PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gravesend 1980 - were you there?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gravesend 1980 - were you there?  (Read 7040 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Gravesend 1980 - were you there?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »

I got John Connaughtons green keepers shirt

You b$stard SW...I wanted that.....at the Yeovil match after the Worcester game (the one where kingy backheeled our winner in the 90th minute in the pouring rain) I walked all the way round the ground and asked him if I could have his shirt at the end coz some git nudged me out of the way at Gravesend last year.....he seemed to nod agreememt but at the end of the game I was outmuscled again.

I used to stand behind Charlie's goal every single match and modelled my entire goalkeeping strategy around his style of play....he was my absolute hero and I was gutted when after the Enfield Trophy final I overheard him at the homecoming explaining his business reasons for quitting.

So come on...which bugger grabbed charlie's shirt at the yeovil match elbowing me in the face in the process????

This also begs the question...when did alex stepney stop and Charlie take over? I thought stepney was in goals all that season but now I'm thinkng charlie connaughton came in towards the end?

Alex Stepney made his debut in a 3-1 win over Nuneaton Borough in September 79 & his final appearance was the 5-1 defeat in the F.A. Trophy at home to Mossley in February 2000.I think that John Connaughton may have made his debut two days after this when we hit Barnet for seven in the Alliance Premier League Cup.Graham Barrow got a hat trick,if I remember correctly,& Kevin Blackwell was the unfortunate Barnet keeper!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »

Alex Stepney made his debut in a 3-1 win over Nuneaton Borough in September 79 & his final appearance was the 5-1 defeat in the F.A. Trophy at home to Mossley in February 2000.I think that John Connaughton may have made his debut two days after this when we hit Barnet for seven in the Alliance Premier League Cup.Graham Barrow got a hat trick,if I remember correctly,& Kevin Blackwell was the unfortunate Barnet keeper!

:o flipping heck, no wonder we lost, we were probably lucky to only ship 5. Was Coburn/Greygoose/Key injured? Could we not have got a younger keeper like Ian Senior in or something?

*With apologies for interrupting a thread I'm not allowed on* Am I right in thinking that ex Leeds manager Kevin Blackwell was also in goals for Kettering on that epic January afternoon when Ken McKenna scored the last minute winner at the Golf Road end?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 01:42:09 PM »

Alex Stepney's actual FINAL appearnace for Alty in a competitive match was the 0-2 home defeat to Northwich at the tail end of the 81-82 season (I think) - certainly in the tail end of a season where we had three or four games a week (so the trophy final season is a contender).   It was a Thursday night, no-one was there (or so it felt) and Stepney was so old he couldn't bend his knees.  He looked so frail that I was worried that if he dived he'd shatter into thousands of pieces when he hit the ground.  So he didn't dive - not once.  Vics had two shots on target.  Stepney did not wear his trademark white kid gloves.

Also, I was in a pub in St Albans once (and only ever once) and  enquired of the barman if he had a copy of the Evening Standard so I could see the FA Cup 1st round draw - and so I discovered we were away to Sheffield United.  The barman was Kevin Blackwell and we had a great chat about all things non league.  He was a really nice bloke and very well informed about non League - an enjoyable evening

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »

:o flipping heck, no wonder we lost, we were probably lucky to only ship 5. Was Coburn/Greygoose/Key injured? Could we not have got a younger keeper like Ian Senior in or something?

*With apologies for interrupting a thread I'm not allowed on* Am I right in thinking that ex Leeds manager Kevin Blackwell was also in goals for Kettering on that epic January afternoon when Ken McKenna scored the last minute winner at the Golf Road end?

Ballers,

You are indeed correct.
Kevin Blackwell was the Kettering Town goalkeeper beaten by Ken McKenna's epic last minute winner.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »

Alex Stepney's actual FINAL appearnace for Alty in a competitive match was the 0-2 home defeat to Northwich at the tail end of the 81-82 season (I think) - certainly in the tail end of a season where we had three or four games a week (so the trophy final season is a contender).   It was a Thursday night, no-one was there (or so it felt) and Stepney was so old he couldn't bend his knees.  He looked so frail that I was worried that if he dived he'd shatter into thousands of pieces when he hit the ground.  So he didn't dive - not once.  Vics had two shots on target.  Stepney did not wear his trademark white kid gloves.

Mr Guru,

It was indeed the 1981/82 season when Stepney made a 'special guest appearance' against Vics.

Our respective FA Cup and FA Trophy runs engendered a quite horrendous fixture backlog.

From my records, how about this for a busy eight days?

April

24th (Saturday) Runcorn (Cheshire Senior Cup Final at Crewe)
26th Frickley Athletic (H)
28th Barrow (A)
29th Northwich Vics (H)
30th Worcester City (A)

May
1st Trowbridge Town (A)

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »

I was there. The rumour mill was churning out all sorts about Stepney only being included to have a go at F***shaw (if only).
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

bigedd

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »

I Was there, got all the Players autographs, in the programme, its my treasured Programme.
Also took photo in Tunnel, of  Kingy holding  Alliance Premier Shield , the Picture came out too dark.
What a day
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:01:00 PM by bigedd »

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »

Kevin Blackwell was one of those truly great non leagure players and characters. Even though as I recall he was at Boston for a time!
He was always good for some banter during the game. Good keeper.
Now here's an old one though, anyone got any good Johnny Cooke stories (Macc keeper late 60s!) He and our great George Smith were also great characters.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 09:11:39 AM »

Kevin Blackwell was one of those truly great non leagure players and characters. Even though as I recall he was at Boston for a time! He was always good for some banter during the game. Good keeper. Now here's an old one though, anyone got any good Johnny Cooke stories (Macc keeper late 60s!) He and our great George Smith were also great characters.
What a big bugger he was! He always seemed to dominate the game at corners with his sheer size and presence. I remember one match when Halliwell went up at a corner and headed him instead of the ball! He just checked his nose for blood and wagged a finger at Derek in an 'I'll see you later' kind of way. I couldn't hate Macc any more than I do but you had to respect him! Putting 6 past him in the Champs v Runners-up game in 69 (6-1 at Macc) was a great achievement!  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »

Ballers,

You are indeed correct.
Kevin Blackwell was the Kettering Town goalkeeper beaten by Ken McKenna's epic last minute winner.

I am indeed showing some initial signs of senility!!! :o

Steve the Steward

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 09:32:37 PM »

I was there. Went on the supporters coach which arrived about 15 mins after kick off. Don't remember much about the game, except the  pitch invasion at the end and all of us going balliatic in front of the main stand trying to catch one of the players shirts.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

I was there. Went on the supporters coach which arrived about 15 mins after kick off. Don't remember much about the game, except the  pitch invasion at the end and all of us going balliatic in front of the main stand trying to catch one of the players shirts.

Balletic? Now there's an image.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »

Balletic? Now there's an image.

Ballers,

I can confirm that George Heslop always wore a tutu at all Alty away games back in those days....

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »

I'm the lucky b***er that got Graham barrow's shirt, still have it. GB signed it last season when he returned!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 07:42:08 AM »

I was also at Gravesend and went on that coach that arrived late and got back to Alty very late
I was stood at the match with a 6 year old Matt Holland (Irish International) and his Dad.
The celebrations were magnificent
The thing about that game was theat we had a job to do in order to win the title - and did it ourselves.
Johnny King - greatest leader of all time
The ground was an antique wreck - and its the same today and probably the worse in this league

Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gravesend 1980 - were you there?