PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane moments
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Moss Lane moments  (Read 8399 times)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Moss Lane moments
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »

i just read back what i posted. of course it was stanley, i knew that and meant to write it but for some reason i wrote the wrong name.

o'keefe was just about the best player i ever saw in non league
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:09:01 PM by jiminlondon »

baldrick

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »

Edgar Kail is officially the best non league player ever

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »

That Mossley game was the last time I left a ground before the end. Trains were every 30 mins then so I thought I'd cut my losses and get back to Sale in time for a couple of extra pints. Walking down Moss Lane listening to the cheers behind me every 3 or 4 mins!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

mr f.trucker

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »

Didn't Mossley  have a tall dark skinned player called Leo Skeete?
seem to remember he was pretty good against us.

Best..The F.A. cup replay against spurs at Maine road,I know we lost but the emotion of a young lad watching the team he loves playing in front of a massive crowd under floodlights,prob my favorite Alty memory.

Worst/silliest..Slightly worse for wear I recall walking past the Leigh Rmi fans who were in the Golf road end( yes they had some fans way back then) in ,I think it was the F.A.cup or trophy?,singing an abusive song while holding a meat and potato pie in each hand,arms aloft in the air.

Strangely i escaped without a scratch,think they were to busy laughing and verbally abusing me to bother to attack.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:46:16 PM by mr f.trucker »

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 04:34:17 PM »

Best - Altrincham 1-0 Wigan FA Cup 2nd Round 1994, screamed with delight after Sharratt scored and couldn't believe how well Collings played, Spurs must have thought he was our strong point because he was given a dead leg with 10 minutes at WHL  :D

Worst - Probably last Boxing Day, just seemed no fight or passion in the team AT ALL ! Also our relegation in 1997

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »

That night stevenage relegated us in was it 96 i listened on GMR as a 10 year old lad and wept my arse off my dad was away on business and my mum just didn't and still doesn't understand.

best, promotion under bernard taylor i was too young to know the background stories, excessive spending just knew that the winning thing was fun!

To my knowledge, that was the only match in the club's history where we have had a full live commentary on the radio.....I was doing the main commentary & Mark Harris was doing the Lawrenson bit! ::)

I believe the date was April 29th 1997.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 09:59:58 PM »

I hope you applied the compulsory BBC local radio bias.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:44:03 PM »

I think the best moment, and I don't know why when there were so many highs during that 1990-91 season but Ken McKenna's winner against Kettering. Never felt like that before or since, something really special was happening.

The worst, given that Slough away is not at Moss Lane was um..oh I dunno, probably that 97 season, perhaps not STevenage so much as we knew the game had more or less gone by then, perhaps when Dover's donkey of a centre half leathered in an outrageous 40 yard free kick that beat ius 2-1 which really put us in the sh*t. Altho, that may have been an equaliser, think they scored another ridiculously excellent goal as well.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 07:52:17 AM »

I hope you applied the compulsory BBC local radio bias.

My recollection is that it was remarkably impartial......although I did get a touch excited when Sammy Ayorinde equalised :D.....only for Barry Hayles to dampen my renewed hopes a few minutes later! >:(

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »

Frankly, there are too many great Moss Lane moments to mention and some of them have already been recalled in this thread.

Looking back, a key moment in my Alty supporting years was the 2-0 FA Cup 1st Round victory over Hartlepool back in November 1973.

I'd started watching Alty circa 1972 but it was this particular match that almost certainly ensured that I would be hooked for life as an Alty follower.

Andy Windsor struck an awesome 30 yard thunderbolt into the net for the second goal and that is probably why I'm still here almost 35 years later! 

As for Moss Lane low points....well, losing to Wycombe in the 1991 FA Trophy semi-final second leg was an absolute sickener.

Or how about that 1-1 draw against Hednesford Town in March 1997, when they equalised with a 96th minute penalty (as so memorably announced by Mark Harris!) and Carmody and Heesom were sent off.
I think I knew then that relegation that season was inevitable.

