PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to  (Read 8049 times)

bumble

« on: December 18, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »

I'll Start

worst : (away) Mansfield Fa cup Novemeber 2009, lost 3-0 with the sendings off, the ridiculous scoreboard ect... horrible town i could go on

Best : (home) Gatehead - err tuesday night game we won 3-2, getting beat scored 2 times, with a penalty in the dying seconds to win it :)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: Best/Worst Altrincham game you've been to
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »

Worst - Vauxhall away games (Choose any year), and Boston in FA Trophy sticks in mind

Best - Hard one,but first reaction is any game where Dickie Landon scored late on. Welling away is one I always remember for some reason.
Thoroughly enjoyed Weymouth away in FA Trophy too... and Also Spennymoor away, again very random I know but that was a great feelin.

How bizarre that the Trophy appears in my first, not really thought of ones .... Will think properly.

Weird but I also knew we'd win play offs so was not a surprise... Odd feelin that one.

andrewflynn

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »

Worst - I looked through the archives to give my memory a kick-start but I can't look over Eastbourne away from this year. Spent twelve hours of my day sat on a coach, watching some old comedian guy who's humour I really didn't get. Walking down what seemed their popular side to swap ends at the start of the game and they score in the 55th second, we are all right in the middle of them as they are celebrating, the feeling I got from that makes this game my worst as an Alty fan.

Best - there have been so many, Chester away last season, Luton away in the FA Cup, beating Cambridge 5-0... The one that stands out for me, personally, is Boxing Day against Northwich winning 3-0 with ten men. It just confirmed to me why I'm an Alty fan, the performance, the support, it made my Christmas! I realise that this is going to seem a pretty poor selection is comparison to some people, who can relate to FA Trophy finals and such, but my time for them will come!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:50:25 PM »

I'll begin with worst-I'd probably say losing 0-4 at home to Macc in 96-97 as they marched towards the League Title. The last time we played them at ML in a meaningful match and it was obvious that day that it would be quite some years before we met again. Mentions too for the heartbreaking 2-1 defeat at Stafford on a Sunday in April 1991 as the wheels came off our title bid with the utterly depressing 2-1 (I think it was, maybe even 2-0?) defeat to Northwich on the Thursday night finally ending our title bid. I'd also recall a 3-1 defeat at home to Witton in about Feb 1994 just before Kingy returned when we were utterly hopeless. I'd say the 3-0 defeat at Histon from this season is also worthy of inclusion. I was lucky in that our wilderness years of 2000-2004 I was living away at Uni so I missed much of the utter dross of that era.

Best, so many but in no particular order: 1990/91,  the 3-0 FAC 4QR win against Macc and the 5-3 on Boxing Day were especially satisfying. Also the 9-2 against Merthyr Tydfil. 1994-95, the whole of that FA Cup run, the drama of the 3-2 win vs Southport, Paul Collings heroics against Wigan and then the day out against Klinsmann et al at the Lane.  Moving on to 98-99 grinding out the wins to the Unibond title but  a 1-0 win at Bamber Bridge when we took over the whole ground, not a great display but we knew then it was ours for the taking, the 3-0 win at Frickley that secured it was also grand, amazing free kick off Paul Robertson. More recently I'd say the Play off run, the most satisfying game was actually not the final but to win away at Kettering and Nuneaton, big teams who weren't really fancied against twice in 5 days away from home after extra time. The OG at Kettering off the corner will never be forgotten! Of the last few years beating Vics 3-0 with 10 men stands out. I also enjoyed the 4-2 win in the driving rain at Dagenham when Tony Roberts dropped the ball onto Colin Little's feet as well as the teams effort and workrate in silencing a packed Abbey on the Day Cambridge needed to beat us to take the title.

chris888

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »

worst- i second the games already been said. worst away games mansfield away- seems like we forgot the concept of keeping the football, and aaron burns attempting to lift the fans despite him touching the ball very rarely and doing nothing with it. also, eastbourne, dreadful! only positive note was that of when robbie lawton came over and had to apologise for the performance, i appreciated that. but walking through their fans whilst they celebrated was not the best thing thats ever happened to me.

best- without a doubt its got to be a tie. chester away- playing so well in dreadful weather and an amazing atmosphere- best away day. and home game has to be cambridge, robbie lawton with that brillant effort from outside the box, 1-0 to us and a g,ood game to watch, beautiful weather and fantastic support that day  :)

Narcissist

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »

Worst - Rushden away, 3-2 loss, already relegated, farewell to the conf first time round. Was young at the time and it felt like the whole footballing world had fell apart. From Rushden to Emley in a matter of months was horific.

Best - The Tuesday night 3-2 win at Macc in Icy conditions sticks in my mind. The win at Stoke over Eastbourne put pay to the bad memories of Rushden so that felt like a great moment for me. Also the heart showed by players like Hussin and Owen that season was special and not really rivalled since (as I understand).

Altysteward93

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 12:12:51 AM »

Worst- Crawley home 2008. Lost 3-2 O'Neil sent off. I swear all 3 of their goals were offside and we had 1/2 goals disallowed. And all through the game you could here Steve Evans.

