PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Weymouth latest....
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weymouth latest....  (Read 8013 times)

VofD

Re: Weymouth latest....
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »

Final score 9-0. Laughed my bollocks off.

not really funny though is it? they have played their youth team and got spanked but its debateable whether they will continue to do so til the end of the season
if theyre getting done 9-0 at home what would happen away against one of the good teams? 15? 20?
imagine if that were us. how would you feel?

Furious at the various Club Officials who had overseen such ludicrous financial mismanagement that had resulted in this farce.

I may appear unsympathetic but why should we feel sorry for them?

They effectively relegated us on the last day of the 2007/08 season (until Halifax's demise) with a team that they palpably couldn't afford. 

'Live The Dream' was their slogan during the Steve Claridge years.

Reality check.
The dream has become a nightmare now and they have to pay the consequences.

Cult,
           SPOT ON.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »

I can sympathise with the fans however.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

point being that all the shysters and charlatans have walked away leaving a club that consists of fans who are suffering and some kids who are getting stuffed on the pitch
personally i think the whole thing is sad, not funny....

will the authorities let this go on til the end of the season? cricket scores every week?

baldrick

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »

The same thing happened to Lancaster City a few years ago. They survived at a lower level and are slowly rebuilding. Weymouth will return.

York Alty

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »

If it was a horse they'd have shot it weeks ago.

There IS a safety issue here, in that they do not have adequate insurance.  Fair do's to the U18s, and so long as they know and appreciate all the risks involved and the insurance uncertainties then fine go ahead and play.

Though I think claridge is a numpty (and a man with numerous speeding convictions so a bloody idiot too) he's not truly to blame for the financial mess.

Good luck, turn the lights off on the way out please.

York Alty

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 12:15:28 AM »

on a day like Weymouth had today it seems as if the fans and the stewards had a fall out over a blow up shark.  WE NEED THE FULL STORY.

have a look at the photos on the official site, do you get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach looking at some of those boys.  The shot of the teams coming out the tunnel sums it up. dreadful.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 12:18:11 AM »

point being that all the shysters and charlatans have walked away leaving a club that consists of fans who are suffering and some kids who are getting stuffed on the pitch
personally i think the whole thing is sad, not funny....

will the authorities let this go on til the end of the season? cricket scores every week?

jim,

Well, as someone who recalls some fascinating matches against Weymouth during the early years of the Alliance Premier League, I can assure you that I'm certainly not laughing at their predicament but there has to be accountability for their actions and this self-inflicted malaise.

Yes, there will be some genuine Weymouth diehards who are suffering but you can be assured that there has also been a reasonable percentage of their fans who have happily supported the various shysters and charlatans who have overspent their way to this debacle.

After all, some people at Alty thought that Gerry Berman was doing a great job when we were obviously living beyond our means during the late 1990s and we all know how that scenario panned out.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »

WHY?

WHY?

Seriously, why? Their fans colluded in this whole farece over the past 5 years and took great delight in our apparent demise last April. See Cults post above.

The first thing anybody says is 'feel sorry for their fans' but if you think about it they deserve no sympathy. At all.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »

Crisis club Weymouth - who saw their youth team beaten 9-0 by Rushden & Diamonds in the Blue Square Premier on Saturday after their unpaid first-team squad refused to play because they were not properly insured - look likely to go into administration. (The Non-League Paper)

NO SYMPATHY
On a day when Weymouth fielded a youth team which lost 0-9 at home to Rushden, in his programme notes Graham Heathcote wrote:
"The discussion re other clubs' finances and predicaments carries on and I can't help but think back to our last game game of last season at Weymouth. We needed a win to survive and clearly the side they were able to put out should not have been there because, if you don'y pay your tax and NI plus other creditors, then clearly you can't afford the players you are putting on the pitch and that is wrong. Whilst their problems have come to a head this season, clearly last season must have had a major impact on the situation. But who would have spared a thought for the team or teams that got relegated doing things right? Answer, no one. We're all supposed to feel sorry for the club in trouble. Well, not me. It is a form of cheating which is why the Conference is right to try and act. I hope they are successful. For too long, too many clubs have been allowed to get away with financial mis-management to the detriment of other innocent clubs and I've no doubt many a manager has built himself over the years an unjust reputation for being successful, when, in fact, he should not have had the calibre of player out on the park because they couldn't afford them".

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:15:00 PM by Jennifers Dad »

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

WHY?

WHY?

Seriously, why? Their fans colluded in this whole farece over the past 5 years and took great delight in our apparent demise last April. See Cults post above.

The first thing anybody says is 'feel sorry for their fans' but if you think about it they deserve no sympathy. At all.

We should sympathise because it not many years since our club was in a similar situation. Also you only have to look back through the posts to this forum in January to see that we have fans who wanted us to spend money we didn't have on players and who, by implication, put immediate success on the pitch ahead of long term stability.

We should be grateful that we are in a position to take pride in the way our club is run as well as the way the team play (mostly) and the way our fans behave (mostly). 

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »

cult - fair comment. i was only reacting to the previous post of "Final score 9-0. Laughed my bollocks off" and trying to make the point that its not funny

also, in the berman days whether or not you agreed with what was going on you had no choice in what was happening

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »

I agree with GH ... Simple as.

And I agree with Ballers, "We'll never play you again' and 'Going down' were sung by Weymouth with a few wanting to come round and tell us their views up close and personal.

Its cheating, without paying more than they could they wouldn't be in the Conference. I lost all respect for Weymouth on the final day of the season.

The sooner going into Admin is an instant relegation (minimum) no matter where you finish in the league the better.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:34:55 PM by gazwarrington »

markecky

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »

And I agree with Ballers, "We'll never play you again' and 'Going down' were sung by Weymouth with a few wanting to come round and tell us their views up close and personal.

Its cheating, without paying more than they could they wouldn't be in the Conference. I lost all respect for Weymouth on the final day of the season.

The sooner going into Admin is an instant relegation (minimum) no matter where you finish in the league the better.

I am with Gary.  There are certain things that you don't do. 

Baiting opposition fans whom you have no rivalry with about sending them down is bad form.  Understand it from Vics/Macc etc and I have said before I don't subscribe to the "all hold hands and skip in the lovely non league world scenario" when it comes to rivals.  Weymouth could have enjoyed their football without all that.

Therefore don't expect me to weep for a club who signed Lee Phillips two months ago.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

It was sad to see Wemouth's youth team fed to the Lions.
However the people that deserve sympathy are the players and everyone else that Weymouth have not paid.
I dare anyone on this Forum to tell me that they would not feel bitter if they didnt receive their wages from their employer or for goods/services that they had provided.
The route of all these problems is the culture of making money at someone elses expense - which includes Bankers and Directors that make financial gain while their own staff and clients lose out. A pure case of Capitalism gone wrong and abused.
It is morally very wrong that the likes of Beaconet are liqidated yet its owner is not delcared bankrupt and still has money to spend.
As for Vics fans they deserve no sympathy at all. The were right up Connets A*** when things didnt look so bleak. And quite happy to celebrate their escape from relegation last season whether of not they had the finances to do so. The best player and Captain Vics ever had, and in the best team they ever had was Johnny King. And look how the two faced morons also turned on him when he left for a better club.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »

In fairness I've always had a resentment of Kidderminster when their fans did similar at ML many moons ago - especially after the warm and generous welcome we gave them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Weymouth latest....