PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 With the FA Cup 1st round looming....
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: With the FA Cup 1st round looming....  (Read 8140 times)

markecky

Re: With the FA Cup 1st round looming....
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »

Did anyone watch Alty away at Layer Road in the early 90's when Colchester were in the conference

The 2 games at Colchester were memorable, for the wrong reasons unfortunately. 90/91 was a top-ish of the table clash, finishing 3-3. Early on, a bunch of local knuckle heads were let into the away end as they persuaded the police that they were Alty fans who had gone in the wrong end by mistake. Despite our protests to the police that they were squadies itching for a fight, in they came and all hell broke loose.
91-92 was different as there were only about 30 of us there, as opposed to 200 the year before. Can't remember much about the game apart from it finishing 1-1. On the way out a few Alty fans were jumped by some friendly locals and we ended up getting a lift back to the station by the police to avoid any more nonsense.

That really was policing at its best.  All the other bits are full and Alty haven't fuilled their end so we'll just let a few more in there.  A scary day as a 15 year old!!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »

Did anyone watch Alty away at Layer Road in the early 90's when Colchester were in the conference

The 2 games at Colchester were memorable, for the wrong reasons unfortunately. 90/91 was a top-ish of the table clash, finishing 3-3. Early on, a bunch of local knuckle heads were let into the away end as they persuaded the police that they were Alty fans who had gone in the wrong end by mistake. Despite our protests to the police that they were squadies itching for a fight, in they came and all hell broke loose.
91-92 was different as there were only about 30 of us there, as opposed to 200 the year before. Can't remember much about the game apart from it finishing 1-1. On the way out a few Alty fans were jumped by some friendly locals and we ended up getting a lift back to the station by the police to avoid any more nonsense.

The game in the 90/91 season was 1-1, wasn't it? Nicky Daws with ours, I seem to remember.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »

Spotter's badge there Laurence, you are of course correct - I mixed up the scores. Will attempt to rectify my failing memory with a night of Alty chat in the Bull tonight with JTH.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 05:46:01 PM »

Thanks Knutsford Alty for the photo of Cold Blow Lane. Looks a beast even when empty.

I went to an FA Cup match there in 1989 between Millwall and Liverpool.

Full house of about 24,000. The fences were high with the revolving spikes on top, making it impossible to get onto the pitch.

Somehow a Millwall fan did get onto the pitch whereupon a trio of burly officers pounced on him.

And then the crowd pelted the coppers with pies.

Aaah, golden memories.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »

Spotter's badge there Laurence, you are of course correct - I mixed up the scores. Will attempt to rectify my failing memory with a night of Alty chat in the Bull tonight with JTH.

Can't imagine he'll want to tell you any Alty-based anecdotes.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »

Ahh yes, as Mad Frankie describes (apart from the scores mix-up). I remember having a heated debate with one of the officers in our end explaining that ALL Alty fans were already in, but he was singularly uninterested. Come kick-off it did in our end, I was caught with a glancing blow and caught one of them with similar. I returned to the same officer to give him a piece (and not a particularly pleasant one) of my mind whereupon I was basically told to shut it or I'd be arrested (not the first time that's happened to me at an Alty match, the other occasion being away at Boston......that's being threatened with arrest rather than the actual thing). A thoroughly unpleasant experience.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »

Cold Blow Lane.....I have been to the New Den but fair play for getting the old beast in

Never was a ground more aptly named.......
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 With the FA Cup 1st round looming....