Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The clubs looking strong at the moment.........

Author Topic: The clubs looking strong at the moment.........  (Read 1643 times)

Lew Needham

« on: November 17, 2008, 01:18:56 PM »

Just sat at work thinking what good shape the club is in at the moment compared to those depressing days in the unibond.

Remember home crowds barely reaching 600 and playing crappy football against crappy teams 

Nearly halfway through the season and we are sat comfortably mid table with no debt. The size of our crowds are gradually increasing and we have recently drawn with a league club away from home.

Got to praise the board for sticking with their morals, because as many of the clubs around us seem to be in crisis we seem to be going from strength to strength.

A quick note for Graham who (as we all know) has never been able to buy a player since being manager and has always stuck to the clubs comparatively small wage budget. As long as he keeps this attacking mentality there isn’t a better manager for the job.

I just hope that we don’t get complacent (I’m almost certain we won’t)!!

COME ON ALTY!!!!

markecky

Re: The clubs looking strong at the moment.........
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »

Agreed Lewis.

However I still believe that the catalyst for the upturn in form was the dissent at the Lewes game (which for the record I was'nt part of as was on the PA)

Despite Hughs essays I believe we were in trouble up until that late goal and may have gone down with a whimper.

The players were not doing what they were asked in my opinion.

Then they realised.." hang on..its actually our fault that GH is getting the stick"

We went for it against Mansfield and the rest is history.....

Narcissist

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:48:12 PM »

Now is a good time to thank Mr Goodwin for all his efforts.

We went through a tricky 6 months where he probably felt like walking away at the first opportunity. Criticism ruled over lots of aspects and he came in for a bit of it as well as GH, and other club officials.

For me its not relevant whether that criticism was fair or not. Just to point out to our chairman that now we are reaping the benefits of all of his hard work and superb policies which I believe are a model for how a non-league club should be ran. Without Geoff Goodwin we would probably be stuck in the wilderness Lew mentions above. Just being able to have a quiet confidence of beating a team like Mansfield at home says it all for me really. Beaming with pride as I brag to European Man United fans that my team beat Oxford United is another standout moment for the club in my heart.

Stick with it Geoff please please please, a few months like this is surely worth a few knocks here and there. It certainly is for me!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »

Certainly is the way to run a football club. I have to pinch myself that we're actually competing here at this level and staying in the black too!

It all seems a long way from my gloom on the train back from Holly Park after a 6-0 tanning by  South Liverpool or the black cloud which hung over me for ages after our first ever relegation in 1999
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Lew Needham

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »

Yeah totally agree Ecky about that Lewes game, the players and managements mentality has totally changed since then.

I believe the players realised that they were playing to save Graham, and Graham realsied that after years of trying to stop teams playing, the fans just wanted us to have a go at the opposition (as this squad is good enough to give any team in this league a game).

Whatever the case maybe its all good and its fun supporting the boys again....

Whats the odds on Alty for the FA Trophy this year??? (or am i getting carried away)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team