PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spend or Save?

Poll

With £100k in the bank - When should we spend the cup money on new players?

ASAP- we need a big playoff push
- 30 (68.2%)
Close season - Build a solid team for 2013/14
- 11 (25%)
Never - invest it in upgrading facilities and community awareness
- 3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Spend or Save?  (Read 8393 times)

markecky

Re: Spend or Save?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »

If we decided to save it for next season (not that that option has been discussed anywhere outside of this message board) we'd become the first team to ever write off the playoffs whilst being in them.

Yes our position is now false thanks to the last seven days but other teams may also suffer similar fates.

I think we have to strengthen now because the squad needs strengthening.  We still want to win every game and get in the playoffs.

It seems that if people say things often enough on here they become fact.  Like the two year plan that was invented on here.

Who actually knows how many contacts the backroom staff (between Lee Sinnott, Neil Tolson and Ian Senior) have.  Surely by the fact all have managed and played (or both)  in non league they have quite a few.

Maybe the board are all liars and they should be sacked along with the manager.

If we carry on with such venomous posts there will be about 3 people left posting on here by the end of the season.

We're all disappointed with the last week.

Can we ease off on the civil war until at least every hope is lost?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:28 AM »

Apart from the last two games, I have actually really enjoyed this season and we have played some fantastic football.  It's been a step up from last season!!
The problem with spending now is that there can't be that many good players available at this stage of the season, maybe try for the playoffs with what we have for now (we're still a very good team) and look to bring in new players in the summer. We all seem to agree on who needs to be released!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »

Without wanting to state the obvious or upset the apple cart, players should have been signed during the transfer window when every other club was signing players, and strengthening for the last third of the season. And we've had 6 years of doing ourselves down, and quite rightly as we were up against it pitting our wits against comparably big clubs, but please the "we can't compete, and we should just try our best and see what happens" mantra isn't acceptable at this level, playoffs should be bare minimum for a club of our standing, bare minimum.What happens if two more get injured or sent off on Saturday??

bighairedmike

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

Without wanting to state the obvious or upset the apple cart, players should have been signed during the transfer window when every other club was signing players, and strengthening for the last third of the season. And we've had 6 years of doing ourselves down, and quite rightly as we were up against it pitting our wits against comparably big clubs, but please the "we can't compete, and we should just try our best and see what happens" mantra isn't acceptable at this level, playoffs should be bare minimum for a club of our standing, bare minimum.What happens if two more get injured or sent off on Saturday??

Nail. Head. Square shot.

markecky

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »

No one at the club has ever said that though have they.  Some fans have.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

Fans shouldn't be saying it, it must be the easiest job in football this.People actually clapped that off on Saturday..... I try to be objective, but we basically get one injury and we haven't got enough about us to beat a side that's only beaten droylsden and Hinckley at home since September....

Beaver

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »

Are the players out there available? Its not a great time of year now.

We should have done this in January. A couple of new faces couldn't have hurt even when we were winning games.

Going into the last third of the season with pretty much every team facing a pile up of fixtures BSP downwards not many teams are going to let a midfield general go out on loan even if they arent getting a game.

Get back in yer box!

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »

What surprises me more Socrates is that no one seems to have seen this lull coming.  I am not in the least bit surprised we have lost our last 2 after our performance against Corby, it was a miracle we didn't lose that one too.
With all the bad weather recently and heavy pitches, any club relying on the same 11, 12 or 13 part-time players will come unstuck, as we have, our squad isn't of sufficient quality in depth.  It is perhaps now too late in the season to expect quality signings though.  Save for next season?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »

If we don't make the playoffs we should be looking for a new manager also.

taxi Phil

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »

Then he can sign an.entire New squad from scratch, and work towards promotion in 2016. Sorry Pete, not like you, but total bollocks.

The current squad could still make the playoffs. They COULD even win them with a lot of luck. But there would have to be money spent if we did.

Sinnott may not be perfect, but who's out there that's likely to be any better ? Apart from Dino's pal Gary Lowe of course.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »

Then he can sign an.entire New squad from scratch, and work towards promotion in 2016. Sorry Pete, not like you, but total bollocks.

The current squad could still make the playoffs. They COULD even win them with a lot of luck. But there would have to be money spent if we did.

Sinnott may not be perfect, but who's out there that's likely to be any better ? Apart from Dino's pal Gary Lowe of course.

Wasn't this the argument about not getting rid of Heathcote?

If we don't reach the playoffs this season Sinnott will have failed again. If he fails this season it is even less excusable than last season given the better quality of players.

In fact, having the best striker in the league and one of the best young players in non-league makes any failure even more difficult to swallow.

WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »

I'm not LS's biggest fan but i won't be calling for head just yet.

Who how's how the rest of the season Will pan out?

One  thing i know for sure we've played some fantastic football at times.
Full time and proud of it

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

All we need or ask for is two or three signings of quality on loan if need be to give us a chance of making play offs surely that can be done ?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »

I'm not calling for the managers head, im hoping we get promoted via the playoffs, and he goes on to greater success in the league above, however I think anybody has the right to ask questions should qe fail to make the playoffs yet again. I understand the premise of building a decent young side that can compete in the level above, which is great, however its never going to come to fruition if your wanking off 6 points against Workington et al, lets get out of this league first and foremost....

Jimmy

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »

I'm not LS's biggest fan but i won't be calling for head just yet.

Who how's how the rest of the season Will pan out?

One  thing i know for sure we've played some fantastic football at times.
I'm not convinced by him however with us being 4th he is doing what we've asked however if we do fail to make playoffs he has failed twice
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spend or Save?