PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sale and Altrincham Advertiser
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sale and Altrincham Advertiser  (Read 4319 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »

Not even a mention in this weeks paper but Trafford do
@AltyDaz

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Sale and Altrincham Advertiser
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

On first thoughts I'm not that bothered. Social media and the internet is the way forward promoting this club and attracting fans.

Poor from the advertiser in any case though.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »

Was the same last week out of order

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:26 PM »

Since it's a sister paper to the hilariously inaccurate Manchester Evening News, and is published near Oldham, we shouldn't be surprised by any of this. In a way, it's a relief that they ignore us, since anything they DO print will be strewn with errors.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »

can I just use this as a great opportunity to advise jennifers dad that the best use for the advertiser is under the cat litter tray.....top tip  ;D ;D

JDN

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »

Or for wack em

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »

Joking aside I am sure we would all prefer to see us on the back pages with a big photo like we use to have.

Is there any reason we don't, do we send in reports, do we have a reported come to the game, is it the club doesn't have time or that the paper doesn't like us?

Would be interesting to know what the actual reason is.

bumble

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »

Back page of Sale and Altrincham Messenger features 2 match reports and a summary so far

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »

Yep, always found the messenger to be quite a decent read for a local paper, especially for Alty but that's probably because John Laidlar and Brian Flynn are writing the articles (in this week's edition anyway)

Hulme Robin

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »

I was going to raise this issue as well. The back page has a huge article on Lancashire county cricket club - Since when has Altrincham and Sale been in Lancashire?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »

time for us to contact them

bighairedmike

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »

Jenga

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »

Back page of Sale and Altrincham Messenger features 2 match reports and a summary so far

Ah right so the Advertiser is different to the Messenger. Where I live we just don't get the free papers and have not had them for years. We occasionally get the Advertiser but I bin it. Cant remember the last messenger, that is why I thought it was one of the same papers.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »

Could I just take a moment to try and explain how things work with the local papers and how we might be able to improve matters with the Advertiser? In an ideal world, every paper would have adequate staffing levels to be able to cover all key events and organisations within their catchment area, but unfortunately, in these times of financial restraints, that isn't always possible. For instance, when Connor Murphy left the S&A Messenger, the feedback we received was that they wouldn't be replacing him. Given he was their only sports journalist, and their few news reporters were busy filling pages at the front end of the paper, there was clearly a real danger that the flow of Alty news, information and manager's quotes would diminish significantly. With that in mind, after discussing it with my co-press officer Brian Flynn, I volunteered to provide a weekly article for inclusion on the back page. It is usually quotes-led, often including details of events or developments at the club, and it is invariably the lead article on the back, with a match report by John Laidlar running alongside. If I am away for any reason, such as being on holiday for the past two weeks, Brian steps in and ensures continuity is maintained. Even during the summer months, there is, almost without exception, an Alty story in the paper. I hope most people would agree that, in addition to the club's official website, this is a useful platform for keeping supporters informed of all Alty-related matters. As for the Advertiser, when they launched in the area, it did appear they intended having their own dedicated Alty reporter, as they sent a staff sports writer to the press conference we arranged for Lee Sinnott's appointment and seemed content to generate their own reports about matches, team news, etc.
It is unfortunate if this has tailed off, but I'm sure it can be remedied. I will speak to Brian, and, between us, we will contact the Advertiser's head of sport and see what can be done. If need be, I am prepared to let them have a version of the article I file to the Messenger. There are usually more than enough quotes from interviewing Lee to cater for two papers! Raising our profile in the MEN may not be quite so straightforward. The perception there seems to be that Stockport County, with their recent League history, and FCUM, as an offshoot of United, are above us in the pecking order for column inches, though Brian and I will endeavour to push Alty stories and ideas their way as much as possible. Sorry to go on so long, but, in view of some of the posts here, I thought it might help to provide at least some insight into how we try and obtain coverage and publicity for our club.

bumble

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »

Im sure Sale Grammar pupils used to do rugby reports in local papers

Theres thousands of journalist students at universities up and down the country looking for placements - Free papers should give them a chance to do reports on local sports teams
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team