In more recent times, I can't recall feeling more depressed than when we lost 2-1 at home to a truly pitiful Wakefield & Emley team in the Unibond Premier Division back in March 2004.
Any prospect of a return to the Conference at that juncture/nadir seemed about as likely as George Heslop winning a Brad Pitt lookalike competition..... 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:56:31 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »

There have been too many fantastic moments at ML over the years but of course beating Macc was always sweet; the Sheffield game was amazing (stood on the grass bank LHS of main stand right behind Barry Howards scramer as it zoomed in the net!) but my favourite was the joint testimonial win over Man City. In one sense, it didn't mean anything but in another, the performance that night epitomised all that was Alty.

Worst: the couple of friendly games coming into the NPL from the CL.
1. Gainsborough Trinity? who are they? 3-3 and should have been battered
2. Morecambe? Lancashire Combination - is that a league?  We DID get battered
I think the juvenile scales fell from my eyes after that and I went into our first few campaigns (about 7 actually) not expecting too much any more ... The Leatherhead final and the APL first two years were truly the second coming and were worth the wait!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Aussie Bob

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 07:16:03 AM »

The Sheffield game was incredible ...in those days we feared no one from 3rd / 4th divsion. the Mossley game was legendary ...we got smashed all over the place then the last 20 minutes came back from 4-1 down to 5-4 (i am pretty sure we got a hiding in the 2nd leg) The Leyton Orient Game was memorable for being the biggest crowd i was ever in at Moss Lane it was packed. There was a mid week game against Barnet in the early eighties where we won 7-0 (i think) ..giving the Barnet fans crap all night was fun ..

thegazelle

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »

was the barnet game when we beat them with our reserves,
we did indeed get walloped at mossley5-1 and their nice fans still tried to kill us i can remember hanging onto the emergency door on nthe coach to stop the so and sos getting on board. weren't the seventies great

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »

Remember the game after Hartlepool - Blackburn in a 2nd Round  replay. Kicked off at 2pm because of the 3 day week and all AGS lads got the afternoon off to watch the game. Politics, Power Cuts and the Alty.

I remember that mauling at Mossley too - strange bunch up there then. In the league match the coaches got bricked but the window pane next to me was hit with nothing more than a meat pie - the inside of which was sliding down the outside. Presumably the crust has dislodged itself like a culinary cluster bomb.

What about those great Trophy games too - Telford 73, Weymouth & Scarboro 77, last min equalisers against Bishops Stortford and Wycombe both 82, not forgetting Enfield in 86 of course. Although I'll always remember a 2-0 league win against Wigan in 72 with a 40 yarder from Alan Wolfe.

Thing is I think the second Rotherham Cup match is our greatest game- they were 5th or 6th in Div 3 (League 1 now). At no point in that game did we ever look in trouble even when they got a dreadful penalty and we strolled to a 2-0 win including a top corner curler from Barry Howard. I'll always remember the look on their fans faces drinking in the club when our special train pulled in next to the ground. Must've been about 2,500 Alty fans, the train had that many coaches it was too long for the platform at Alty station!   

Didn't we beat Barnet 2-0 with the reserves in 82 as we were in the middle of our Trophy run - the great Phil McGreal scoring?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 10:36:59 AM »

i cant remember if it was that particular mossley game but i remember being there one evening when there were some lads kicking a ball around on the pitch at half time. there was an announcemen 'would the boys playing football leave the pitch now, the players are coming out'  but they carried on 'come on lads clear the pitch now' but they carried on  ' oi, get off the f***ing pitch'
funny what you remember

the rotherham match was indeed the best performance i ever saw. i found that day really emotional because it was so damn professional. barry howard beat the full back about 4 times on his scoring run

didnt phil mcgreal get both those last minute equalisers against bishops stortford and wycombe? both flying headers?
the bishops stortford replay and the wycombe second leg also stand as some of the great performances
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Moss Lane moments