Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Histon - what are they doing that we are not?

Author Topic: Histon - what are they doing that we are not?  (Read 2719 times)

Alty365

« on: January 28, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »

Just watching their game away at Torquay on Setanta and they have matched Torquay all the way. Their league position seems nothing short of a miracle for their first season at this level and all this as a part time outift. So what are they doing that we are not? Everything is done at Alty to make it a well run "professional" club, yet another club with apparently similar resources is flying high near the top of the league while we are battling to avoid relegation. How do they do it?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:21:45 PM by Alty365 »

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Histon - what are they doing that we are not?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »

If Histon claim they are part time then its sh1te.  Cambridge Utd can't afford the wages paid there, verefied by CUFC fans on four seperate trips there now. Johnny come lately no fans clubs like them are destroying football. The ground too is Unibond at best.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »

I asked Derek that question the other week!

There moral is high and they have some big players, other than that I cannot say. perhaps they are having lady luck so far?

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »

If Histon claim they are part time then its sh1te.  Cambridge Utd can't afford the wages paid there, verefied by CUFC fans on four seperate trips there now. Johnny come lately no fans clubs like them are destroying football. The ground too is Unibond at best.

Did the CUFC fans concerned have access to Histon's books in order to make this assertion?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »

they are big and stong and athletic and that will get you somewhere. then they are winning and it becomes a bit of a habit
however sw is right, their chairman puts a load of money in and they are living way beyond their means, buying the best players locally
another one of those teams that in 5 years you will be saying 'remember histon?'

Foz

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »

It is difficult to know without having seen many games they have played. Seems to me that they may be doing what Leigh RMI did for one season a few years back. The following season Leigh dropped straight back down the league and were involved in a relegation battle. I think that Histon may be where they are partly due to being something slightly different from most other teams at this level, and if this is the case, they may be worked out by opposition teams, and sink down the league as more teams play them twice, or next season when they have got even more used to how they play.

Another explanation may be that it is far easier to be successful if you don't try to play football, and just hoof the ball up the pitch at every opportunity. I thought that it was interesting to hear the torquay players saying that was how histon played!

altyf

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:23:49 PM »

I think it'll be interesting to see if they suffer a bit of second season syndrome next year or if they can continue or even improve on their remarkable first season. But its clear that thet work hard on the training pitch and have built a strong squad with no real outstanding player but a really good team chemistry. I'm sure a lot of their performances are down to confidence and morale aswell.

Jacko

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 12:51:37 AM »

At the end of the day histon have a solid team, no one in this division plays football by the book,i reckon they'll be around longer than you think

baldrick

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »

They have the potential to attract high attendances if they keep winning. There are no big clubs anywhere near them.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »

It is difficult to know without having seen many games they have played. Seems to me that they may be doing what Leigh RMI did for one season a few years back. The following season Leigh dropped straight back down the league and were involved in a relegation battle. I think that Histon may be where they are partly due to being something slightly different from most other teams at this level, and if this is the case, they may be worked out by opposition teams, and sink down the league as more teams play them twice, or next season when they have got even more used to how they play.

Another explanation may be that it is far easier to be successful if you don't try to play football, and just hoof the ball up the pitch at every opportunity. I thought that it was interesting to hear the torquay players saying that was how histon played!

Well, that's never worked for us!

Mind you, we tend to do it to two strikers who are both on the small side....!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

louise1925

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 12:04:59 PM »

I doubt very much whether they have any sustainable potential. My understanding is that they are a village team, smaller even than FGR. Besides, I imagine local support is for Cambridge.

Butty

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »

Sounds like it, looking at the team, the total team is more than the sum of the players, i.e they aren't the best individuals, but a good team.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team