PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Better Team Won
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Better Team Won  (Read 7061 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Better Team Won
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »

In fairness without the effort put in by Lawton we would have been in more serious trouble. Densmore and Kearney were woeful today and given that the latter is supposedly most creative, he plays two yard balls from side to side and does not like to dig in and do the hard graft. Be thankful that Lawton offers 100% week in week out. Too many players are living on reputations and you're only as good as your last game which today was extremely poor.

For a creative player to create he has to have a few things.

One - The talent to do it

Two - The quantity and quality of supply to do it with

Three - Someone making either a run or some space to enable him to utilise the first two

IMO there is no doubt that Tom has the quality - he proved that earlier in the season and has also done so at previous clubs. A Wrexham guy I was talking to today said that he was unlucky at Wrexham - the Manager didn't rate him and he never got a look in

We've stopped giving him ball he can use. Either we hump it long or he gets it in no space surrounded by opponents and with a couple of exceptions we give him little or no options. Senior and Denham make intelligent runs and Densmore will always try to make space to receive it but other than that we do struggle to maximise Tom's ability.

I find it frustrating that people criticise Shaun Densmore when he is playing in a position in which he seems to be not happy and not confident.

I know we can blather on about needing to use the limited resources we have as we can and how James Smith is a very good central defender but, from memory, we were quite successful with Smithy at Right Back and Shaun on the right of midfield. This gave us penetration down the right and gave the midfield an option to spread the play either left, right or through the middle.

fuertes

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »

I know we can blather on about needing to use the limited resources we have as we can and how James Smith is a very good central defender but, from memory, we were quite successful with Smithy at Right Back and Shaun on the right of midfield. This gave us penetration down the right and gave the midfield an option to spread the play either left, right or through the middle.

Top post. Couldn't agree more with this. Smithy is good either at right back or in the centre. If Williams and Young are a slightly inferior centre-back partnership, but our right flank is strengthened immeasurably, surely it benefits the team as a whole to change it as suggested above?

Obviously, Heathcote knows more than us. Perhaps Smith has told him privately he absolutely hates playing right back, or Youngy has said he needs a partner with pace, I really don't know. However, as an outsider I think Lawton in front of Densmore is totally wrong.

RocketDan

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »

have to agree williams and young is our 1st choice partnership, if not only for their presence in the air and their goal threat from set pieces.

CPD Wrecsam

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 12:15:16 AM »

I agree that the better team won today. A brilliant performance from us (bar the last 5 minutes, got really sloppy). The play where baynes hit the bar was quality, and the shot was too. 1st goal, a bit of poor defending by your left back, ball watching, leaving Mangan free to slot home at the far post. The 2nd goal i thought was great play by Mangan with the backheel to leave baynes with a simple task of putting the ball in the net. The 3rd goal was also a great finish from Mark Jones. Some of the chances we missed was also beyond me, but onwards and upwards from here for us, still got 21 games to play!

On to you now, i felt that you knocked the ball around rather well, but the killer pass was missing all game, on numerous occasions your midfielders slotted through balls no where near your strikers, on a different day they may have found them. The defence looked abit leggy today but they impressed me over the 2 FA Trophy games. I feel you are not far away from being a really good team, you just need to win your home games, you seem to be good on the road!

Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the season (apart from the return game at the Racecourse!), and i hope more and more fans turn up to watch you, your fans at the game today were very supportive even when 3 - 0 down, a credit to your club, well done all!

tottenham alty

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 02:23:09 AM »

I'm more concerned about players like Denham who I know are good players but aren't showing it when they come on.

I'd like to see Denham start more games... as arguably our best creative attacking talent, maybe we should be building the team around him?

taxi Phil

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 04:00:40 AM »

I'd like to see Denham start more games... as arguably our best creative attacking talent, maybe we should be building the team around him?

On today's showing he wouldn't be worth a starting place - but therein lies part of the probem. Denham is a confidence player, and we tend to see him at his best when he gets an extended run in the starting XI. I do sometimes wonder if GH and he just don't get on ! I'm not generally a Heathcote basher, BUT........

I thought Anthony Danylyk was one of our better players in the first half - and I said to joe that GH was bound to take him off. And I was right. Was I seeing a different game to everybody else including GH ? Nobody else feel he was poorly rewarded for putting in a decent shift when some of those around him were struggling ?

No doubt that Smith was Man of the Match today though.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 08:13:31 AM »

On the day the best team won and with money now avaliable Wrexham shouldl make a late push. On days like these our part time status really shows although lets not forget its great to be looking up rather than down, proud of the boys as always.

brian1925

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »

Denham should certainly start - it's a complete waste having a player like that on the bench. Ecky is right - Clee is an impact player who should come on in the second half, perhaps for a tired Denham. Carden is more than good enough to start games from now on - I really hope GH uses him, or the guy will be gone. McAliskey needs to play until Dale is back - it's a no-brainer leaving him out. Our home form may be solved if GH sorts out how to deploy Smith and Densmore - both need to play, but it's a question of where really. I agree with various posters above about Smith playing at right back with the two big guys in the middle. That just leaves a choice between Lawton and Densmore in midfield, which is difficult with Robbie playing so well - glad I'm not a manager!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »

Unlike most of our home games, walked away from yesterdays game saying, fair point, better team won.  On a good day we could have beaten them and had the game stayed 0-0 for 20 odd mins we could have found them the less confident team we have seen before.  My point is that we played to their strengths and are getting a little guilty of doing what we used to with Johnson which was always playing the high ball to Mcaliskey, they didn't always win that ball but their defense (which has loads of clean sheets this season) certainly covered the flick on.  I would have put lawton in the middle for danylk and denham on the right wing.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »

Dont think big Mac is of BSP standard but its the best we can get with our budget,as regards to Densmore he looks out of position at full back ,think Smith a better option ,and we will have another option at centre back when welch is fully fit , having said that we havent defended to badly this season , but lately our midfield seems to let us down may be if Densmore moved to right mid and Lawton centre, Densmore is a good crosser of the ball as he proved against Chester away

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »

I was talking to a guy in the crowd a couple of weeks ago who is a mate of Robbie Williams, and I suggested that Smith should play at Right Back and he said that Smithy wont play in that position... Not sure how true that is...

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »

The goals are on You Tube, personally I can't bear to look.
Wrexham normally feature on a welsh tv sports programme called Sgorio, a match report from this will probably be posted on Red Passion tomorrow night, for the masochists out there.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »

How many dozens of crosses did Wrecsam get in yesterday?

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »

How many dozens of crosses did Wrecsam get in yesterday?

JonnyKeen

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »

How did everyone rate Carden? thought he looked pretty good myself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Better Team Won