Yes
- 27 (67.5%)
No
- 8 (20%)
Unsure
- 5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RESERVES  (Read 6637 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: RESERVES
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »

I have always dismissed full-time with the financial situation as it is - but maybe it is something to think about in the future. Young, fitter, in-experienced players may do a better job (?).
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »

I meant to add, if Histon can stay up (massive if), then who knows.

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »

Sorry
Problem with FT is not just the money and the need for all the daily extras etc, but also managing player expectations. It would probably never happen if all aspects worked out - it would be a huge gamble

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 04:27:59 PM »

For me having a reserve team is no different to putting out players on loan.

I think its not cost effective and loaning players out is a way of getting them properly match fit. Nothing better than playing in 'proper' matches and keeping expenses down?

Its not just the funding (somewhere to play, transport, etc) but the time taken to put another club in a league... Boring stuff like registrations to washing the kit and even fulfilling fixtures?, I understand why a reserve team would be beneficial but I don't think its a necessity at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:32:24 PM by gazwarrington »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »

I agree that getting first team players fit can be achieved just as effectively by loaning them out to other clubs. Undoubtedly, the better level of football would be beneficial also.

However, as a means of progressing our own youth team players through to the senior ranks, there is no substitute for a reserve team.
Come on Alty!

Butty

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »

I think its not cost effective and loaning players out is a way of getting them properly match fit. Nothing better than playing in 'proper' matches and keeping expenses down?

Its not just the funding (somewhere to play, transport, etc) but the time taken to put another club in a league... Boring stuff like registrations to washing the kit and even fulfilling fixtures?, I understand why a reserve team would be beneficial but I don't think its a necessity at the moment.

In fairness, most players do drive and there will be enough spaces for lifts, couldnt that players take their own kits and wash them themselves? If many Sunday League teams can do this, why can't we?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »

Cos we are a semi pro football club and trying to attract the best semi pro players. I hardly think it looks good if you then ask them to do that when they come back form injury ?

How would you like it if you're work said you had to do a worse job for a few weeks and pay your own expenses travelling around the North West to do it ?

Yeah we would all do it cos we love Alty but this is just their jobs and I would not expect them to do it, would be nice if they did but I can't see it washing (no pun intended) very well.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »

The issue with loaning players out Gary, similar to that of 'placing' Youth team graduates is that the Clubs where we would send them are invariably, like us part time, probably training on the same nights as us and playing their midweek games on the same night as us as well.

So you have your player going to, for example, Ashton Utd. If he's going to play for them he has to train with them so he's not training with us, doesn't know the set pieces etc. Most footballers want to play I believe so surely the temptation, if you are say Sam Hewson and not getting a game at Moss Lane must eventually be to stay with the club who are playing you and with whom you are training. Also, the recipient club may (as may the player to be honest) use a player when they are not 100% fit, use them for longer than we would want them to when a player is coming back etc.

Sorry to labour a point but IMHO a Reserve team is imperative to increase the possibility of us keeping some of our better youth team players and also to allow our injured or unselected players to come back in a way which we control

Butty

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »

Cos we are a semi pro football club and trying to attract the best semi pro players. I hardly think it looks good if you then ask them to do that when they come back form injury ?

How would you like it if you're work said you had to do a worse job for a few weeks and pay your own expenses travelling around the North West to do it ?

Yeah we would all do it cos we love Alty but this is just their jobs and I would not expect them to do it, would be nice if they did but I can't see it washing (no pun intended) very well.
The point about the whole of the North West depends on the league they play in- however, if I loved playing the game that much, I would be willing to drive to Dover off my own back to play, never mind the Wirral (for example)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 05:34:45 PM »

Well just my opinions on the subject. I think it would be good to have a reserve team but at the moment I would want all money going into the first team and improving and more importantly sustaining that.

timbo13

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »

Bumped this topic in light of Ken's comments in the NLP. Interesting to see him specifically mention the lack of a reserve team. Does he have a plan for next season to bridge the gap between Youth and Senior teams?

With Runcorn coming up, are we likely to call on any of the Youth squad or do other factors (an away game, the money from getting through to the next round, a desire to ensure the First team get some much-needed match practice in) mean we'll be fielding a full or close to full strength squad?

taxi Phil

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

Those of us who met Ken the other week were left in no doubt about how much he would like a reserve team. The problem is, of course, simply the constant lack of finance.

roytonmike

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »

With Runcorn coming up, are we likely to call on any of the Youth squad or do other factors (an away game, the money from getting through to the next round, a desire to ensure the First team get some much-needed match practice in) mean we'll be fielding a full or close to full strength squad?
Being two days after we go to Mansfield and three days before a trip to Rushden & Diamonds the team at Runcorn will be very much a second string.
As regards a reserve team - I am one of those who see the logic of having such but only if the financial situation makes it possible.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 RESERVES