PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Better Team Won
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Better Team Won  (Read 7063 times)

markecky

Better Team Won
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »

When a team low on confidence get a boost like that in the 4th minute its always going to be hard, they never looked back from that and there 2nd and 3rd were great goals. 

We never got going in the first half at all and too many moves came to nothing, despite he best efforts of McAliskey.

At least we had a go second half and if our header that hit the bar in the last minute had gone in, you never know.

Overall a poor performance though but I did feel that Wrexham have been waiting to do that to someone.

As I say, better team won and a bit of a reality check for us.

Still, I'd take top half and not checking my phone every two minutes for how Forest Green are getting on, to playing some sh*t like Redditch at home in front of 512.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Better Team Won
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »

Didn't get going until it was too late, reminded me of the Mansfield FA Cup game. Just had no threat or penetration at all, completely blunt.
Hope we can learn from this, though I still wouldn't play McAliskey if my life depended on it.

Still, it was funny watching Mangan, he runs like a girl!

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »

I think you've summed it up there pretty well but what annoyed me today was the lack of fire power in front of goal.

When we were1 down i felt as though we matched them and never once felt that we were going to get a hammering however I couldn't see us scoring. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it was 70 mins before we had our first attempt on goal. Ok, we had a few after that and with a bit of good fortune we could have had 3, but they could have had 5 or 6 at least.

Againt Hayes we only had 3 chances then and they all went in which was fantastic but I am becoming concerned that we don't look like we're going to score which is infuriating when we're playing well. If we play poorly and don't create anything then I can accept it but we matched them today for the first 20 minutes. When they went 2 up they'd only created 2 chances but tucked them both away.

Oh yeah, and Dennis's brother is a total knob and should be banned from ML - seriously

markecky

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »

Didn't get going until it was too late, reminded me of the Mansfield FA Cup game. Just had no threat or penetration at all, completely blunt.
Hope we can learn from this, though I still wouldn't play McAliskey if my life depended on it.

Still, it was funny watching Mangan, he runs like a girl!

Its all about opinions but in the first half I thought Mcaliskey was the best player on the team, held it up well, intelligent flick ons and did really well.  It was just a shame that they came to nothing.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »

I think you've summed it up there pretty well but what annoyed me today was the lack of fire power in front of goal.

When we were1 down i felt as though we matched them and never once felt that we were going to get a hammering however I couldn't see us scoring. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it was 70 mins before we had our first attempt on goal. Ok, we had a few after that and with a bit of good fortune we could have had 3, but they could have had 5 or 6 at least.

Againt Hayes we only had 3 chances then and they all went in which was fantastic but I am becoming concerned that we don't look like we're going to score which is infuriating when we're playing well. If we play poorly and don't create anything then I can accept it but we matched them today for the first 20 minutes. When they went 2 up they'd only created 2 chances but tucked them both away.

Oh yeah, and Dennis's brother is a total knob and should be banned from ML - seriously

David Birch was warned today by Grahame Rowley to behave at the start of the match.

From people I spoke to at half time it seems he hasn't listened.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »

Sure, a lot of people on here seem to rate McAliskey, I can't get to every game so maybe I haven't seem him at his best.
This was a worrying performance though, we could have lost by more and been humiliated.
Time for GH to earn his money, I think.

Bazbatteria

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:22:12 PM »

I thought McAliskey was poor today, then again so were Alty, no need to blame any individuals today, we were well beaten. bit gutted thought we might have ground out a nil nil today. :'(

markecky

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »

Sure, a lot of people on here seem to rate McAliskey, I can't get to every game so maybe I haven't seem him at his best.
This was a worrying performance though, we could have lost by more and been humiliated.

I don't rate him that much, I thought he was OK against Hayes and better today.  He is all we can afford so we'd better get used to him.

I'm more concerned about players like Denham who I know are good players but aren't showing it when they come on.

And today confirmed to me that Nicky Clee is an impact player who does well when he comes on to shake things up but it not effective from the start.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »

I'd say he's probably done that already this season, hasn't he?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 06:35:51 PM »

Yes, but there's no doubt that as a team we can play better.
GH has done wonders this season, nobody's denying that, I just hope that he can find a better way for us to play than we did today.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »

We could have carved plenty of chances down the right hand side,especially more so when sinclair went off if we had played a right midfielder rather than shoe horning the undropable club captain into the side by playing him in right midfield. Baffling team selection today,too much respect given to a moderate midtable outfit.

Nonleaguer

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »

In fairness without the effort put in by Lawton we would have been in more serious trouble. Densmore and Kearney were woeful today and given that the latter is supposedly most creative, he plays two yard balls from side to side and does not like to dig in and do the hard graft. Be thankful that Lawton offers 100% week in week out. Too many players are living on reputations and you're only as good as your last game which today was extremely poor.

Jacko

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »

Looked a league above us today,  there a threat to anyone in this league now imo

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »

I thought we paid them far to much respect in the first half and we seemed scared of the "Cheat" Manigen, (who IMO for what it is worth shouldnt have been on the pitch for at least a season).

Second half was much better but the damage was done in the first 45 mins

I thought Lawton had a decent game, and Chris Senior also.

To be fair to Wrexham they looked a good side and deservedly took the 3 pts.

Great to see a big crowd 1821 to bring some much needed cash into the club coffers.

As for David Birch, (I too saw Graham Rowley have a chat with him before the kick off) I only suppose it was about his constant dripping but wasnt privy to the conversation,

The Stewards did a good job once his annoying antics were bought to there attention  and thank you to them for that.

The game is now history so its onwards and upwards from here, 3 pts against Salisbury next week would be great.

Cmon Alty.

fuertes

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »

They played well, that move that ended up with them striking the bar was some of the best stuff I've seen at this level.

However, we should have done better. I'm a big fan of Heathcote, I think he does well with what he's got, but Robbie Lawton right wing? WTF? I can think of literally four or five preferable team selections. Robbie is a decent, hard-working central midfielder. He is a poor winger.

Then, McAliskey. He's like a weaker, much, much slower Dale Johnson. He's shooting is really weak. I'm not against him being in the squad, occasionally having the big man up top is a necessity and I accept that, but I don't think he should be starting when all our forwards are fit. Then there's the fact that the team seem to resort to hoofing it onto his head at every opportunity just because they know he's there. Irritating, especially given that considering his gargantuan size he doesn't win enough in the air. If we want a striker whose sole job is to stand there and win headers, which is how the team played today, I'd prefer throwing Young or Williams up there. Seriously.

Disappointing, but we've got a couple of winnable games in which to put things right. I'd like to see Carden given a chance, and I'd be especially pleased if, and I don't care whether it means selction changes or a formation change, we stopped playing Densmore at full-back in a flat back four. He's not good in that position.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Better Team Won