PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane moments
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Moss Lane moments  (Read 8397 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Moss Lane moments
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »

I think it was McGreal Stortford, JR Wycombe - Wycombe 2nd leg? Just shows you how things have changed, the police boarding the coach as it turned off the M40 with 'advice' as to how to charm the locals. 5,000+ with no segregation and we go 2 up after 20 mins or so... it was never going to be pretty was it? Wycombe skins indeed, mind you I can pass for one of those now.

thegazelle

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »

wycombe away the team came out we let the ticker tape go and all hell broke loose. can remember their mob chanting the england song this time more than anyother time.

Got punched and made for a gap at the fence to get on the pitch only to bump into one of the prolze brothers (i think) and miss out by a split second which was just long enough for someone to attempt to open my head with a cider bottle luckily it bounced off and didnt break but left a large lump. spent the rest of the match standing next to coppers ( i was wearing an alty shirt) and discussing how to get back to the coach without going via the handily placed hospital. My mate oz the punk was arrested along with a few others for their own safety.
celebrations consited of 1-0 ... yup (whispered)2-0 .... yup (under my breath) 3.0 humph (shrug of shoulder) final whistle.... slight whistle and a slant of my aching head. walk to coach hiding behind lampposts making ourselves look as small as possible. get on coach GO f**kING BALLISTIC and then go mad again on arrival at police station to collect the walking wounded asylum seekers. doesnt seem like 26 years since i shat myself

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »

that really was every man for himself wasnt it?
me and my mate rick found a place down the side where we could be over the wall and on the pitch in 2 strides and hid like girls for the whole game

Simon Arron

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »

The Sheffield United game was right up there, obviously, and embellished by the fact I was living in Sheffield at the time.

I enjoyed the 4-3 win against Southport in the first round of the 1978/79 FA Cup. They went 2-0 up, we equalised and went ahead in about the 308th minute. They levelled in the 309th and then we scored again immediately.

The 5-4 Mossley comeback - followed by endless beers in The Moss - was marred only the 5-1 capitulation in the second leg.

I rather wish we hadn't scored in the FA Cup second round against Doncaster in 1984. I had whiplash following a car-related mishap the previous day: it hurt like hell when everyone surged  forward.

During a game against Northwich. I gazed right at one point during the first half and saw the family  boxer dog emerge from the tunnel, with my sister attached. She'd locked herself out, so talked her way into the ground and calmly strolled around the pitch to locate me among the braying Golf Road hordes. Not sure the dog was that impressed.

thegazelle

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »

rick wakeman concert the same night as the sheffield away game was good i slept through most of it , nothing to do with the pre match refreshments.do you recall the train journey from sheff on the monday they were cocky as cocky can be would have loved to have seen there faces after but it was best not to dwell on it as they had thousands of very angry young men in the golf road

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »

rick wakeman concert the same night as the sheffield away game was good i slept through most of it , nothing to do with the pre match refreshments.do you recall the train journey from sheff on the monday they were cocky as cocky can be would have loved to have seen there faces after but it was best not to dwell on it as they had thousands of very angry young men in the golf road

Including Paul Heaton of The Housemartins and The Beautiful South fame, by all accounts.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

thegazelle

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »

alledgedly and sean bean was probably one of their top boys

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »

Did he "Join the Caravan of Gloom"?  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »

alledgedly and sean bean was probably one of their top boys

Well they certainly could have done with somebody Sharpe on the pitch!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Simon Arron

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 06:40:04 PM »

Remember the Wakeman gig well. We were drinking (Castle Eden, I think) in The Museum and knew it wasn't yet  time to cross the road to the City Hall, largely because the star turn was supping at the bar about four feet to our right.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 06:48:37 PM »

Did he "Join the Caravan of Gloom"?  ::)

I don't know, because he kept it all in...

Certainly not a happy hour for the boy Heaton, anyhow.

P.S. I wonder if he was thinking fondly of the gazelle when he wrote the song Old Red Eyes Is Back...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »

were there lots of them in the golf road? i watched the game from the pop side as i had a girl with me. i asked her out little realising that alty were going to get a draw so our first date was the 3-0 demolition of sheff utd. didnt last long. i remember them trying to break down the gates at the chequers end
honestly thats the first time in all those years anyone has said they were in our end. i must have been *ahem* preoccupied

Aussie Bob

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »

I dont remember any of them in the Golf road end ...they were very feral at the end of the game and i do remember them trying to get out of the chequers end onto the pitch....they may well have tried to break down the chequers end gates as well....they werent happy campers thats for sure ... 

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2008, 05:53:46 PM »

How about today, might count as a low point having to be abandonded.
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane moments