Best- So many come to mind. Chester away as mentioned, play off final, Millwall, Hayes last year, Sailsbury a few years ago- Shotton with 2.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 02:09:32 AM »

Best : 1978 Trophy final when we mullered Leatherhead; the 1-1 draw at Everton when John Hughes beat their offside trap like a true pro; the first time we drew at Spurs in 1979; the Chester FA Cup win when Clive Freeman hit his thunderbolt; the play-off final at Stoke; the win at Rotherham so soon after they'd taken us apart ! And less obviously, a 4-3 defeat at South Shields which was just a brilliant spectacle and a damn fine day out at a club whose fans were everything non league fans should be.

Worst : 1982 Trophy final when we never clocked on against Enfield; the 6-0 rout at Turf Moor which made me realise we were nowhere near as good a side as we thought we were; the 0-4 defeat to Rushden & Diamonds a couple of years back which made me break my resolution never to leave before the end; and the first attempt against Curzon this season which I believe was where we hit rock bottom.

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »

Best: Luton away (FA cup 2008).
Nothing special about the performance, but the atmosphere was amazing.  "We're here, we're from Altrincham"  for 30minutes solid. great stuff. probably the closest I am every going to get to a spurs type game.

Worst: Rushton & Diamonds away (2008)
Not a terrible score line (we lost 1-0), however i think we only had one chance all game. Factor in that it was probably the coldest i had ever been at a football match and being told to sit down every minute by the gestapo stewarding, and you have a pretty gash day.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »

Best: Eastbourne in the playoff final at Stoke. It was the culmination of a magical fortnight for the club, really special times which I'll always look upon with pride.

Worst: Alty 0-4 Macc in 1995/96. They tore us a new arsehole that afternoon and it made grim viewing.
Come on Alty!

bumble

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »

"Cruising at 3-1 after more than an hour of this game, Altrincham went to pieces. Smith was brought on for McAliskey and five minutes later Styche made it 3-2. Five minutes after that Densmore fouled Preece and Brown levelled the scores from the spot. With FGR pressing forward it came as no surprise when Smith got the winner after 77 minutes"

Playing FGR (who were bottom) 3-1 up at half time, losing 4-3 was pretty bad

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 03:34:43 PM »

Having been around for a while I can't pick a single game, as for the best, so many, FA Cup games v SC**thorpe, Crewe, Sheffield Utd, Everton, Liverpool...despite losing 4-1 it was amazing to be on the same pitch as that team, Spurs (twice), Rotherham, Trophy games, that Leatherhead final, what a day out for a 16 year old, plus trophy games that year and the season before against Matlock, Weymouth and Winsford, the league winning day at Gravesend in 1980, the Unibond party at Guiseley despite losing on the day, plus many many more.

Worst.....Boston in the Trophy semi, Histon this season was bad, Slough in 1994 when we really did blow it, getting decked by a 45 year old bloke as a 15 year old at Worksop afer we did them 7-1, losing 7-2 at Maidstone played at Dartford and by a similar score at Woking, the last game of the 96-7 season at Rushden losing 3-2 and having to put up with their stewarding despite them having some fans in our end for no real reason, 1-5 at home to Mossley, being freezing and watching a drab game at Wakefield in the pouring rain with no coat on for some daft reason, Burnley in the cup, probably more too.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »

The worst day Halifax away 93-4 I think ! it was abandoned five minutes before kick off, went to watch Bradford v Rectum down the road.
The best, winning 3-2 at Macc, not sure when, when they thought it would be an easy 3 points and Dean Pritchard scored twice, oh what joy.

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »

I'll Start

worst : (away) Mansfield Fa cup Novemeber 2009, lost 3-0 with the sendings off, the ridiculous scoreboard ect... horrible town i could go on

Best : (home) Gatehead - err tuesday night game we won 3-2, getting beat scored 2 times, with a penalty in the dying seconds to win it :)

Exactly the same as mine! Beating Barrow 3-0 away was also a great memory.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 05:31:30 PM »

Best : 1978 Trophy final when we mullered Leatherhead; the 1-1 draw at Everton when John Hughes beat their offside trap like a true pro; the first time we drew at Spurs in 1979; the Chester FA Cup win when Clive Freeman hit his thunderbolt; the play-off final at Stoke; the win at Rotherham so soon after they'd taken us apart ! And less obviously, a 4-3 defeat at South Shields which was just a brilliant spectacle and a damn fine day out at a club whose fans were everything non league fans should be.

Worst : 1982 Trophy final when we never clocked on against Enfield; the 6-0 rout at Turf Moor which made me realise we were nowhere near as good a side as we thought we were; the 0-4 defeat to Rushden & Diamonds a couple of years back which made me break my resolution never to leave before the end; and the first attempt against Curzon this season which I believe was where we hit rock bottom.

Phil,

I can only endorse many of your nominations.

However, I do feel the need to point out that you've seemingly forgotten Barry Howard's goal at Turf Moor...!

Reading the selections of their favourite matches posted by the more recent Alty converts only emphasises just how fortunate/spoiled/privileged those of us who have supported the Robins since the early 1970s have been in comparison.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team