PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 who was.......
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: who was.......  (Read 8375 times)

Jacko

Re: who was.......
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »

what is certain is both swindells and kingy were ridiculously good signings, if you want pure goals then js, if you want influence and passion then jk, its like pele verses zidane!!!

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »

Dead heat.. big Jack and Kingy

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »

I saw the end of jackie swindells glorious days and withoutdoubt  he is a great but for shear influence presence and leadership it has to be kingy add to that being instrumental in saving the club from maunder''s clutches.

loads of other reasons like just for T**tting Tuohy on the way off the pitch one night. kicking crap out of argentinians Ardiles villa  unscrewing the salt pot so oi put 4lb of salt on my chips at frickley , getting kicked inthe balls by joe neenan ( ian Botham honestly told me he was going to batter kingy if he ever met him , i risked my life to tell him my money was on kingy). Coming back on in a terrry butcheresque type way against sheff utd (SOMEONE nees to find that picture of him heading the ball with a spurt of blood coming out as he did it . Bob hatton refused to play in the replay as he was scared. but i''ll never never  forgive him  for that woeful penalty miss against the green slime. 

re sheff utd      just looked up on the interweb trying to find the teams they had players worth 200,000  playing for them, Ian porterfield had a 10 year contractand we battered them.

Bottom line   Johnny King a footballing god

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »

I, and I'm sure many others would love to know what Kingy said to Joe Neenan that night face to face.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

I know, Kingy once told me, it involved the status of him and his mother  ;D

thegazelle

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »

it was also something to do with the fact that kingy had bundled him to his own goal and  kicked him and elbowed him all over the 18 yard box in the first game.

without trying  to name drop  the fight where botham got arrested in sC**thorpe was because he stood up for joe neenan against two scunny fans who attacked neenan in a club for kneeing kingy.

i can still recall the moment of silence before we realised that it was a foul and therefore a penalty and then going ballistic one of the greatest golf road surges of a;l time well before crush barriers.

oh god please let me feel like that once again before i go

York Alty

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »

it was a cloghead called Steven isbister that Neenan lamped.  He was fined £100...pages 106-107 of "Botham".

Kingys Beard

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 04:08:19 AM »

King Jack and King John tied for all time.  There should be statues to the both of them outside the ground.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 05:46:44 AM »

I would say jacky,but will throw Jonny Rogers into the pot.He was a very good signing.Then there was Stepney who would have thought we would get a player like him?
Harold

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »

It has to be Jackie Swindells - I reckon most of the elder statesman on this forum would agree on that.. The bloke scored for fun..

There was also a bloke from that era called Les Campbell who was also very good...

Not forgetting Frank Peters.
 We had lots of blinking good players at that time.

Indeed. I recall he had a big mop of bushy hair... I believe he now lives in Shropshire not too far from me.  It would be nice to speak to him again

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »

Truth is, in the days of Kingy, Rogers, Heathcote (remember the chants, remember the player), Howard, Bailey, Whitbread, Johnson, etc we continually made record signings and payed non-league top dollar. We were nicknamed the Man Utd of non-league for christ sakes....completely different playing field now and a top signing now would arguably be even better given our constraints in terms of buying and paying power. That was some team and I don't think you quite grasp how truly fortunate you are to be watching such a team at the time. It's only after decades of watching mediocre (and worse) sides that you become all misty eyed with glorious retrospection......that and the feeling that you may never see the like again......sighs

Never really saw Swindells, so for me    "Oh Johnny is our King, oh Johnny is our King,  oh Johnny is our King...."
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »

Truth is, in the days of Kingy, Rogers, Heathcote (remember the chants, remember the player), Howard, Bailey, Whitbread, Johnson, etc we continually made record signings and payed non-league top dollar. We were nicknamed the Man Utd of non-league for christ sakes....completely different playing field now and a top signing now would arguably be even better given our constraints in terms of buying and paying power. That was some team and I don't think you quite grasp how truly fortunate you are to be watching such a team at the time. It's only after decades of watching mediocre (and worse) sides that you become all misty eyed with glorious retrospection......that and the feeling that you may never see the like again......sighs

Never really saw Swindells, so for me    "Oh Johnny is our King, oh Johnny is our King,  oh Johnny is our King...."
I wish you had, he was one class finisher.
We had our chants them far far past days, ie like we've got a tank called Halliwell, and Bertie Mee
said to Joe Harvey...........but I've heared of the "Golf Road Enders".Good days, and I think they are coming again soon :)

anglo alty

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:56 AM »

taking into account jackie swindells colin little graham heathcote and the rest of tony sanders team i must go for the king pride in the shirt commitment aggression (in spades) inspirational leader and later manager and a good all round footballer who could get from box to box defended well and scored a few as well

altyazz

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »

collin little  ;D

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »

For a purely financial reason, I am going for Ian Craney.

shirley for financial reasons it would be Kevin Ellison. 50K ++?? (isnt that the most we've received for a player?)

for the modern age, i think Little for his goals, or Coburn for his 509 (and counting) appearances.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 who was.......