PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta Shield
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Setanta Shield  (Read 4872 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Setanta Shield
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »

Attendances can be dodgy due to the fact that all teams outside of Belfast have a poor following (with the exception of Portadown who aren't in the Prem this year and Derry who play in the Eircom). However, Linfield rarely fall below 2,000 and when the big two play each other they usually get around 10,000 or more. Don't see many attendances that high down South.

Indeed and the publishing of attendances over here is far from scientific. However, there were three teams in the Eircom premier last season who averaged well above 2000 per game and another three with average attendances over 1900. All bar two of the clubs in the Eircom premier averaged above 1000 per game and two of the teams in the first averaged above 1000. Attendances of over 5000 are not uncommon for certain fixtures and several of the clubs involved in European action have had crowds of over twenty thousand for certain fixtures. To say that Linfield and Glentoran are the biggest clubs on the Island is arguable to say the least.......but we digress.....apologies to other readers for my steering this thread down a tangential cul-de-sac. I'll shut up now.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »

CSC has always been a waste of time for me.

You wouldn't say that if you had ever experienced the glamour of an away tie against Cammell Laird....!

Or stood proud and true to be Alty, shoulder to shoulder with the cows at Middlewich....

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

You wouldn't say that if you had ever experienced the glamour of an away tie against Cammell Laird....!

Ahh yes. Were they not also our opponents when we received the fine from the Cheshire FA? I seem to recall that the game was played at some sort of ridiculous time on a weekday afternoon as they had no floodlights. I think our reserve outfit was beaten 3-0 (but my memory is not the most reliable ever).
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »

Ahh yes. Were they not also our opponents when we received the fine from the Cheshire FA? I seem to recall that the game was played at some sort of ridiculous time on a weekday afternoon as they had no floodlights. I think our reserve outfit was beaten 3-0 (but my memory is not the most reliable ever).

Uncle G,

Your memory is more reliable than you believe...

5th January 1981
Cheshire Senior Cup First Round

Altrincham...2
Cammell Laird...2

(This match was played two days after our FA Cup Third Round tie against Liverpool).

13th January 1981
Cheshire Senior Cup First Round Replay

Cammell Laird...3
Altrincham...0

(I think that you are correct in your assumption that this was played on a Tuesday afternoon owing to the absence of floodlights at CL's ground. Not sure what sort of team we fielded, as these CSC results seem to have been expunged from the records in that season's Robins Review...!).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »

Attendances can be dodgy due to the fact that all teams outside of Belfast have a poor following (with the exception of Portadown who aren't in the Prem this year and Derry who play in the Eircom). However, Linfield rarely fall below 2,000 and when the big two play each other they usually get around 10,000 or more. Don't see many attendances that high down South.

Indeed and the publishing of attendances over here is far from scientific. However, there were three teams in the Eircom premier last season who averaged well above 2000 per game and another three with average attendances over 1900. All bar two of the clubs in the Eircom premier averaged above 1000 per game and two of the teams in the first averaged above 1000. Attendances of over 5000 are not uncommon for certain fixtures and several of the clubs involved in European action have had crowds of over twenty thousand for certain fixtures. To say that Linfield and Glentoran are the biggest clubs on the Island is arguable to say the least.......but we digress.....apologies to other readers for my steering this thread down a tangential cul-de-sac. I'll shut up now.

Bring on the trumpets Wexford 8)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »

Oh good, that means we can afford to f**k off the £2,000 that is given to the winners of it then??

joe

Setanta shield
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »

The team seemed totally unarsed about the 2 grand on offer at last years final

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »

The team seemed totally unarsed about the 2 grand on offer at last years final

Last year relegation was a far bigger issue.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 11:04:34 AM »

Surely going out and winning the final comfortably would have been a far bigger fillip for the team than losing to Nantwich Town on pens though!
Come on Alty!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 04:16:27 PM »

13th January 1981
Cheshire Senior Cup First Round Replay

Cammell Laird...3
Altrincham...0

(I think that you are correct in your assumption that this was played on a Tuesday afternoon owing to the absence of floodlights at CL's ground. Not sure what sort of team we fielded, as these CSC results seem to have been expunged from the records in that season's Robins Review...!).

Well, I have risked life, limb and cobweb to dig deep into the Wexford Alty archives and here reproduced for your pleasure (?) is the report of said game from the Altrincham Guardian (bloody scanner has given up the ghost and my secretary is on sanity leave, so I'll have to type it out):

The robins crashed out of the CSC on Tuesday afternoon when they fielded a reserve side in their 1st round replay, and risked a £200* fine by the Cheshire FA.

But Alty team manager Tony Sanders explained his team selection had not been made in defiance of the Cheshire FA ruling that all teams must field their strongest possible side.

He said: "We fielded our strongest available team and we have explained our situation to the Cheshire FA."

With the match being a 2pm K.O, the Robins claim their first teamers were unable to get the time off work.

"These boys have had a lot of extra time off during our recent FA Cup run, and with job prospects being the way they are it would have been unfair to expect them to take time off for an afternoon CSC game at Cammell Laird", said Sanders.

The problem for Alty arose because Cammell Laird's tidy ground on the Wirral does not have floodlights, which ruled out an evening K.O. Alty offered to stage the replay at Moss Lane, but the Merseysiders refused and their attempt to switch the tie to nearby Tranmere Rovers was thwarted.

On a heavy pitch, reserve team keeper Tony Harrison restricted Lairds to three goals with a fine performance which included a 76th minute penalty save from McGuire.

Peter Davenport struck twice, in the 31st and 80th minutes, either side of a 55th minute goal by McGuire, while Alty were restricted to breakaway attempts by Cavanah and Todd.

The Alty team was:
Harrison, Johnson, Cavanah, Blissett, Todd, Yates, Davies, Stewart, Edwards, Pato, Blake. Sub: Poole

So there you have it.

* I believe the fine that was imposed by the Cheshire FA was rather more severe than predicted at £500.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta Shield