PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Saturday and defending corners
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Team for Saturday and defending corners  (Read 6180 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: November 05, 2015, 12:35:17 AM »

Rankine and Densmore are out , both will be hugely missed. I would have started Rankine up front alone.

Clee will be a last minute decision but if there is any chance he can play then put him straight in there.

Tactically I feel we will need three in midfield but that may depend on the fitness of wide players like Clee and Crowther.

A concern I have is bringing all players back for corners against a higher level opposition. I hate the tactic and after watching it closely this season I would say it allows most opposition one or two extra crosses into the box or even shots outside the box, we just clear our lines straight back to them.

Against Chester I saw one corner lead to 4 crosses into the box. You could argue the fact we do not concede that often from this tactic but we will come undone with it soon. Just invites intense pressure in our box, crazy tactic in my opinion and that is a concern for Saturday.

Team I would go for depending on fitness and current injuries would be :-

Deasy

Sinnott RB                 Havern CB                  Leather Cb                         Griffin LB
                                                                        Moult DM
                                                                        Richman CM

Lawrie  AM
                            Crowther  RF                                                                             Clee (LF)
                                                                         Reeves CF

Depending on fitness and I would debate whether Crowther and Lawrie have it in their tank to work back and not to give away silly free kicks. I thought O’Keefe had an excellent game against Chester but still not my cup of tea. Lawrie is a big game player but we need him up for it, trying to win the ball rather than being more interested in committing a foul. We have a big chance, it is eleven v eleven. Just get at the them from the off, I am a strong believer if you start strong and positive in attacking play against teams in the early stages it rattles them and this could be our chance for an early goal. Don’t give them any respect.  Come on boys, have the belief, I can't sleep and it is only Wed night.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Team for Saturday and defending corners
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »

I'd like to see us leave somebody up on corners also, maybe a crowther or someone with pace, it's such an outlet and takes the eye of a couple of opposition players. As for the team, we can only wait and see who's fit. We've no conclusive answer on rankine and clee, much like we don't know the state of play with hourihane and Watkins for Barnsley, two of their best players who've been missing in recent weeks but looking at press reports may well be back this Saturday.

......................Deasey
Sinnott...Havern....Leather....Griffin
Crowther...Moult...Richman.....Clee
.......................Lawrie
......................Reeves

Subject to change on more personal being fit

brian1925

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »

In the absence of several first teamers, I agree with that last team. I do think we'll get dicked down our right side if they have a half decent left winger though. A bit harsh on the improving O'Keefe, but if we are to stand any chance at all, we'll need both Clee and Crowther providing some sort of ammunition for Reevesy.

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »

If there's any doubt as to Nicky's fitness,  we'd be better using him as an impact sub.

roytonmike

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

If there's any doubt as to Nicky's fitness,  we'd be better using him as an impact sub.
I think there's always going to be a doubt about his fitness from now on - if his availability for Saturday depends on his reaction to an injection or injections, as seems to be the case, I would think the best we can hope for is a place on the bench for him. I would favour leaving out Bowerman & starting Deasy; Sinnott, Havern. Leather, Griffin; Richman, Moult, O'Keefe, Crowther; Lawrie; Reeves with the bench (which I believe can number up to 7) formed of Bowerman, Clee (if available), Heathcote, the standby keeper & the youths/reserves (Davis, Swift, Stouppis). As regards defending corners, I too think we need an outlet, but the policy of 'everybody back' appears set in stone.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »

We won't be leaving any players upfield while zonal marking is being used.

Can't see Clee being used as anything but a sub. 

Think we're going to need Moult,  Richman and O'Keefe in the middle no matter what
Full time and proud of it

Sheffield_Alty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:18 PM »

..................Deasy........
Sinnott...Havern.....Leather.....Griffin
...Richman.....Moult...O'keefe
Crowther.............................Clee
..................Reeves.......................

A christmas tree formation, 4-3-2-1, gives us the crucial legs we'll need in the centre (protecting the back 4) & gives Ryan and Nicky chance to get out wide & feed Reevesy
Richman is a massive player to have in this game his legs and tracking shouldn't be underestimated., if Nicky not fit, replace him with Bowerman/Lawrie.

VofD

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »

I think there's always going to be a doubt about his fitness from now on - if his availability for Saturday depends on his reaction to an injection or injections, as seems to be the case, I would think the best we can hope for is a place on the bench for him. I would favour leaving out Bowerman & starting Deasy; Sinnott, Havern. Leather, Griffin; Richman, Moult, O'Keefe, Crowther; Lawrie; Reeves with the bench (which I believe can number up to 7) formed of Bowerman, Clee (if available), Heathcote, the standby keeper & the youths/reserves (Davis, Swift, Stouppis). As regards defending corners, I too think we need an outlet, but the policy of 'everybody back' appears set in stone.

Even when playing against 10 men for part of the Torquay match last week. ??? ??? ???

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »

Even though I agree on corners we should not do anything different at this late stage, this is not a game to experiment with
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 03:16:56 PM »

For me Clee shouldn't be included in the squad until 100% fit. The temptation to bring him on from the bench, even as impact, could lead to him being out for longer (ala Densmore), and given his situation so far this season, I think we just need to get him fully up to speed before he kicks a ball in anger.

The only unfortunate thing is it will probably mean putting a square peg in a round hole on the wing, either Lawrie or Richman there.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Jimmy

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »

Surely if clee is out which he will be you play crowther on the left as he plays there anyway

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »

..................Deasy........
Sinnott...Havern.....Leather.....Griffin
...Richman.....Moult...O'keefe
Crowther.............................Clee
..................Reeves.......................

A christmas tree formation, 4-3-2-1, gives us the crucial legs we'll need in the centre (protecting the back 4) & gives Ryan and Nicky chance to get out wide & feed Reevesy
Richman is a massive player to have in this game his legs and tracking shouldn't be underestimated., if Nicky not fit, replace him with Bowerman/Lawrie.

I agree with this formation but I can see lawrie in for clee
FFS

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »

Lawrie is very inconsistent but Alty haven't got players good enough for him to not play

Sheffield_Alty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »

Lawrie is ridiculously inconsistent, bordering on erratic but hopefully this is the type of game he'll flourish

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »

We have a big chance, it is eleven v eleven.

Full marks for that classic FA Cup cliché...!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team