PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We could do with one of these
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We could do with one of these  (Read 6292 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »

It would be great if we could have a small shop in the town centre, selling club and general merchandise along with match tickets for forthcoming fixtures etc. 

http://www.nvfc.co.uk/board/index.php?topic=2486.0

Narcissist

Re: We could do with one of these
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »

Great idea, would have to sell some other football merchandise though.

Im sure cooper sports sold alty shirts once, thought it was the start of something, regeneration my arse!

cjstafford

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »

Nice location,

Witton Street  ;D

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »

It would be great if we could have a small shop in the town centre, selling club and general merchandise along with match tickets for forthcoming fixtures etc. 

http://www.nvfc.co.uk/board/index.php?topic=2486.0

This is a great idea. The biggest stumbling block i think we would have is the venture would need to return a positive return IE  a profit.

And my fear is; the only way that would be possible would be for the landlords to offer some sort of deal on the rent; EG 6 months free a yr etc.

And judging by the amount of empty retail space in Altrincham where the landlords seem to prefer to leave the units empty through lack of interest or refusal to offer such incentives im not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 11:08:48 AM by wayno »
ParkINson's red and white army

baldrick

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:36:18 AM »

The problem is there is not enough demand. Even the club shop has a poor selection of merchandise. You can't get shorts or socks and shirts have to be ordered because they don't sell enough to make it worth stocking them. If you look at the sort of tat available at league clubs there has to be a reason why Altrincham don't stock it. Presumably because it doesn't sell.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »

It's a great idea by Northwich but they'll sell bog all. Unless someone is standing the rent and rates it will lose them money. Maybe a deal with one of the charity shops to stock Alty merchandise would be better, but isn't part of the current building project to have a shop accessible from Moss Lane?

Don''t forget Alty stuff is available through eBay via the link on the club website. That way it goes around the world.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:50:54 PM »

Alty sports shop used to sell that sort of stuff years ago.
Harold

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »

I remember when I was first taken there there was a letter from Altrincham FC under the glass topped counter with the name F.Pye, Manager at the top.

Longman

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

I saw a lad in Alty shorts in the Trafford Centre last night.

I'm not sure whether he was a youth team player or a supporter!?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 09:42:29 PM »

I remember somewhere like JJB selling the maunders home shirts a while back, I agree that club merchandise should be a bit easier to obtain via the club first

markecky

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:46 PM »

It's a great idea by Northwich but they'll sell bog all. Unless someone is standing the rent and rates it will lose them money. Maybe a deal with one of the charity shops to stock Alty merchandise would be better, but isn't part of the current building project to have a shop accessible from Moss Lane?

Don''t forget Alty stuff is available through eBay via the link on the club website. That way it goes around the world.

Agree 100%.  The shop will be shut within 6 months. Guaranteed.  They get 500 at home...why would someone want a Vics scarf on a Weds afternoon?  They'll get one at the match on Saturday.

The idea of a presence in the town is great but not feasible at this level unless you have 3000 home fans..

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 10:35:33 PM »

Why would they want a Vics scarf at all ? the Witton ones are nicer  ;D

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »

To sustain rent and wages would require a decent turnover........something that will not happen at either a Vics town centre shop nor a Alty shop.

I doubt most championship clubs even have shops in their towns.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Narcissist

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »

What would be good is a sports shop or memorabilia shop that also stocks alty merchandise and bares the club badge outside.

The problem for us is more a case of the fact that any shop at all will struggle to survive in Altrincham town centre, we'd be better off opening up in the tw@tty trafford centre!

We should be giving alty kits away to a couple of kids in each school who win some sort of skill school or something. Maybe then their mates will tag on and buy a kit. It will raise the club profile either way.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 11:25:37 AM »

Three ideas:

1) As mooted previously, a little section in one of the bigger shops in Altrincham (Tesco, JJB) would at the very least raise awareness of the club. It could also be good for a company like Tesco to show some local awareness and support.

2) Improve either the Ebay shop and/or the Alty shop part of the website (or merge them) to have pics of all items and the full range of sizes.

3) Ads in local paper(s) advertising the shop as well as the club - notably with a link to the website/ebay shop.

I keep telling Jennifer's Mum I will take her to a very exclusive shop with a very exclusive range of clothing!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team