PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Saturday
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Team for Saturday  (Read 5545 times)

Alty365

Re: Team for Saturday
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »

I can't say for sure as I wasn't there, but one of my sources at the Wrexham game told me Battersby played very well before getting injured. To be honest, I reckon Lane will be back in the starting line-up on Saturday whatever happens, but if Battersby is pushing him for a starting place I think that's a good situation for the team to be in. 

Longman

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 03:44:17 PM »

I think it's a strange one with Bats, he is undoubtedly a fairly solid right back, however he is just so laid back when he's playing he worries me, I think i'd start with him on Saturday though.

The Fan

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »

ps Anyone know why O'Neill is still on the payroll?

because he is still on a contract, which would cost us money to terminate

He has been here a few years now - was he brought here on a 3 or 4 year contract? If not, who saw fit to put our 5th choice (Little, Senior, Johnson, Denham) striker on a contract?

Madness

Alty365

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »

I think he's in the second year of a two year contract (I may be wrong about this). That being the case, Johnson and Denham were not at the club at the time and Senior probably hadn't signed either. We were very short on strikers at that time and, in any case, I don't think Joe is really used as an out-and-out striker anymore, more of an attacking midfielder who gives us a different option later in games.   

bighairedmike

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

I think he's in the second year of a two year contract (I may be wrong about this). That being the case, Johnson and Denham were not at the club at the time and Senior probably hadn't signed either. We were very short on strikers at that time and, in any case, I don't think Joe is really used as an out-and-out striker anymore, more of an attacking midfielder who gives us a different option later in games.   

Close.

Joe was on a 1 year contract and then during his first summer when there were league clubs looking at him where there was a possible sale we put him on a 2 year contract. The second year of which we are in now.

And i agree with you on how he is being used now. He does give us a different option and i think he is fairly useful when he comes on. Played ok against woking and kiddy when he came on.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »

ps Anyone know why O'Neill is still on the payroll?

Because Johnson doesn't fancy actually being a target man unless the ball is being pinged towards his feet so we'll need Joe at times to come on and try and get hold of it.

What does he fancy being then, it would be interesting to know as that is why thought we brought him in.

It is why we brought him in.

He likes having the ball played into his feet, he's actually quite good at holding off defenders doing this.

Ask him to challenge for headers against big grizzly centre halves, looks like he'd rather wait for one to his feet. Ask Joe O'Neill to challenge a man mountain for a header, as with everything Joe does he'll give it his best shot.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »

Keep O'Neil. If it all goes tits up, he's one you can trust not to jump ship.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »

Anyone know why O'Neill is still on the payroll?

and I thought he did ok as a target man when he came on at Woking albeit he was only on for a few minutes. I'd have though he was a decent squad player.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »

My own opinion is that O'Neill is a decent squad player worth keeping. He scored some important goals last year and i think if it came to it, would score 5/6 important ones this year too. At the end of the day a player that was one of the FIRST on the teamsheet the last few seasons is now lucky to get on the bench, that tells me we've moved forward.

No disrespect (no pun intended) to people like Pat McFadden but as a squad we've now better players to step up if required..

I don't know why but I always fancy Joe to nick a goal, one of them players that gets a goal in a classic smash and grab game...

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »

So, basically we need him for Northwich away.  :)

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »

So, basically we need him for Northwich away.  :)

We could stick out anyone really, no one plays well when they aren't getting paid and have no other job.

The Fan

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »

I didn't really intend to bash Joe O'Neill on this thread to be honest. Maybe I am not keeping up with the times. My point was that we now have our 5th choice striker on a contract. Things have clearly moved on in terms of the clubs finances for this to be deemed ok. 

Alty365

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:06 AM »

I don't think he is regarded as a 5th choice striker though, he is more of an attacking midfielder who gives us something different should we need it. I don't think much of him as a striker but there have been times when he's slotted in behind our strikers and done a great job, for example away at Cambridge last season when he came on and caused them big problems, setting up our goal in the process. He also did a good job when introduced as a late sub at Woking on the opening day.

Joe is a prime example of how we "spread the load", having players who can come on in certain situations but who don't necessarily play all that often. He will never set the world alight and is by no means my favourite player but he is definitely worthy of a place in the squad.

Narcissist

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »

One thing that being an exile does, is make you view the squad statistically.

Based on when we were more of a threat last season, i.e. scoring goals, Joe was on the pitch. He must do something right.

In all the games ive seen him, ive thought he lacked a bit of conviction but my stats computer doesnt lie  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Saturday