PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to  (Read 8049 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »

Best: Altrincham 4 Barnet 1. 1991. The day we clinched the GM Vauxhall Conference title and promotion to the Football League

Er, that was how it turned out wasn't it? Wasn't it?....

The worst? Don't know, I guess things are never as bad as you remember them but there have been a few shockers. I'm not going to spoil my day thinking about them but rarely has a game been summed up better than Rosie just has. i'd add it was more painful for clarity of the different directions we were clearly heading in

Worst: Alty 0-4 Macc in 1995/96. They tore us a new arsehole that afternoon and it made grim viewing.

I guess if there was another one it would be Slough 3 Altrincham 3 in 1991. Still thinking about those events gives me a heavy heart.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »

The worst one that comes to mind for me was when Southport dumped us out of the Cup a couple of years ago beating us 4-1 (cant recall if it was the FA Cup or Trophy)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »

The worst one that comes to mind for me was when Southport dumped us out of the Cup a couple of years ago beating us 4-1 (cant recall if it was the FA Cup or Trophy)

Yeah it was the Trophy mate, I remember following that game in horror from the comfort of my living room.   :(
Come on Alty!

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »

Best: Wigan, Emley at home to win the Unibond, Runcorn Boxing Day 98, Bradford PA just for the last 5 minutes (that was when I knew we were destined to go back up). Since coming back up, Aldershot 2-0 away, the Northwich 3-0 and Cambridge 5-0 victory.That game was just stupid to think we'd just won by that scoreline to a team we shouldn't be playing a league game with!!

Worst: All the relegation games (Stevenage, Kiddy, Aldershot and Weymouth). A 4-0 defeat at home to Harrogate on the opening day will never be forgotten. A game that will be forgotten was a 0-0 against Bradford, think August Bank Holiday 2003. I have not seen a worse game of football in my life. Hardy hit the bar and that was all that happened in the game!!
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Altyant

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 06:17:55 PM »

There are a few that I have enjoyed: beating Aldershot and Cambridge 5-0, winning away at Wrexham, any win over Vics

Worst: Canvey Island at home when Boylan scored in the last minute was awful, loosing 3-2 at home against Woking after being 2 up was hard to take, however I dont think I ever felt as low as I did after Cambridge away the other week

bighairedmike

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »

Yeah it was the Trophy mate, I remember following that game in horror from the comfort of my living room.   :(

I remember being there and wishing I was in the comfort of my living room...

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 06:38:05 PM »

The Weymouth relegation game is a candidate for both, still proud of the singing drummed up by the many fans who made the trip, but the feeling at the end cancelled it out rather well.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 06:40:17 PM »

I can assure you that, even though your living room is located somewhere in Kent and I have no idea whatsoever as to exactly how comfortable it is, I, too, would rather have been there than watching us fritter away yet another opportunity to earn some prize money in that woeful FA Trophy display against Southport.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »

Best: Altrincham 4 Barnet 1. 1991. The day we clinched the GM Vauxhall Conference title and promotion to the Football LeagueEr, that was how it turned out wasn't it? Wasn't it?....

The worst? Don't know, I guess things are never as bad as you remember them but there have been a few shockers. I'm not going to spoil my day thinking about them but rarely has a game been summed up better than Rosie just has. i'd add it was more painful for clarity of the different directions we were clearly heading in

Worst: Alty 0-4 Macc in 1995/96. They tore us a new arsehole that afternoon and it made grim viewing.

I guess if there was another one it would be Slough 3 Altrincham 3 in 1991. Still thinking about those events gives me a heavy heart.

Can't diagree with that one Ballers.

Worst - Wycombe away the same season when Ken McKenna got sent off as it all went down hill from there..... :(

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »

Oh that was terrible. I remember deciding to go last minute. What a bad mistake!

Altyant

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »

Oh that was terrible. I remember deciding to go last minute. What a bad mistake!

Didnt it pour down with rain pretty much the whole game?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

Has anyone picked the 78-79 FA Cup tie at home v Southport, 2-0 down, 3-2 up, 3-3 at 90 mins then Jeff I think popped up to win it 4-3.
Droylsden next then off to White Hart Lane.

Moody Southport fans in the Golf Rd, chased out I recall, then their fans all leaving at 3-2, piling back in again at 3-3 then us winning it from the kick off. Brilliant.

Another, home v Yeovil after the second title win at Worcester, Yeovil fans in the Golf Rd, scarves swapped, much banter and love in chanting. Police marched in and moved the Yeovil out rather unnecessarily, but didn't really work as everyone was wearing each other's scarves. Fans mingled on the pitch at the end after a late show again by Jeff Johnson pulled a 0-1 to a 2-1.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »

Best 3 nil vs Sheffiled Utd... probably the most professional performance against a League team. Awesome, majestic, imperious.. as dominant as you could get.

2nd best.... and yes, a friendly   beating Malc Alsion's City team, complete with their stars. Ought to have been 5-4 to one or the other, but we just closed them down and beat them wiyth style... you should have seen Big Mal's face afterwards.  

3rd best,obviously 6-0 vs Scraborough and that awseome 5 from big Jack.

Yeovil league winning game was pretty good,the bantyer and post match stuff with the west country lads was indeed what non league used to be all about, but perhaps the Lincoln 88/89 Cup game was near the top for excitment.

Worst.. the first loss to Cammel Laird in the CSC away in 19 whenever it was. The complete opposite of the two above... we were brought down to earth with a crash on a cold park pitch, beaten by a bunch of hard wroking lkads who wanted it more.

Hard to really answer this question definitively after 45 seasons

next worst.. any defeat by Vics!

Who went to Cammel Laird that day?

6-1 at Burnley was not so bad.. Trevor Steven, at just 16 was spectacular that night... it was a priviledge to see his performance that night. He just ripped us to shreds.

taxi Phil

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »

[quote author=Bogman of Moss Lane link=topic=11502.msg127481#msg127481 date=12928776
6-1 at Burnley was not so bad.. Trevor Steven, at just 16 was spectacular that night... it was a priviledge to see his performance that night. He just ripped us to shreds.
[/quote]

Cult was right - Barry Howard's goal HAD slipped my mind. And you're right Nic, Steven was different class. If I recall correctly, Burnley were about 19th. in the old 3rd.Division, and when asked at work the next day what had gone wrong, I expressed the view that they were massively better than their position suggested. Sure enough, they were promoted !

It wasn't just Steven though. Billy Hamilton and Tommy Cassidy were outstanding, and to this day I haven't seen us Mullered like that when we didn't actually play badly. The disappointment was simply the realisation that we weren't quite as good as we believed.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 11:32:57 PM »

[quote author=Bogman of Moss Lane link=topic=11502.msg127481#msg127481 date=12928776

Cult was right - Barry Howard's goal HAD slipped my mind. And you're right Nic, Steven was different class. If I recall correctly, Burnley were about 19th. in the old 3rd.Division, and when asked at work the next day what had gone wrong, I expressed the view that they were massively better than their position suggested. Sure enough, they were promoted !

It wasn't just Steven though. Billy Hamilton and Tommy Cassidy were outstanding, and to this day I haven't seen us Mullered like that when we didn't actually play badly. The disappointment was simply the realisation that we weren't quite as good as we believed.
[/quote]

You are right....Burnley were outstanding. I saw them beat Bury 2-1 in the previous round a week before we went there.They had just changed their formation in the weeks before that to play Martin Dobson as a sweeper & this along with the very swift emergence of Trevor Steven improved the whole team dramatically.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to