News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New Signings

Author Topic: New Signings  (Read 3625 times)

fuertes

New Signings
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »

Last year we had most of our business done by the middle of June. Are we just taking stock of our finances this year, or are we going to have to make-do with loan signings this year? What do people think?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: New Signings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »

As things stand, our financial situation probably means the squad will be the players we have now plus youngsters/local lads on the bench.

Unless we can find a serious source of revenue in a very short period of time......
Come on Alty!

baldrick

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »

In my opinion the club uses far too many players. Most successful teams have the same faces every week.

fuertes

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »

In my opinion the club uses far too many players. Most successful teams have the same faces every week.

I have to disagree with that mate. Okay there were lots of faces in the early part of the season when we were trying to get a side together, but the last third of the season we had such a small squad that you could see the players were dead on their feet by the last few minutes of every game.

If GB does go to Wigan, I hope we can take at least one good prospect on loan for the season.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »

But they also invariably have quality backup in the event of injuries and suspensions.

If/when our current squad suffers either of the above we are going to be found out big time. Not a criticism of anyone but it's just a fact.
Come on Alty!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »

As things stand, our financial situation probably means the squad will be the players we have now plus youngsters/local lads on the bench.

Unless we can find a serious source of revenue in a very short period of time......

I reckon your bang on here with this
ParkINson's red and white army

baldrick

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »

If GB does go to Wigan, I hope we can take at least one good prospect on loan for the season.

They won't be too keen after what happened to Russell Saunders

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »

Discipline on the field is going to be a big factor for next season.. We had far to many cautions for silly incidents such as chopsing to the ref etc and players getting booked and ultimately suspended for silly reason

I realise it is difficult in the heat of a game etc but the lads will need to be extra careful next season.. The last thing we need is players missing through stupid suspensions

On the topic of players..  Has anybody heard if Kevin Street will be fit for the start of the next campaign?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »

Let's be realistic, the Setanta thing has had a major impact. I expect to see nothing until pre-season is almost over and so-called trialists realise they don't have a club and nobody has any money anymore (except Vics) to offer them large wages.
I think it was Ecky who said that the TV money loss is something like £80k over a 40 week season = £2000 per week.

Assuming the above figures are a reasonable best guestimate, then this is effectively how much our squad needs to shrink by unless a major source of income is found before August i.e at a generous part time wage of £400 per week it equates to a loss of 5 players from what we had last season !

We must just hope that all clubs are in the same boat......or at least all our main rivals are
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:12:47 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

joe

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:35 PM »

Let's be realistic, the Setanta thing has had a major impact. I expect to see nothing until pre-season is almost over and so-called trialists realise they don't have a club and nobody has any money anymore (except Vics) to offer them large wages.
I think it was Ecky who said that the TV money loss is something like £80k over a 40 week season = £2000 per week.

Assuming the above figures are a reasonable best guestimate, then this is effectively how much our squad needs to shrink by unless a major source of income is found before August i.e at a generous part time wage of £400 per week it equates to a loss of 5 players from what we had last season !

We must just hope that all clubs are in the same boat......or at least all our main rivals are

I reckon this is spot on!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »

I agree with with but I think with the loss of the Setanta money there will be a few more players available come tomorrow (when many current contracts expire) and also those that dont make it on trials during thisw month at other clubs.

JT

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »

The club only held their board meeting today anyway, which is where GH found out if any funds were available to him, so i think the situation may become clearer over the next few weeks?

York Alty

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »

Seriously, don't hold your breath about players coming in.  There's no cash.

We will pick up a few names as we get close to the start of the season but these will be local boys and loans.

hard facts, but we've lived this way ever since Mr. Goodwin joined.

I am more concerned about the loss of Mr. Barrow to be honest.

The Red Baron

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »

We will sign players, they just may not be world beaters. So there's no cash? Well when have we ever had any in previous seasons?
We generally sign players after a couple of pre-season trial games anyway so I shouldn't worry too much.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »

We will sign players, they just may not be world beaters. So there's no cash? Well when have we ever had any in previous seasons?
We generally sign players after a couple of pre-season trial games anyway so I shouldn't worry too much.

I know what you're saying, but the fact is that the money was there in previous seasons even though we weren't splashing ludicrous sums of money on players.

The £10k we're about to receive from the FA should help a bit though.  :)
Come on Alty!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New Signings