PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite Memories
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favourite Memories  (Read 8175 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Memories
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »

Another Vics / Spurs memory:

On the way back from the 1-1 at White Hart Lane, the Alty special train stopped in Northwich station for ages at about 1 in the morning, and boy did we sing ourselves hoarse.

Great to see a picture of Dave Ryan again which just shows how one mellows over the years.

thegazelle

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »

A million memories and one no memories as i was so drunk i had to look up the score in the paper the next day.
Good chip barms we always seem t out number them and certainly sang more
On the train front we stopped by witton park for ages coming back from wembley in 78 . hurling abuse and beer cans at a bunch of vics fans.

and the less said about that cheshire senior cup fnal the better
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:49:19 PM by thegazelle »

York Alty

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »

Well, early February 1976 not a football day, but the day I met Mrs Bogman in the shadows of Drill Field.
It was RAG week and students from Manchester, Salford, Alty etc..descended on that small inconsequential town in mid Cheshire to take part in various It' a Knock Out Games just by the footbridge over the Dane adjacent to Drill Field.

I spotted the young lady and sepnd the next hour or dumping her in the then fishing her out! There began a long story...

Just about the only good thing that happened to me near or at Drill Field!

Pic attached recorded the event.

too much info...

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »

I have stood with Dave Ryan on the Golf Road believe it or not.

He was also a pretty good cricketer.

I remember a time back in the mid 80's at the railway end, there were a few houses behind the terrace.
Now funny thing was, that there was always a couple of foot gap between the roofing & the wall at the back of the terrace &
i remember the ball went into one of the gardens , the next thing, a bucket of water came flying through the gap between the roof
& the back wall.

Good old days.

York Alty

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

second leg of the league cup final in the second season of the APL. I remember this HUGE atmosphere, that was a fantastic memory, shame about the bloody result though.

Being chased back to the station also stands out.  

In the final days of that dump I remember totally out singing them (as per usual).

I don't miss that town or that cruddy little ground though if I am honest.

York Alty

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »

I have stood with Dave Ryan on the Golf Road believe it or not.

He was also a pretty good cricketer.

I remember a time back in the mid 80's at the railway end, there were a few houses behind the terrace.
Now funny thing was, that there was always a couple of foot gap between the roofing & the wall at the back of the terrace &
i remember the ball went into one of the gardens , the next thing, a bucket of water came flying through the gap between the roof
& the back wall.

Good old days.

Fair do to Dave Ryan- he stood on the Golf Road a few times.  he was a decent keeper, but he played out of his skin against us.

thegazelle

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »

second leg of the league cup final in the second season of the APL. I remember this HUGE atmosphere, that was a fantastic memory, shame about the bloody result though.

Being chased back to the station also stands out. 

In the final days of that dump I remember totally out singing them (as per usual).

I don't miss that town or that cruddy little ground though if I am honest.

I think it was the only ground we never got any hassle at that concerend us and felt like we ruled the roost every tme we went there.

if some one gets me drunk i'll tell the story of climbing in the ground and digging the pitch up not that i was involved
or any respectable50+ year old

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »

APL Cup Final was 1st season of the APL.

I remember we played them in the APL Cup in the 3rd season of the league.  We won the 1st leg at Moss Lane 1-0 in the October.  The second leg at Drill Field was in March.  We won 3-1  - this is the only time I have seen us win there.  I then caught the 0027 from Manchester Piccadilly back to London Euston, arriving at 0535. 

What kind of idiot would travel up from London to Northwich for a League Cup match?

York Alty

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »

[/quote]

I think it was the only ground we never got any hassle at that concerend us and felt like we ruled the roost every tme we went there.

if some one gets me drunk i'll tell the story of climbing in the ground and digging the pitch up not that i was involved
[/quote]

agreed!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

I so much want to upload THAT Witton game onto you tube but not enough years have passed yet  :D
ParkINson's red and white army

markecky

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »

I so much want to upload THAT Witton game onto you tube but not enough years have passed yet  :D

No that would be a terrible idea...

anglo alty

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »

evey time i have been there it always seemed to be damp cold and miserable i went there once with a mate to see vics play harriers and the welcome we recieved was a lot more friendly invited into there club i was and bought a pint i didn't let on

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 07:20:20 PM »

No that would be a terrible idea...
i will wait till we are old and senile
ParkINson's red and white army

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »

agree with that, one of the few grounds you never felt you were in trouble -  perhaps because there were always loads of us?
always enjoyed going there despite the general bad results, we often used to stand in front of the main stand and argue with the old blokes who would congregate there, you know how it went
them   'bloody rubbish altrincham'
us 'champions though'
them 'by being dirty'
us 'third round of the fa cup though'
etcetera etcetera

gazelle - werent there pictures?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »

Well, early February 1976 not a football day, but the day I met Mrs Bogman in the shadows of Drill Field.
It was RAG week and students from Manchester, Salford, Alty etc..descended on that small inconsequential town in mid Cheshire to take part in various It' a Knock Out Games just by the footbridge over the Dane adjacent to Drill Field.

I spotted the young lady and sepnd the next hour or dumping her in the then fishing her out! There began a long story...

Just about the only good thing that happened to me near or at Drill Field!

Pic attached recorded the event.

Quality story........& look at the positive body language.......Elaine is fondling your calf.........always a good sign :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite Memories