PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lewes apply for demotion
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lewes apply for demotion  (Read 6905 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Lewes apply for demotion
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »

Rumour on the "LEWIS!!!" forum that they have asked to be demoted at the end of the season, regardless of league postion,and will take a place in the Ryman Premier league next term,if its true thats one down three to go.Not that they've any chance of finishing outside the bottom four anyway!

fuertes

Re: Lewes apply for demotion
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »

They might as well fold if they seek relegation. What's the point having a football club that actively avoids success? Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »

They might as well fold if they seek relegation. What's the point having a football club that actively avoids success? Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Northwich and Macc have been doing it for years  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:05:30 AM »

Not being funny but they must have known this might happen when they won the league last season? If so they should never have been allowed up in the first place. It makes a mockery of the other teams who were vying for promotion last season.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »

This would be a completely bizarre situation....why announce this mid seaqson...why not simply get relegated and then apply for the ryman.....why apply for ryman and not go into the BSS?
It is possible the ground gradings may be the issue in which case either let the football authorities place you or just spend a year in the BSS and get kicked out of that at the end or get relegated on a tiny budget giving them a head start for their year in the Ryman.

The only reason they'd do this now is they know they're gonna get booted out of the conference system for ground grading reasons and are making sure they will play in as high a league as possible as opposed to being thrown into ryamn div 2 for example.

But in such cases the club normally just drops down the level below the conference surely?

It certainly opens the door for the AGM cup...that's if they hold one this year given the problems reported elsewhere....will we get to keep the cup for another year without so much as an appeal?

bigcol

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »

Yep that's 4 clubs (inc Oxford, Mansfield and Weymouth) all vying for the coverted prize.  However I think with Lewes' I think they are down no matter what - according to their site they have reduced their playing budget by 35% and it can't have been that high in the first place.

It's more exciting than the actual promotion/relegation battles.

thegazelle

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »

how funny would it be if they finish 21st and get a reprieve . its a bit like the you've got to haggle bit in the life of brian

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »

I think, and I've not checked on the Lewes forum or official sourcess that they need to do wrok on their ground to get it up to conference national standard by April. I think they may have realised that they're going down anyway so may as well not bother with doing so. Save money.

cheeky trucker

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »

Nothing substantiated on the Lewes forum as far as I can tell. Think it may well be a bit of a wind up. If it's true, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for the fans.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:19:49 PM »

Didn't Canvey do the same a few seasons ago?

Daycare Dan

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »

Didn't Canvey do the same a few seasons ago?

Yea, when their sugger daddy (King?) cleard off they applied for the Ryman league and resigned from the Conference.

It's all a bit silly this now, can we have a season where relegation is decided on the pitch for a change?

cheeky trucker

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »

Didn't Canvey's resignation land them in the Essex League ???      Cold ground, with an interesting view as the container ships crept past one end of the ground. Decent burgers though (toasted the buns, nice touch ;)).

bigcol

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »

Decent burgers though (toasted the buns, nice touch ;)).

If there's an award for sentence of 2008 on the forum, I'd plum for this.

gunners11

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:12 AM »

lewes r a small club possible smaller than alty so why are you lot having  adig it would be differrent if alty were stuck at the bottom you should give lewes a chance. you may never know they might finish 19th

chrisrufc

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »

Who is having adig ???
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lewes apply for demotion