PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spend or Save?

Poll

With £100k in the bank - When should we spend the cup money on new players?

ASAP- we need a big playoff push
- 30 (68.2%)
Close season - Build a solid team for 2013/14
- 11 (25%)
Never - invest it in upgrading facilities and community awareness
- 3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Spend or Save?  (Read 8394 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Spend or Save?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »

We won't get the chance of playing stockport and maybe even macc in a league game every season ls should be at least telling us what he intends to do re bringing in players

Get back in yer box!

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

Our current league postion flatters us slightly due to the fewer numbers of games others have played.  Realistically, both Gainsborough and Halifax are better funded and have higher aspirations than our current club/owners can summon or afford.

Therefore I would spend any money we have on the long term, facilities and community.  Without a new set of directors with full-time or league football ambitions, which I am not asking for here, by the way, we are at our level and should be wary of aiming too high.  I would rather watch good football at this level than survival football at Conference level any day.

As a SC**thorpe fan, I have seen what over ambition does to a club.

Steady as she goes Mr.Sinnott... :)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »

We dont want to be wasting money now, but we do need another combatitive midfeilder at present.

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »

we are at our level and should be wary of aiming too high. I would rather watch good football at this level than survival football at Conference level any day.

I can't agree with this I'm afraid, you are entitled to your opinion of course but if we are "at our level" then are you suggesting the aim is to just exist in the BSN and enjoy this "good football" forever?!

I would rather watch the team in a survival battle in the Conference any day.

bumble

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 01:52:39 PM »

we are at our level and should be wary of aiming too high. I would rather watch good football at this level than survival football at Conference level any day.

I can't agree with this I'm afraid, you are entitled to your opinion of course but if we are "at our level" then are you suggesting the aim is to just exist in the BSN and enjoy this "good football" forever?!

I would rather watch the team in a survival battle in the Conference any day.

Indeed I agree with Mrs Pork Pie

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

I've never understood the logic of wanting to be at BSN winning more, as opposed to struggling at BSP. What happens when you win so many games at BSN that you could be promoted? Decline to go up? We can live within our means and survive in BSP. A struggle, yes, but we could survive.

To answer the thread question, yes we need to strengthen the squad. If there are funds they should be spent. I'm sure they will be too.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »

We dont want to be wasting money now?does that mean we can only get good players at the end of the season?
Harold

Get back in yer box!

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »

Gents, I fully understand your opposing position and respect it.
I would call you guys 'true fans, diehard fans', as opposed to me, I support Alty less fervently.  I want to be entertained as well, so not  a supporter at all cost.  I didn't enjoy the relegation season that much, for instance.

If we had owners with the means and the ambition, I would be happy to go on the journey up the leagues, but Alty are a part-time outfit with limited means and ambition, and there is no disgrace in that either.  The Conference has moved on.  It isn't Telford, Runcorn and Northwich these days, its Grimsby, Luton and Wrexham.  We don't have the means to compete season in, season out with their likes currently.  Alty have something special, a heritage and a place in the community untarnished by debt.

Be careful what you wish for...

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »

I would call you guys 'true fans, diehard fans', as opposed to me, I support Alty less fervently.  I want to be entertained as well, so not  a supporter at all cost.  I didn't enjoy the relegation season that much, for instance.

If we had owners with the means and the ambition, I would be happy to go on the journey up the leagues, but Alty are a part-time outfit with limited means and ambition, and there is no disgrace in that either.  The Conference has moved on.  It isn't Telford, Runcorn and Northwich these days, its Grimsby, Luton and Wrexham.  We don't have the means to compete season in, season out with their likes currently.  Alty have something special, a heritage and a place in the community untarnished by debt.

I think most would agree with what you say. The issue is about spending money we supposedly have, to help get promotion from BSN.  Thats very different from getting heavily into debt trying to win BSP.

bumble

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

Yes but bare in mind whilst we were up there we had 2 decent seasons, and if we can play long term rather than playing season to season theres no reason we cant sustain Conference midtable football coming 14th each year

Looking at the bottom 12 only Lincoln really should be higher up.

Bottom 12 of BSP currently....

Southport -
Woking
Stockport County - freefall
Tamworth -
Alfreton Town -
Hyde -
Lincoln City - shouldnt be there but obviously larger
Braintree Town -
Gateshead - big money man is walking away
---------------------------------
Nuneaton Town -
AFC Telford United
Barrow
Ebbsfleet United

ScoreDaws

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »

Has the chairman has actually stated how much money LS may have available to spend? 

What. would you say is an acceptable amount to spend as to try gain promotion? 10K 30K 50K?

Or, as no profit from the cup games was forecast, would you be willing to risk it now or save it until close season?

JDN

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »

maybe you should keep hush

As by you own admission your not a true diehard fan

To say we are in a false position is ludicrous, we par

The very least we should expect is a play off position

Can we not compete in this league?

I read in the local press months ago that the cup money was available to the manager if he required it. Well that was either a lie = serious questions need to be asked, or the manager thinks he has enough = he should be sacked for being so naive, or the manager can't attract or dosent have the right contacts to get the right players in = sack the manager for being incompetent

Something not ringing true somewhere? What was the basis we appointed this manager on?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »

maybe you should keep hush

As by you own admission your not a true diehard fan

To say we are in a false position is ludicrous, we par

The very least we should expect is a play off position

Can we not compete in this league?

I read in the local press months ago that the cup money was available to the manager if he required it. Well that was either a lie = serious questions need to be asked, or the manager thinks he has enough = he should be sacked for being so naive, or the manager can't attract or dosent have the right contacts to get the right players in = sack the manager for being incompetent

Something not ringing true somewhere? What was the basis we appointed this manager on?

spot on

Hamilton

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »

I'm willing to give Lee the benefit of the doubt. If he has the money to spend he has to spend it wisely and find players who are available. And which team wants to lose their better players?
 The best source would be to look at teams at a lower level - but this can be a risk.
Another source is loanees, but they cannot guarantee fitting into the team and , if only here for a month, could just destabalise a team or just simple see a non league team as below them.

I think it is very difficult for Lee to get the right players

Jimmy

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »

I agree it is a better idea to get players from a slightly lower level but because Sinnott has acted to late may have be unwanted or unattached which is not ideal but we need players
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spend or Save?