News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport

Author Topic: Stockport  (Read 2333 times)

Dougals Dad

Stockport
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »

According to Sky news Jim Gannon wants to play the remainder of Stockports homepitch is in good enough games away from Edgeley Park. If the pitch at ML will hold up, could this get a few pennies in the kitty?

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »

According to Sky news Jim Gannon wants to play the remainder of Stockports homepitch is in good enough games away from Edgeley Park. If the pitch at ML will hold up, could this get a few pennies in the kitty?

No with two or three games a week between ourselves and Man u res it would not do the pitch any good
@AltyDaz

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »

Interstingly enough, i know a Stockport County fan at work who has been attending a number of crisis meetings held over the past few months as they are in big trouble financially.

One aspect of their troubles is that they need to find nearly half a million by the end of the season to buy the ground back from Sale Sharks or they face having to pay big rent to Sale next year which they cant afford. Their board have apparently stated that they are thinking of approaching us with a view to a ground share next season. Doubt this would ever come off but it would be a bit odd.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:58:42 PM »

Interstingly enough, i know a Stockport County fan at work who has been attending a number of crisis meetings held over the past few months as they are in big trouble financially.

One aspect of their troubles is that they need to find nearly half a million by the end of the season to buy the ground back from Sale Sharks or they face having to pay big rent to Sale next year which they cant afford. Their board have apparently stated that they are thinking of approaching us with a view to a ground share next season. Doubt this would ever come off but it would be a bit odd.

Not that odd as its prob the nearest ground to them although macc is prob not far either

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »

Any deal like this would have to be done on our terms and would have to benefit Altrincham F.C. substantially. In our current financial situation it might be the answer to our prayers, but it would definitely rule out United Reserves playing here if it went ahead.

What is worth more to us, United Reserves or Stockport County?

I would hazard a guess that United probably pay quite well for the use of our facilities and it puts a minimal strain on our resources. Stockport matches would stretch us to the limit in every conceivable respect.

Also, does Moss Lane hold a sufficient grading to stage League 1 football matches? There might be some rule regarding seating capacity that it might fall short on but I don't know for sure.

My gut feeling is that the idea would be a non-starter, but all possible avenues of income should still be explored.
Come on Alty!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »

Any idea to bring in extra cash is worth mooting over, but I think having Cockport as tennants is not a good one.
1. Our pitch would not hold up to an extra 30+ games a season. United temporarily took their reserve games away due to problems with our pitch and regular postponements.
2. Already this season we have had to postpone games due to weather, so cramming another club's fixture rescheduling at the end of the season would be a distasterto Alty's home shedule.
3. I think we could expect that sharing our pitch with another club full time would lead to a couple of Alty games a season being postponed due to pitch damage, which is not acceptable.
4. We already struggle to attract the stragglers and casual supporters in this area without them being attracted to League football. Having County would have a negative affect on Altyr home gates.
5. I also fear County would dictate to us when we could they could play their games and when we could play ours.Being a League club they have always had the opinion that they are superior to us.
6. Although County have never played in the same division as ourselves. they are direct competition. They are one of the many league clubs that would be better off part-time as they cannot financially sustain full time football.
7. Amyone remember the days when the undemocratic voting system stopped us from becoming a League Club? When we use to go 2 or 3 up against the likes of Gravesend, Runcorn, Redditch ect, the Golf Road End would sarcastically sing "Youre worse than Stockport County" !!! County and Crewe were in those days near the bottom of Division 4. We were part time we but had a better side than any 3rd or 4th Division Club. It could be the same now if full time clubs did not get away with living above their means.
8. If County came to Moss Lane, United reserves could switch to Edgely Park as rent costs would not worry Unitied. Liverpool reserves play their home games on a Rugby League ground - Warrington.
9. I think we should look into the possibitly of our relationship with United generating more income. How about United making a donation to improving facilities at Moss Lane or resurfacing the pitch as it would benefit both clubs?

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 08:45:24 AM »

I think we should forget about Stockport and try to get the Man Utd first team games at Moss Lane.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »

If it's play here or go to the wall, then it should be the former. Letting a football club go under when you could do something isn't acceptable.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport