PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barry Howard
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Barry Howard  (Read 7986 times)

jane peet (howardy)

Barry Howard
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »

I have just been on The New Saints web as I am trying to find Alan King who used to play with my brother at Runcorn and I found this Alty link. It was nice to read how highly you thought of my brother. I seem to remember you Alty Dave, you did a lot for the club, I have told Barry about the site he is out watching football at the mo. Look forward to hearing from anyone who remembers my brother and myself, i went to most games and spent many happy years supporting Altrincham. And as for another question, no my brother has never managed.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Barry Howard
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »

Barry Howard: now there is a true Alty legend!

Just where do you start with the recollections...?

Rotherham (away); Sheffield United (home); that goal against Rochdale at Moss Lane in 1982.....and that's before I've even mentioned his legendary perm circa 1978!

Thanks for several years of great memories.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

tiggeralty

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »

My husband,  a life-long Alty fan,  remembers Barry Howard very well,  one of our better players he says.  He said that Alty always won in those days.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »

truly an alty legend and a real hero in my youth. one of those that could easily have played league football
its really nice to see old players who retain affection for the club
tell him i still reminisce about the afternoon at rotherham and the evening at home to sheff utd
all the best.

jane peet (howardy)

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »

Many Thanks for all your kind wishes I shall pass those kind regards to my brother anf father Gilbert (if you remember him). He is 80 now but still as strong as an ox.

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:15:49 PM »

Barry was my hero when I was younger and i started to watch alty - mmm shame about his hair do though !!!

jane peet (howardy)

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »

Funny you should mention his hair, I have a photo of him with Ossie Ardiles and Ricardo Villa when they played Spurs in the FA Cup, and when i show it to people they say "Yes I can name all them" and the one in the middle is Keegan, he looks more like Capello these days, right down to the glasses.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:13:14 PM »

Barry was a great player - bit of an unorthodox running style but it confused the hell out of defenders. Very skillful and a regular goalscorer too. Received the Liverpool dvd the other day and he had a great second half. Yes his hair was a bit wild but it was of the era and not quite as mad as Jeff Johnson's who looks like Charlie Chaplin on the Liverpool dvd!

Paul

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »

Just like some others have posted, Barry Howard was my hero as a spotty 14 year-old stood on the Golf Road (I was the spotty one, not Barry!) Many, many fond memories of skillful dribbles, great goals and pin-point crosses onto John Rodgers head. His goal Vs Rotherham was my fave.
I'm going to stick my neck out here but I would rate Barry ahead of Showler (just).

jane peet (howardy)

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »

Thank you all for your great comments, it's my first time I have ever been on a forum and it's great to reminesce with all who knew my brother. Wouldn't it be great to get the Alty Legends together. Barry is loving reading how highly you all respected him. I am sure he will reply but his favourite programme is on the tele at the mo... "Dancing On Ice"see not the tough winger you thought you knew.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »

Barry Howard,Alty Legend.
100% player,never gave up.
Glad he is well, and still loving his football.
Hope he comes and sees us again at Moss Lane,he would me made very welcome.

bigedd

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »

I Used to work, with Barry Evans,  M/C POST OFFICE he was related to BARRY HOWARD ( A TRUE LEGEND).
Greatest memory ROTHERHAM F A CUP, we allways won in them days.
Its due to return, ?????

thegazelle

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »

as i said recently my fav was sheff utd barry howard ran stuart houston ragged that night. great player great memories

Jezza

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »

Shame we didn't really have the inventive player songs we have now coz I'm sure Barry Howards would have been brilliant....think we only had Kingy's gonna getchya coz we were too busy singiong "4th division rubbish" and "we've done it all before" etc.

Of course there was the higfhly original "Heatc-o-t-e, Heathc-o-t-e every time we got a free kick"

Superb memories of the Leo sayer lookeylikey (sorry Barry)

Nice moment when the ball bobbled in off Jeff Johnon's shin against orient and Jeff was frantically trying to get the ball back to the centre spot to give us time to equalise looking fairly sheepish at his rather fortuitous goal but Barry just had to hold him up and celebrate with a brief manly hug which was nicely acknowledged by Jeff ruffling the perm.

I'd give him the nod over Paul Showler because he played for us for loonger and was part of a more succesful team.

What  a player fondly remembered by all...often lifted the side with a brilliant run down the wing and cross to JR to nod into the onion bag.

I'm actually constantly amazed we didn't go that first APL season unbeaten home and away they were that good.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

A TRUE alty legend (a word bandied about with undue care and atention these days). I would also rate him ahead of Showler. That night at home to Sheffield United where we completely destroyed them has to be a favourite football moment of all time.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barry Howard