PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Weird feeling
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird feeling  (Read 4832 times)

Barry Howard was my Hero

Weird feeling
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »

Well done on 4th place, a great achievement considering the first half of the season.

Whilst I wish  alty all the best in the play offs its going to be strange next year if you don't make it and end up playing county.

I reckon I must have watched over 300 Alty games since I was 4 years old ( my dad was a big Alty fan) and it was where my love for football was born.

I Started off watching the the likes of AP Lemington at moss lane when the Chequers end was just a grass bank.

I was about 6 when i watched Sheffield Utd get a football lesson on a cold Monday evening,  I watched a 3rd or maybe 4th round tie against orient that was a big let down.

I was there when Jeff Forshaw decided to do some dental work on Alex Stepney.

Barry Howard was my Hero (in fact he was god), Rodgers,King,Davidson,Allan,Whitbread etc  made up probably the best non league team ever assembled.

Wembley against Enfield was disappointing (although the Train was great )

In later years I remember John Timmons and Gary Stewart,  I remember The latter getting sent off when the opposition player feigned a Head butt only to see GS try exactly the same trick (same result) a few weeks later.

Birmingham city away ( after several postponements)

That match against Barnet was something special (Gary Anderson being converted to central midfield,  why oh why did it take his career that long to find out his true position ).

The collapse at Stafford and on the following Tuesday away having lead at half time ( a cruel lesson for any young fan).

The playoff win at Stoke (Never in doubt)

Anyway I've rambled on  enough and reminded myself of some great memories.

I am for my sins a County fan ( having been converted during my rebellious teens), I am now bringing my son up in the ways of the county (he's 3 ) and maybe I will  be taking him and to Moss lane next season to show him where his grandad started this love for the game some 36 years ago.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Weird feeling
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »

Interesting post , are you originally from stockport or alty btw ?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:06:41 PM by Timperley The Best »

Barry Howard was my Hero

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »

Stockport but my old man was from Timperley

Beaver

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »

Well done on 4th place, a great achievement considering the first half of the season.

Whilst I wish  alty all the best in the play offs its going to be strange next year if you don't make it and end up playing county.

I reckon I must have watched over 300 Alty games since I was 4 years old ( my dad was a big Alty fan) and it was where my love for football was born.

I Started off watching the the likes of AP Lemington at moss lane when the Chequers end was just a grass bank.

I was about 6 when i watched Sheffield Utd get a football lesson on a cold Monday evening,  I watched a 3rd or maybe 4th round tie against orient that was a big let down.

I was there when Jeff Forshaw decided to do some dental work on Alex Stepney.

Barry Howard was my Hero (in fact he was god), Rodgers,King,Davidson,Allan,Whitbread etc  made up probably the best non league team ever assembled.

Wembley against Enfield was disappointing (although the Train was great )

In later years I remember John Timmons and Gary Stewart,  I remember The latter getting sent off when the opposition player feigned a Head butt only to see GS try exactly the same trick (same result) a few weeks later.

Birmingham city away ( after several postponements)

That match against Barnet was something special (Gary Anderson being converted to central midfield,  why oh why did it take his career that long to find out his true position ).

The collapse at Stafford and on the following Tuesday away having lead at half time ( a cruel lesson for any young fan).

The playoff win at Stoke (Never in doubt)

Anyway I've rambled on  enough and reminded myself of some great memories.

I am for my sins a County fan ( having been converted during my rebellious teens), I am now bringing my son up in the ways of the county (he's 3 ) and maybe I will  be taking him and to Moss lane next season to show him where his grandad started this love for the game some 36 years ago.

I find it very bizarre that you aren't an Alty fan over county after all that, but I guess we've never been on the same planet as county.

Whilst its great we will get to play some big teams next year, be it county or Grimsby, it's a huge shame to see county fall to this level. Football the 'business' has a lot to answer for.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:34 PM »

always the agm cup in june

Barry Howard was my Hero

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »

I still look out for Alty and go and watch them occasionally , Alty are great club but when the County big gets you it's something else!

Every club reckons their fans are the best in the world but I have yet to meet anything that beats County, it's hard to understand unless you are one of them .

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »

Stockport but my old man was from Timperley

I also grew up in Timperley and now live 220 miles away but I am brainwashing my kids into being Alty fans.
I do fear that they might end up prefering Man U but that would be better than some exotic London club.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:13:42 AM »

I grew up mainly in Timperley,i now live 240 miles away,but am still a big Alty fan,did try watching Exeter when i first moved down,saw them know Leatherhead and Newcastle out of the FAcup,but its not the same as watching Alty.
Harold

ALTYGAL

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »

Now live in the shadow of the Edgeley Park floodlights, but will always be ALTY thru'n thru :)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »

Is it impossible to register on the scfc yellow board btw ?

Barry Howard was my Hero

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 01:15:19 PM »

No, just click on yellow board registration at the top.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »

No, just click on yellow board registration at the top.

no link to register

York Alty

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »

oooh just like Leek?

Baldrick

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »

Stockport have gone part time, although this apparently means they will only train two hours a week less than they did full time. I think they will win the BSN easily next season. The standard of most clubs in this division is a long way behind BSP level.

thegazelle

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »

Stockport have gone part time, although this apparently means they will only train two hours a week less than they did full time. I think they will win the BSN easily next season. The standard of most clubs in this division is a long way behind BSP level.

Not being negative but not if were in it, then there's Halifax and guisley who could give them a run for their money(or lack of money)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Weird feeling