PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Squad next year
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Squad next year  (Read 9320 times)

Alty365

Squad next year
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »

Irrespective of which league we are playing in next season I am hugely concerned by the state of of squad. In fairness GH has touched upon this subject when referring to the number of loanees we have in this year's team and once they are gone we are going to be very thin on the ground.

Taking into account that Darren Tinson is meant to be retiring in the summer the squad would look something like this:

GK Coburn
GK Acton
FB Scott
FB Lane
FB/M Peyton
CB Young
D/M Battersby
D/M Aspinall
M Roca
M Sedgemore
M Lawton
M Owen
F Little
F Senior
F O'Neill
F McFadden

If you now consider the age of some of our players, people like Val Owen and Colin Little, although they look after themselves supremely well, are not getting any younger. Scotty and Aspinall have been here a long time - great servants that they have been, do they still have a future at the club? Don't get me wrong, they have both served the club fantastically well but there comes a time when players aren't quite up to it anymore, especially if we stay in the BSP. It's time to look to the future and I hope we are able to bring in players who can enable us to be competitive and freshen up the side at the same time. I know you can't just click your fingers and expect this to happen but it worries me that we could end up this summer right back where we started a few years ago with a weak squad in a league which is fiercely competitive.

Jenga

Re: Squad next year
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:54:42 PM »

When did we sign Michael Owen?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »

I'm 99.999999999999% sure Sedgemore won't be at the club.

Worrying thing is next season will see a lot of new players having to be sourced no matter what league we are in.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »

The youth team has been doing well. Surely a few of them can be promoted to the first team.

VofD

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 05:50:44 PM »

Irrespective of which league we are playing in next season I am hugely concerned by the state of of squad. In fairness GH has touched upon this subject when referring to the number of loanees we have in this year's team and once they are gone we are going to be very thin on the ground. Taking into account that Darren Tinson is meant to be retiring in the summer the squad would look something like this:GK CoburnGK ActonFB ScottFB LaneFB/M PeytonCB YoungD/M BattersbyD/M AspinallM RocaM SedgemoreM LawtonM OwenF LittleF SeniorF O'NeillF McFaddenIf you now consider the age of some of our players, people like Val Owen and Colin Little, although they look after themselves supremely well, are not getting any younger. Scotty and Aspinall have been here a long time - great servants that they have been, do they still have a future at the club? Don't get me wrong, they have both served the club fantastically well but there comes a time when players aren't quite up to it anymore, especially if we stay in the BSP. It's time to look to the future and I hope we are able to bring in players who can enable us to be competitive and freshen up the side at the same time. I know you can't just click your fingers and expect this to happen but it worries me that we could end up this summer right back where we started a few years ago with a weak squad in a league which is fiercely competitive.
As a general point, and not having a go at anyone in particular, should the same (as highlighted above) not also apply to managers?

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »

f**k off VofD we get your point but it is now becoming tiresome

Alty365

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:55:20 PM »

The youth team has been doing well. Surely a few of them can be promoted to the first team.

I think the gulf between the youth and first teams needs to be bridged by having a reserve team, but I appreciate there were genuine reasons for not having a regular reserve side this season. In order to reap the full benefits of our fantastic youth setup this problem needs to be solved somehow. Easier said than done though!

joe

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »

Bit harsh on VofD i think. Everyone is entitled to an opinion without getting told to f**k off and i agree with his opinion on this one.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »

Bit harsh on VofD i think. Everyone is entitled to an opinion without getting told to f**k off and i agree with his opinion on this one.

f**k Off !!!

louise1925

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »

I suspect that Greg Young will be far, far too good for BSN too.

Alty366

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »

Irrespective of which league we are playing in next season I am hugely concerned by the state of of squad. In fairness GH has touched upon this subject when referring to the number of loanees we have in this year's team and once they are gone we are going to be very thin on the ground.

Taking into account that Darren Tinson is meant to be retiring in the summer the squad would look something like this:

GK Coburn
GK Acton
FB Scott
FB Lane
FB/M Peyton
CB Young
D/M Battersby
D/M Aspinall
M Roca
M Sedgemore
M Lawton
M Owen
F Little
F Senior
F O'Neill
F McFadden

If you now consider the age of some of our players, people like Val Owen and Colin Little, although they look after themselves supremely well, are not getting any younger. Scotty and Aspinall have been here a long time - great servants that they have been, do they still have a future at the club? Don't get me wrong, they have both served the club fantastically well but there comes a time when players aren't quite up to it anymore, especially if we stay in the BSP. It's time to look to the future and I hope we are able to bring in players who can enable us to be competitive and freshen up the side at the same time. I know you can't just click your fingers and expect this to happen but it worries me that we could end up this summer right back where we started a few years ago with a weak squad in a league which is fiercely competitive.

what a ridiculous post this is, alot like all your others! fool

le bignose

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »

GK Coburn
GK Acton
FB Scott
FB Lane
FB/M Peyton
CB Young
D/M Battersby
D/M Aspinall
M Roca
M Sedgemore
M Lawton
M Owen
F Little
F Senior
F O'Neill
F McFadden

what a ridiculous post this is, alot like all your others! fool

WHY??? youve lost me there ................ he has a point and any true alty fan must be looking ahead to the future, wherever we end up, thinking whats going to happen with players coming and going and sorting the squad out. GH in fairness has to rebiuld EVERY season and thats no easy task!!

Ive thought it all season the fact we rely so heavy on loanee's it doesnt bode well for any consistancy in the team to biuld on. It doesnt allow a team to gel and develop. We have always had to deal with these factors and hence why we cant move away from a conference relegation team. We need more stability in the team. Rome wasnt built over night !! ............

Butty

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »

Rome wasnt built over night !! ............

That's because, according to legend, it was built in one day. No night shifts involved ;D

le bignose

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »

lol GH needs to take a leaf out the romans book then!!

You gotta hand it to him, he spots a player though. Even if we then dont get the full potential out of him or he is used in the wrong position. GH can find a decent player.

Players surplus to requirement for me now are (and this is a non harsh list!! Full credit to each player for their contribution)
Aspinall
Sedge
McFadden
Tinno ( i know he is retiring but past his best now for us - controversial i know, but even the mighty Sir Alex's binned off the best centre half at that time and managed  ;D ........... for those puzzled ..... Stam!!)
And possibly Scotty although im not a 100% sure on that one.

Then take into consideration the loanee's lost we really have a depleted squad. GH's got his work cut out again!! And yes VofD, GH will still be their rebuilding much to your disappointment !! Give us a rest on that subject to mate !!  ;)

Butty

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:57:04 PM »

Love him or hate him, he is here to stay. GH will not leave alty and even if he does want to, the Board will not let him. Again, love it or hate it, we have to respect and as SUPPORTers, we have to support that decision and GH as a manager. He could do with an assistant with more of a squad picking role, as GH can pick out his players very well, especially with the resources, but often fails to get anything/the best out of that player. If someone else can pick the team based on the players that GH has brought in, we have a winner.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Squad next year