PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spend or Save?

Poll

With £100k in the bank - When should we spend the cup money on new players?

ASAP- we need a big playoff push
- 30 (68.2%)
Close season - Build a solid team for 2013/14
- 11 (25%)
Never - invest it in upgrading facilities and community awareness
- 3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Spend or Save?  (Read 8395 times)

RocketDan

Spend or Save?
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »

Despite the last two results, the play offs are still in our sights. It's time to strengthen the squad and give it a big push! There may be other managers who would get more out of the money available, but Sinnott won it so he should get to spend it.

taxi Phil

Re: Spend or Save?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »

I really thought this was our year, but, whilst we're better than last time round, it's a bit late in the day to throw money at a play off push.

Chester have flown, they won't be caught.

Guiseley are practically certain to finish second, and I fancy Halifax to run in to third now they've no other focus. Both of them are, unfortunately, perfectly likely to do us with ground advantage, even if we stiffened with three or four new signings.

Save the money, tie one or two more to contracts, get rid of Hall, Rodgers, Lacey, Brooke, and Mitchley at the end of the season.

Sign a big strong centre back, a hard tackling midfielder, and a big quick target man. I believe we need a squad of 19 or 20, plus youth players on forms, if we are to have any chance of winning a league which will include Halifax or Guiseley, plus probably Telford, Barrow, and Nuneaton.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

Save the money, tie one or two more to contracts, get rid of Hall, Rodgers,Lacey, Brooke, and Mitchley at the end of the season.

Really Phil? If anything, yesterday showed how much we miss Rodgers, don't notice how much he actually does until he is not in the side (ala Lawton 3 years ago). Others I've have no arguement with (is Mitchley unfit? Certainly a better player than Brooke from what I've seen)

There is no way, after 2 defeats (all be it we thought it would be 2 wins), that we write off this season. By my guess, we would need 10 wins from the remaining 16 games to get in the play offs (73pts). Where that will put us in the table,who knows. Given what might happen at Brackley, if people worry about home advantage, it is imperative we finish 4th. But play offs are a lottery. We beat 2nd place Nuneaton away and 4th place Kettering away in 2005, when we finished 5th.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Robins Retweet

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »

What sort of players are available now? Loans? Players unhappy at their current clubs? I just hope and pray we have been tracking some or someone at least, two experianced heads would give our squad a great boost.

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »

There's every chance we will make playoffs but this squad won't compete with guiseley Halifax etc I say get players in because next season with what's coming down life get no easier

Bath Alty

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »

if we can find someone who can relegate one of the current first team to the bench then spend otherwise keep it - no point paying extra for squad players now, that won't make the difference

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »

There's every chance we will make playoffs but this squad won't compete with guiseley Halifax etc I say get players in because next season with what's coming down life get no easier

Over 42 games, I agree this squad can't compete with them. However, over a 2 legged tie and a final, we are capable of beating them, given we make the one of 2 signings required so we can change things.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »

The poll leaves out my preferred option... spend a bit to put the squad under a bit of pressure. Too many are coasting in the knowledge that they'll play each week. 2 or 3 decent loans, won't break the bank, but may just refocus the squad as the only pressure on places is currently from the young lads.

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »

Save the money, tie one or two more to contracts, get rid of Hall, Rodgers,Lacey, Brooke, and Mitchley at the end of the season.

Really Phil? If anything, yesterday showed how much we miss Rodgers, don't notice how much he actually does until he is not in the side (ala Lawton 3 years ago). Others I've have no arguement with (is Mitchley unfit? Certainly a better player than Brooke from what I've seen)

There is no way, after 2 defeats (all be it we thought it would be 2 wins), that we write off this season. By my guess, we would need 10 wins from the remaining 16 games to get in the play offs (73pts). Where that will put us in the table,who knows. Given what might happen at Brackley, if people worry about home advantage, it is imperative we finish 4th. But play offs are a lottery. We beat 2nd place Nuneaton away and 4th place Kettering away in 2005, when we finished 5th.

My thought on Carl Rodgers is that we need the infrastructure of a BSP squad already in place if we go up next season. He's OK at this level when he's fit (not often enough), but he wouldn't hack it at the higher level in my opinion, and we should plan ahead on that basis.

JDN

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:04 AM »

Jake Moult is not good enough either

And why on earth is James Lawrie signed up for next season?

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:32 AM »

Save for 2013/14

bigedd

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »

Spend . we might not get another chance.Come on Alty fc.dont let this chance slip away.Lets get moving.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »

Lets wait until next season, then We can blame FC United and AFC Telford for our failings as opposed to Chester and Guisley...... lack of depth,lack of character and lack of technical knowhow to play anything other than a flat 4-4-2 regardless of the opposition or conditions are the reason we arernt now sat firmly entrenched in a playoff place, not because guiseley have a few quid. I wasn't going to post on here this week due to being that bastard cross after Saturday, but for some to suggest we don't strengthen now when in 4th place and wait until next season is as ludicrous as I've ever heard, there's plenty of players available, its having the contacts to talk to them...

arnald

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »

yes any longer in this league and we will be forgoten
saying that i cant see us losing on satday at home
well if we do panick will step in

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »

I too now, are of the opinion that we should spend some of the cup money now before its too late...

I think Saturday's game against Colwyn Bay is of major significance after our last two results..

At the last meet the manager get together, Neil Tolson said this present team will get better the more games it plays, he also said that there will be blips on the way.  I am now just hoping that the last two games were the blips and we get back on to a decent run again.

What I fail to comprehend is why our Blips are always against the lesser lights of the league..

I agree with other comments that we are a bit one dimentional when it comes to tactics and we most definitely need some orrible nasty git to lead us, especially when things are turning pear shaped on the pitch.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spend or Save?