PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barry Howard
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Barry Howard  (Read 7988 times)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Barry Howard
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 08:16:19 PM »

A TRUE alty legend (a word bandied about with undue care and atention these days). I would also rate him ahead of Showler. That night at home to Sheffield United where we completely destroyed them has to be a favourite football moment of all time.

helped if i remember by their manager ian porterfield acting with dignty
his post match comments ran along the lines of 'altrincham were the better team, we were knocked out by a team with real heart'
compared to the usual bleatings of 'but they kicked us' etc it made a nice change

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »

True comments Jim, Porterfield was a legend himself, that goal against Leeds made my final year at Primary school, sat between two plastic Leeds fans, top bloke, Rest in Peace Fella.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »

we did kick sheff utd out as well as batter them at football
They had a player (ryan?) who was a local lad and he bubbled the goings on in the sheff dressing room they said that when kingy went off at bramhall lane they all breathed a sigh of relief only to deflate and fall apart when he came back with his head bandaged and blood pissing down his face. it frightened me and i was surrounded by sheff fans trying to kick my head in at the time. Bob hatton and another i cant remember got mystery illnesses for the replay and the rest of the team just didnt fancy it. the brawl in our penalty area was one of the best i had seen apparently stan allan had somebody by two fingers up his nostril whilst an other player (nameless) pummeled him. great weekend in sheffield which included a rick wakeman concert

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »

yeah but we kicked everyone, it was just nice porterfield could see we could play too
its no wonder everyone hated us

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »

Top recollections Gazelle and Jim. Bet Foxy got a smack though! ;D
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »

Top recollections Gazelle and Jim. Bet Foxy got a smack though! ;D

how did you guess?
he was first again

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »

Ahh yes memories. I remember coming out of the away end at Bramhall Lane and finding the coaches were not where they left us off (I had obviously missed any instructions given when alighting). I turned the corner of the stand to find a wall of thousands of not too happy Blades coming towards me. Thankfully having them also playing in red&white stripes may have saved my squeaky bacon. A group of likely looking lads made a beeline for me, but were thankfully only interested in hearing the Wednesday result from my little tranny (he/she never really got out that much and was made up with the attention). Disaster averted (apart from the minor inconvenience of undergarment augmentation). Happy days.

Have to say that a VERY hard earned draw that day did not prepare us for the joyous demolition that was to follow in the replay.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »

I have not so fond memories of that long walk back to the coaches from Bramhall Lane - as a 5" not-much teenager pinned against a wall by some ape-like Utd fans. I was offered the choice of handing over my scarf or "getting your f***ing head kicked in". I went home minus the scarf.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »

I have not so fond memories of that long walk back to the coaches from Bramhall Lane - as a 5" not-much teenager pinned against a wall by some ape-like Utd fans. I was offered the choice of handing over my scarf or "getting your f***ing head kicked in". I went home minus the scarf.

5 inches!! ! ! ! ! ! !

thegazelle

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »

deeply insulted jezza inventive players songs we had one for each of those players ie the wembley squad

kingy's gonna get yer
heathcote heathcote heathcote or top right top right
and there's only one barry howard and theres only one stan allan and there's only one mally bailey etc

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barry Howard