News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Message for the club stewards

Author Topic: Message for the club stewards  (Read 3539 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:29:50 AM »

Nobody could foresee what was going to happen today.........you are blameless in all this.  Keep up the good work.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Message for the club stewards
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »

Mick

Thanks for the message, I had a sleepless night last night worrying over this, your comments helped.

Steve from Sale

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »

I seond Mick's comment....we have always had good stewarding...even in the days of the Unibond we had a professional set up of a dozen trained volunteers for matches against colwyn bay etc in a league where most stewards doubled as ball boys.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »

Yes.
My full support too to the Stewards.
Remember they are supposed to guide the proceedings/crowd not be prison officers or riot police!

Keep up the good work!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »

Far be it from me to suggest how Phil, Darren and their team go about the job, but doesn't stewarding start outside the ground, and picking out who and what they are carrying isn't allowed into the ground?

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »

Considering numbers I think they did all they could.

Thanks very much, without you it would have been a lot worse.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »

Far be it from me to suggest how Phil, Darren and their team go about the job, but doesn't stewarding start outside the ground, and picking out who and what they are carrying isn't allowed into the ground?

Yes stewarding does start outside the ground with monitering movement searching etc but you need the staffing levels to do this which we don't have, You need at least 2 stewards on every turnsile block then no one can say you nicked something out of my pocket when searching or similar lines so you also have another steward there as a witness so with our ground that means 6-8 stewards depending on how many turnstile blocks are being used, Also on the inside you have 6 exit gates thet need manning plus the bar, pass gates etc. There was only 12 of us yesterday you do the maths.
Some people think i ask every season for extra volunteers is a laugh just so my peeke rating goes up because some of you get pissed of with it.
Some matches during the last couple of season i have had sleepless nights worrying about certain matches and stewarding levels. I:e boxing day agaisnt Northwich with it being xmas and no public transport we are always down on staff but there was no trouble as the 15 stewards managed with a far biggar crowd.
Yesterday zero's had no respect for non league football and didn't know we had rules and ground regs like all league teams.
@AltyDaz

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 04:10:29 PM »

I fully accept that, and I wasn't having a go. If all people attending football matches could be trusted to behave themselves we wouldn't need stewards at all.

Isn't there a case for inviting both MUFC and FCUM to bring along some of their own stewards on occasions like this?

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »

I fully accept that, and I wasn't having a go. If all people attending football matches could be trusted to behave themselves we wouldn't need stewards at all.

Isn't there a case for inviting both MUFC and FCUM to bring along some of their own stewards on occasions like this?

Yes in hindsight yes, When Man utd reserves played at moss lane and after the first and only anti-Glazier pitch invasion which went off peacefully Man utd bought in there own stewards (who watched more football than ours) and police at there exspense
@AltyDaz

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »

Yes stewarding does start outside the ground with monitering movement searching etc but you need the staffing levels to do this which we don't have, You need at least 2 stewards on every turnsile block then no one can say you nicked something out of my pocket when searching or similar lines so you also have another steward there as a witness so with our ground that means 6-8 stewards depending on how many turnstile blocks are being used, Also on the inside you have 6 exit gates thet need manning plus the bar, pass gates etc. There was only 12 of us yesterday you do the maths.
Some people think i ask every season for extra volunteers is a laugh just so my peeke rating goes up because some of you get pissed of with it.
Some matches during the last couple of season i have had sleepless nights worrying about certain matches and stewarding levels. I:e boxing day agaisnt Northwich with it being xmas and no public transport we are always down on staff but there was no trouble as the 15 stewards managed with a far biggar crowd.
Yesterday zero's had no respect for non league football and didn't know we had rules and ground regs like all league teams.

I totally agree with what you are saying, but if a league game was abandoned against say, Torquay at 86 minutes because of a copy of yesterdays events, we as a club could find a VERY hefty fine landing through the door. Something needs to be adressed about the absolutley scandolous amount of alcohol that was in the ground, the Chequers end was littered with cans of Carling. Again, i'm not having a pop at the stewards, but WE definatley need to look at the alcohol issue.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »

There does seem to be a lot of (a) general support for the Stewards at Moss Lane - and quite rightly too and (b) Concern about events of yesterday.

To echo what has been said before all the Stewards are NVQ qualified and all are volunteers.

Darren has regularly asked for more volunteers (who will be trained by the way) to increase the numbers but sadly the response levels have not been too encouraging.

If a stage were ever to be reached where the current (and future) volunteer force was insufficient then paid staff would have to be taken on to do the job and we're not talking a fiver a game here folk. Also it may be necessary to have a regular Police presence (I think a minimum of £250 per Constable, more for Seregeants, Inspectors etc)

I know that some people cannot steward and some people don't want to and that's fine but if you know someone who might want to volunteer ask them to get in touch with Darren or the Club

This isn't a threat to try to force folk into the job - just a reminder of how much money we don't pay out which may be available for the playing budget if we can keep our stewarding 'in house' for the majority of games

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »

Yesterdays events show we definatly need more man (or woman) power. Now is the time to rally, maybe a few of them posters in the 'club needs you' mould could be printed and a small advertisement in the Messenger be posted ? I would definalty do it if it weren't for travelling and not knowing which games I can attend and 3 children to sort !

altyf

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »

I desperately hope yesterdays events don't force any stewards to leave their post. Steve, the vast majority of Alty fans know you were not at fault yesterday and I fully sympathise with you. You are human just like any other on this forum with a family and shouldn't have to confront idiots like that and put your safety on the line. The police quite clearly should have done more and the sad thing is, no-one is going to volunteer to be a steward after yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:25:28 PM by Moss Lane Man »

andi_cardiff

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 07:15:44 PM »

I used to be a steward for Cardiff so know how stressful it can be, used to always be with the away fans and when you got the likes of Birmingham, Millwall, Leeds etc then there is not much that you can do without the police backup, not too sure what the situation is with CCTV at Moss Lane but maybe an avenue to explore would be to review this and pass it on to the relevant autorities?!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team