PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Saturday
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Team for Saturday  (Read 5544 times)

Alex

Team for Saturday
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:34:39 AM »

What team would you pick for our trip to Eastbourne?

i know we can't have this one:

1. Stuart COBURN, 2. Steve ASPINALL, 3. Chris ADAMS, 4. Mark MADDOX, 5. Gary TALBOT, 6. Eddie HUSSIN (capt), 7. Colin POTTS, 8. Val OWEN, 9. Colin LITTLE, 10. Rod THORNLEY, 11. Gary SCOTT

i'd go for:
Coburn,Battersby,Young, Mc Gregor, Payton, Denham, Danylyk, Lawton, Doughty, Little, Senior.

so basically the same team as monday but with denham playing from the start, with Elam coming off the bench towards the end as an impact player taking advantage of tiered full backs.

Alty365

Re: Team for Saturday
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »

Looking at that line-up, have you got Doughty playing left mid with Peyton at left back or vice versa?

I would probably agree with that line-up if Doughty played at full back.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:26:00 AM by Alty365 »

Longman

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »

Looking at that line-up, have you got Doughty playing left mid with Peyton at left back or vice versa?

I would probably agree with that line-up if Doughty played at full back.

Doughty played left mid against Wrexham, with Peyton playing at left back.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:39:17 AM »

Same except I'd bring Lane back for Battersby. Has Battersby recovered from Monday, I didn't see how bad the injury was.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »

we have all seen that doughty likes to get forward then struggles if there is a quick break to get back in possition. so for me then way we played against wrexham with payton and doughty's roles reversed is how i would play it. and tbh batts looked more solid than lane has

Alty365

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:03 AM »

Didn't realise they played that way round against Wrexham. It was clearly effective so I say stick with it and bring Denham back into the starting line-up.

Longman

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »

Definately start with Denham, he was our only player who was a threat against Kiddy and he changed things when he came on against Wrexham.

The Fan

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »

It all depends on how we plan to play. If we are planning to go there with a "try and grab a point cos its an away game" attitude, Johnson has to play up front with Little playing just off him. In this case I would play Denham on the right in place of Meechan and drop both him and Senior. I know Senior is a cult hero amongst some and provides vital goals at vital times, but he is simply not a player who fits into this way of playing.

If we are going to have a real go at them, things may be different (eg Elam potentially in on the left). As I dont think we will, my team would be:

Coburn
Lane
McGregor
Young
Doughty
Denham
Lawton
Danylyk
Peyton
Little
Johnson

Subs

Ralph
Street
Senior
Elam
Battersby

ps Anyone know why O'Neill is still on the payroll?

Daycare Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »

'cos he costs about £5 a week?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:27:40 PM »

Because Johnson doesn't fancy actually being a target man unless the ball is being pinged towards his feet so we'll need Joe at times to come on and try and get hold of it.

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »

Because Johnson doesn't fancy actually being a target man unless the ball is being pinged towards his feet so we'll need Joe at times to come on and try and get hold of it.

What does he fancy being then, it would be interesting to know as that is why thought we brought him in.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »

because he is still on a contract, which would cost us money to terminate

Alty365

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »

If we are planning to go there with a "try and grab a point cos its an away game" attitude

If we go to places like Eastbourne with this attitude we may as well give up now.

I'm not saying a point there would be a disaster but we have got to go there looking for the win otherwise what the hell are we doing in this league? In the long run I see Eastbourne being one of our relegation rivals this season which makes Saturday a six-pointer. With the defensive setup we had against Wrexham and Denham on from the start I see us having an excellent chance of winning. I'm also expecting it to be a good game.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:23:35 PM by Alty365 »

fuertes

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »

Got to start with Dale. I don't think playing someone who holds the ball up means you're going for a draw, it's just a necessity away from home when at times you'll be under pressure. We have to be realistic, we've made an adequate start to the season but we're not good enough to 'have a go' at teams away from home and expect to have them pinned back the whole time with Senior and Denham terrorising them with penetrative dribbling.

Personally I think Senior is a really good player, but I would seldom start him away from home (up front anyway) because if the ball goes up to him when we're on the back foot it barely ever sticks. Later on when the game might be stretched is the ideal time for him.

Garveys Brother

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 02:13:25 PM »

I would start with lane at right back because although lane is not doing so well i don't believe battersby did so well either. Battersby let the wrexham winger get past him a bit too easily in my opinion and lane has more expireince with alty so should get back to his old self soon.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Saturday