Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 todays quiz question sponsored by Stuart Coburn...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: todays quiz question sponsored by Stuart Coburn...  (Read 3599 times)

RocketDan

« on: January 23, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »

players who have played for alty in 3 different decades.

Stuart Coburn 90's, 00's, 10's

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: todays quiz question sponsored by Stuart Coburn...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »

Surely Ian Senior must be a candidate?
Come on Alty!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »

That's a brilliant call Ian. I'm not sure that Ian actually played in the 90's but he was certainly on the bench for the 'siege of Doncaster' in 1999. I believe Ian made two appearances in 1982/3 season (he definitely played in the final game of the season when we beat Wealdstone 1-0).I wonder if there is a longer period in football history between appearances than 16 years & 4 months May 1983 to September 1999...........marvellous....isn't it?

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:44:51 PM »

Good one, this. I can't think any of the players that were with us in 1979 who were still there in 1990, for example.

What about Bomber? I think he joined us late eighties and was with us into the late nineties. Did he sneak a game or two in 2000?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:02 PM »

What about Bomber? I think he joined us late eighties and was with us into the late nineties. Did he sneak a game or two in 2000?

His first spell was in the late eighties as you said. However, I'm pretty sure he was released after we won the Unibond title in 1999.
Come on Alty!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:53:17 PM »

His first spell was in the late eighties as you said. However, I'm pretty sure he was released after we won the Unibond title in 1999.

"This is great stuff"..............Rosie is on fire today!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 10:54:35 PM »

"This is great stuff"..............Rosie is on fire today!

Too much time on my hands Flynny!  ;)
Come on Alty!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »

That's a brilliant call Ian. I'm not sure that Ian actually played in the 90's but he was certainly on the bench for the 'siege of Doncaster' in 1999. I believe Ian made two appearances in 1982/3 season (he definitely played in the final game of the season when we beat Wealdstone 1-0).I wonder if there is a longer period in football history between appearances than 16 years & 4 months May 1983 to September 1999...........marvellous....isn't it?

The other Alty name that occurs to me in this area is Frank Carrodus. Didn't he do something similar?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »

The other Alty name that occurs to me in this area is Frank Carrodus. Didn't he do something similar?

I'm afraid this was well before my time so I'll have to pass on this one.  :)
Come on Alty!

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 12:31:02 AM »

Senior also played in the 83/84 season, making two appearances, but didnt return till 1999. However he then made his second debut on 8th Jan 2000, before playing in the CSC final against macc in 2000. Thus ruling him out of playing in three different decades.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »

Frank Carrodus made his debut for Alty during the 1969/70 season.

He returned to Moss Lane during the 1986/87 season, when John Williams was the Alty manager.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »

Senior also played in the 83/84 season, making two appearances, but didnt return till 1999. However he then made his second debut on 8th Jan 2000, before playing in the CSC final against macc in 2000. Thus ruling him out of playing in three different decades.

Who would bet against Ian Senior making yet another Alty comeback in this decade though.....?!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »

Very Good call!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:42:56 AM »

He returned to Moss Lane during the 1986/87 season, when John Williams was the Alty manager.

This sounds like it must be the record then in terms of time elapsing between appearances.I remember Carrodus playing at Hyde on their artificial pitch in a Cheshire Senior Cup game that season.I have a feeling it was the 2nd Leg of the semi-final & finished 4-4 & we squeezed through on aggregate.I think that he only played about three times for us in his first spell....therefore his total Alty career appearances must be comfortably in single figures

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »

This sounds like it must be the record then in terms of time elapsing between appearances.I remember Carrodus playing at Hyde on their artificial pitch in a Cheshire Senior Cup game that season.I have a feeling it was the 2nd Leg of the semi-final & finished 4-4 & we squeezed through on aggregate.I think that he only played about three times for us in his first spell....therefore his total Alty career appearances must be comfortably in single figures

And if by some happy fluke he played in both 1969 and 1970, he'd also be an answer for the original quiz question.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team