PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to  (Read 8048 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 12:17:34 AM »

Worst.. the first loss to Cammel Laird in the CSC away in 19 whenever it was. The complete opposite of the two above... we were brought down to earth with a crash on a cold park pitch, beaten by a bunch of hard wroking lkads who wanted it more.

Who went to Cammel Laird that day?

Nic,

I was at Cammell Laird for our disastrous debut there on 11th February 1978.

A 3-2 defeat and the only highlight of the afternoon was seeing two of my Alty heroes, Gerry Casey and Joe Pritchard, present at the game.

They had a big, rugged centre forward called Tommy Farragher, who caused us lots of problems.
Indeed, Stan Storton at Runcorn subsequently signed him and then played him against us in the FA Trophy Semi-Final a couple of months later (although to no real effect on that occasion).

One thing that always stands out in my mind from that first visit to Cammell Laird is an image of an old Scouse character who spent the entire 90 minutes berating Stan Allan and informing him that he was a "yard dog."  

I always wondered just what it was that Stan Allan had done in a previous life that had riled him so much...!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

scott tompson

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »

Worst: Mansfield away fa cup lost 3 0
Best: lost of them Weymouth away 2 2, barrow away 3 0,northwich away 2 1and Cambridge at home 5 0

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »

Salisbury 4 Alty 1

Please let us beat Blyth and get them in the Trophy 3rd round, on a Tuesday night if possible.

bumble

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 01:52:49 PM »

Salisbury 4 Alty 1

Please let us beat Blyth and get them in the Trophy 3rd round, on a Tuesday night if possible.

Theyll have to beat Wrexham

Alex

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »

Ok best game....

Theres a few i could choose from but the game im gonna opt for is a strange choice considering the result saw us relegated but for me the 2-2 at weymouth was fantastic the whole atmosphere in the build up to the match be it Drinking outside the dotty discussing the finer points of vallour with a rugby team that were on tour, to the epic game of beach football that saw a shock result in that i actually ran for a ball !! then raiding the local taxi company for every cab they had available to transport 20 alty fans on mass to the wessex stadium that was in truth 10 minuets walk away.
Then there was the match itself..a fantastic beer fueled atmosphere was created on the south coast complete with chanting from 10 minuets before kick off to the degree that no one noticed the team had emerged until darren tinson started throwing shirts into the crowd. this atmosphere wasn't dampend by weymouth taking the lead (oh scotty you didn't like being on setanta) and the fact that we had to stop rebbeca lowe from being crushed in the mele that ensued on colin littles equaliser.
The ovation the players got at the end just showed me what great support we have, weymouth had stayed up and there fans had deserted the ground. We had been relegated and sang and applauded our team for 20 minuets after the final whistle.

Worst game...

How long have you got...Many to choose from but i will go for daganham at home in our second season back in the confrence i don't think we ever touched the ball that day we were taken to school and not even the late introduction of Karl Munroe could lift the spirit of the crowd.

thelaw

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 07:44:17 PM »

Only been following alty for two years now, but for me ..

Best = Chester away last season, the brilliant train travel with mates, the amazing footie and of course singing angels on a dark cold night in Chester!

Worst= probley Eastbourne away this season, the sher amount of time to travel their and they play like that! The utter humiliation of walking though the Eastbourne fans as they scored. and to top it of that sh*te video they played on the coach!

:-\

bumble

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »

Well - from reading the post everyone seems to have different views which is to be expected

Chester has featured a few times
NV has featured a few times

Eastbourne this year too
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to