News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nostalgia from an ancient supporter.

Author Topic: Nostalgia from an ancient supporter.  (Read 3466 times)

brightonrobin

« on: January 26, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »

I've supported Alty since 1958,Just an annoymous supporter who noone will recognise but I started watching in the days whn (Johnny?) Morris was manager and we had only 1 proffesional (Ged Johnson goalkeeper?).My first game was v Macclesfield (who else) we lost 3-0 and I was beaten up by Macc fans  and resued by an Alty fan.My glasses were smashed and my mum made the Macc fan pay for them.(Happy days).I was only 12!

My step father knew Len Pollitt (then a director) and got me hooked on the drug affectionally known as Alty mania.I watched them in the dark days of the early 60's when we nearly went bust (again) and the glory days of Freddy Pye,Tom Banks,Charlie Mitten and Paddy Fagan.I remember Jackie Swindells debut and the next season when he scored 84 goals, a fantastoc  acheivment at that level. Seven against Chester reserves at the old Sealand Road ground,when Freddy Pye threw him his best coat at half time.
Jackie(again)coming off the bench against Wigan in the FA cup to score twice from the spot despite being ill.(was he dosed with whisky or was that an urban myth?)

I would be here all night recounting the memories this great club has invoked for me. But perhaps the one truly memorable moment was when I wrote a letter to GH.He didn't know me from Adam yet I attended an FA cup match and somehow he knew who I was and came and had a natter to me. Not much you might say but  to me showed what this great club is about.

And yes I do go to matches still despite being disabled.Went  to Cambridge today and felt so very proud despite being beaten.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia from an ancient supporter.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:16:32 PM »

I started watching Alty 5 years later in 1963 when Johnny Mitten was our striker. I remember the season our pitch looked like Southport beach. Goals were leaking in so next season Freddie Pye signed a great goalkeeper, Mick Smyth who went on to play for the Republic of Ireland. That was before the roof was put on the Golf Road End.

The Jackie Swindells era were the first glory years. Crowds were fantastic. I remember teems of Supporters walking down Clover Road in Timperley in Red and White scalves on their way to Moss Lane via the Golf course footpath. Jack's goalscoring record disguises the fact we had a great team not just Jack - Pat Connolly, Neil Dewar, Les Campbell, Derek Halliwell, Neal Peters. The hype in the town when we beat Rochdale 3-1 away in the FA Cup was fantastic.

The team that played Everton was loveable - full of characters such as Gerry Casey, Peter Eales, Joey Pritchard ect. John Hughes was a great goalscorer and GH could put a ball on a sixpence.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »

I started watching Alty 5 years later in 1963 when Johnny Mitten was our striker. I remember the season our pitch looked like Southport beach. Goals were leaking in so next season Freddie Pye signed a great goalkeeper, Mick Smyth who went on to play for the Republic of Ireland. That was before the roof was put on the Golf Road End.

The Jackie Swindells era were the first glory years. Crowds were fantastic. I remember teems of Supporters walking down Clover Road in Timperley in Red and White scalves on their way to Moss Lane via the Golf course footpath. Jack's goalscoring record disguises the fact we had a great team not just Jack - Pat Connolly, Neil Dewar, Les Campbell, Derek Halliwell, Neal Peters. The hype in the town when we beat Rochdale 3-1 away in the FA Cup was fantastic.

The team that played Everton was loveable - full of characters such as Gerry Casey, Peter Eales, Joey Pritchard ect. John Hughes was a great goalscorer and GH could put a ball on a sixpence.

Frankie Peters ...

And don't forget Jimmy Brown at Right Back!

Happy Days!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:43:56 PM »

Who was our thin under weight winger in the Jackie Swindells days was it Frank Carridous (spelling not right).I remember agame at Moss lane agains Wigan we beat them 3 or 4-1 and at the final whistle i patted the Wigan keeper on the back and told him hard luck,he just smiled.
Harold

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »

Who was our thin under weight winger in the Jackie Swindells days was it Frank Carridous (spelling not right).I remember agame at Moss lane agains Wigan we beat them 3 or 4-1 and at the final whistle i patted the Wigan keeper on the back and told him hard luck,he just smiled.

Wingers in the 65-6 championship side were Clive Colbridge, a bit on the skinny side, and Ronnie Taylor - definitely not.

Jackie might have been still playing (I think) when Frank Carrodus turned out for us for a few games before going to Man City with Malcolm Allison.

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

I remember Ronny Taylor the skiiny one playe for us against Wolves from what i remember
Harold

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »

I remember Ronny Taylor the skiiny one playe for us against Wolves from what i remember

Clive, Ronnie and Jackie (of course) al played at Wolves.

But it's funny how my mind must be playing tricks. I remembered Colbridge as the skinny one and Taylor as more of a slim Pottsy/Barry Howard type build - but wioth a "DA" haircut!  ::)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »

Ronnie Taylor was not skinny.I remember him in a cheshire senior cup final at Macc,he had a free kick out on the touch line about 30 yard out and we were right by him when he took the kick,we said to him have a shot just under the bar the keeper will not be expecting it,he did this and scored.I was only a school boy and was with my father whos now 84 and still watches Alty now and again also my uncle and grandfather
Harold

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:29:29 PM »

Ronnie Taylor was not skinny.I remember him in a cheshire senior cup final at Macc,he had a free kick out on the touch line about 30 yard out and we were right by him when he took the kick,we said to him have a shot just under the bar the keeper will not be expecting it,he did this and scored.I was only a school boy and was with my father whos now 84 and still watches Alty now and again also my uncle and grandfather

Harold, YOU said he was skinny,I said I thought the skinny one was Colbridge
(you can still be on the big side and be a slimmer version of Pottsy you know!)

Have a Goodwin in all the confusion  ::)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »

Sorry,it should have read.I remember Ronnie Taylor,the skinny one played for us against wolves.Its the way i write them.
Harold
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team