PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lewes apply for demotion
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lewes apply for demotion  (Read 6906 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Lewes apply for demotion
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »

Didn't Canvey's resignation land them in the Essex League ???      Cold ground, with an interesting view as the container ships crept past one end of the ground. Decent burgers though (toasted the buns, nice touch ;)).

Rymans League North - equivalent of the Unibond North - from which they gained promotion through the play-offs last season. They are now in the top half of the Rymans Premier (just outside the play-offs). Their crowds are in the 300's which, when you take away the away support they would have had in the BSP is not a lot less really. They're just at a level where they can pay their way on what they earn.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »

By the way, according to the Lewes site, the application for demotion is merely an internet rumour!

(not that they're likely to finish outside the bottom four anyway!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

gunners11

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »

yeah i am having a dig  because lewes is a small club like i said leave lewes alone. if alty were at the bottom you will saying manager out manager sh*t get rid  but it is alright to pick on other teams like lewes. what happenings if droylsden or southport get up will you pick on them .i suggest watch what you are saying please.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »

yeah i am having a dig  because lewes is a small club like i said leave lewes alone. if alty were at the bottom you will saying manager out manager sh*t get rid  but it is alright to pick on other teams like lewes. what happenings if droylsden or southport get up will you pick on them .i suggest watch what you are saying please.

To put this mildly, I'm not sure what you mean here!  ???

cheeky trucker

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »

Reading back the posts so far can't see that anyone has particularly had a dig and no one has made fun of their current situation.

Lewes sit bottom of the league, and are currently winless, and if that form continues they will be relegated; undeniable facts. There is great dissatisfaction coming from their own fan base about the quality of player brought in, the way they are playing and the tactics used by the manager. It's well documented that Lewes fans appear pessimistic about their short and long term future. Someone has posted saying that they have applied for demotion, maliciously or otherwise, which in turn has been posted on various websites. These things are all down in black and white and therefore are bound to draw comment, particularly on forums discussing non-league football.

Personally I wish Lewes well and hope their fortunes improve, but the fact is things don't look good at the moment.

fuertes

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

Their crowds are in the 300's which, when you take away the away support they would have had in the BSP is not a lot less really. They're just at a level where they can pay their way on what they earn.

But why did they voluntarily drop down the leagues? Couldn't they have simply offered players what they could afford, accept that the quality of player that would attract would most likely get them relegated, but at least try to stay up? They might've got jammy, drawn a side two divs below them in FAQR4 then drawn a big payday tie in the next round to keep them going at that level for three years.

I'd be gutted if I supported a team that actually didn't want to get promoted.

Alex

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »

it's all about what you as a club can afford to do. lewes just don't have the financial income to support BSP football, now i will give them all the respect they are due as they are here on merit. however i think this was a step too far for there finances, i hope they can find a way of solving this problem without resorting to demotion to the ryman leagues.

gunners11

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 03:13:46 PM »

sorry lads i will look up lewes on the internet

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »

sorry lads i will look up lewes on the internet

Thing is gunners11 whats your opinion on the whole avocado fruit / nut debate?
Bernard Taylors barmy army

gunners11

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »

what nut debate avacado thing

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »

what nut debate avacado thing

Dus u no's the stretford squirrels ? they are massiv innit

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »

Their crowds are in the 300's which, when you take away the away support they would have had in the BSP is not a lot less really. They're just at a level where they can pay their way on what they earn.

But why did they voluntarily drop down the leagues? Couldn't they have simply offered players what they could afford, accept that the quality of player that would attract would most likely get them relegated, but at least try to stay up? They might've got jammy, drawn a side two divs below them in FAQR4 then drawn a big payday tie in the next round to keep them going at that level for three years.

Didn't their manager King own them and said he wasn't going to bankroll them no more, they were getting crowds of 3/400 and he had had enough. Think he thought it best they 'start again' lower down...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »

Didn't their manager King own them and said he wasn't going to bankroll them no more, they were getting crowds of 3/400 and he had had enough. Think he thought it best they 'start again' lower down...

That, and the fact that he saw the chance to get his feet under the table at Chelmsford with four figure gates in the Rymans Premier. They're in the Conf South now and look a good bet to be in the BSP in the not-too-distant future. It's much more of a going concern in his eyes.

Cynical perhaps, but realistic. Another good point is that the Canvey fans didn't blame him much. They were happy to have had the ride as far as I could see.One of my ex-workmate's sons played for them in the BSP. We met up on a couple of occasions at games and the departure of King was on the cards and accepted for quite some time before it happened.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lewes apply for demotion