PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Better Team Won
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Better Team Won  (Read 7064 times)

markecky

Re: Better Team Won
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »

I thought that as well, he seemed very keen when he came on and showed a good touch.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »

Difficult to say about Carden but he was ok it seemed. Yesterday was a bit annoying as you felt we could take them and some of us were moaning about GH's selection etc but it kind of goes both ways. The stifling of Wrexham has worked in the past, I don't think conceding in the 3rd minute was quite in the game plan though.

Some people were confused about the selection but we said last week that we hadn't played well so it was fair enough to change it. Some have said Denham is being wasted, some of us thought he was awful last week and took 20 mins to get in the game this week but there you go, you'd struggle to have put him on the right wing ahead of Lawton on last weeks performance.  Lawton was possibly there to do the running and defending down that flank as that's where Wrexham were attacking a lot (until Sinclair went off)  Little must obviously be injured to not get on at all.

I think basically we just lost a game of football and it happens. We're not quite at the level (despite what some of us think) where we win 3 or 4 league games on the bounce so I half expected this but by that same token feel a bit more optimistic about next week against Salisbury.

Please buy as many raffle tickets as yuo can next week. The draw will take place at 5.30pm (or possibly 5.40pm at half time in the rugby)

JonnyKeen

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »

Incidentally, Heathcote mentioned in the programme that last week's incident had been caused by someone calling him "clueless".

Couldn't of been Dino?

Jenga

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »

The best team won.

The problem I saw (probably the only person who thought this but hey nevermind), they wanted the game more, they ran more, they closed the space more, they won the 50/50 balls and generally beat us in almost every department.

For me it was disappointing but a reality check is when you look at the sort of teams we are playing against, it is nice to play Wrexham and not Worcester.

Heard alot of people have a pop at Lawton shouting get Denham on. Now I am not the biggest fan of lawton, but I thought he played really well on Saturday and with performances like that I will be a big fan of his once again.

Thought we struggled final third to do much.

Not going to be easy against Salisbury, they are effectively 2 points above us in the league, but not sure if they have had to sell players etc etc, either way here is hoping for another home win next Saturday.

fuertes

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »

The problem I saw (probably the only person who thought this but hey nevermind), they wanted the game more, they ran more, they closed the space more, they won the 50/50 balls and generally beat us in almost every department.

For me it was disappointing but a reality check is when you look at the sort of teams we are playing against, it is nice to play Wrexham and not Worcester.

Heard alot of people have a pop at Lawton shouting get Denham on. Now I am not the biggest fan of lawton, but I thought he played really well on Saturday and with performances like that I will be a big fan of his once again.

I didn't think it was a lack of effort at all. The lads seemed to be trying hard, but we employed the wrong tactics, and McAliskey is nowhere near as good as Dale. Then there's the fact that a couple of times Wrexham were moving the ball around very nicely, our lads just couldn't deal with it.

Good point. This is still the best position we've been in for years.

I thought Robbie tried hard and didn't let anyone down, but he looked like what he is - a workmanlike central midfielder running up and down the right flank. It has to be Denham on the right every time in a 4-4-2, Shirley? We needed penetration yesterday. We simply hoofed to McAliskey, and wehn that didn't work, continued hoofing to him.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »

I'd agree we were a bit one dimensional compared to Wrexham's movement off the ball.

They proved what can be done when you put the ball on the deck and pass it around  a bit more often.

jimmyhank

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 04:44:02 PM »

Can't moan about the result - the better team won on the day (and playing some very good football, too). There did appear to be a massive void on the right flank and we were either very narrow or lumped it to McAliskey. Like a few of you have already said it was a bit of an honesty check for us. Let's not forget that we have a very plausible defensive record in the BSP this season and if we can muster a bit more creativity going forward then all the better. Still having a great season and the next few league games are all winnable. C'mon the Robins!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Better Team Won