PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Whose in this picture
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whose in this picture  (Read 6202 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Whose in this picture
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »

I am somewhere (Not the reflection of my id badge). I have all ways liked this picture which is in the corridoor to the club offices.

@AltyDaz

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Whose in this picture
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »

They must have been truly special times!

What I would give to see Alty become a force like that once again......
Come on Alty!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:25:44 PM »

Darren, that is a superb picture, one I've never seen before. It's the Sunday party after Wembley 78 I'm sure, and I was there but how the world has changed. Look at the clothes, the bus, and the copper in a long mac. Was it really another world away?

That afternoon was a great finale to probably my best ever Alty weekend, sadly spoiled a little once the club opened the doors and the supporters filled the ground however it got a bit excitable and the full lap of honour wasn't fulfilled.

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Kingys Beard

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:44:32 PM »

I was just up Moss Lane with my dad.  I don't remember the weather being as cold as it looks - judging by the coats people have on.  Probably still glowing from the previous day's events.  I recall John King parading the Trophy around with a sort of half scarf/half hat on inside the ground, and, most remarkable of all, a completely beatific Brian Sweeney saying "Isn't this marvellous?"  And it was.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:14 PM »

I hope this is an omen. Our players well on top - and that's a Southport  Corporation bus !

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Whose on this picture?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »

I can't see it on my phone but from people's comments i know which one it is as i've seen it many times before. I can think of at least one person on it. The director chap leading Kingy out is one Gerry Berman I believe?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »

Gerry Berman is the one wearing the black coat and white scarf who is standing above the word 'Bitter' in the advertisement on the side of the bus.

Halcyon days.

Notwithstanding the hangovers, we even beat Runcorn 2-0 at Moss Lane on the following night.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 06:22:54 AM »

Sw. There is also a picture of inside the ground as you mentioned. I did take a picture of it but it wasn't as good as the first one. I will try again later.
@AltyDaz

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Whose on this picture?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »

Ah, as i said can't see it on my phone and thought we were talking about the one inside the ground which darren will put up later.

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »

I'm somewhere there....usually I look for my dad's white distinctive ring of hair which he sported even then but i cannot see it on this....a superb day...can remember shaking Tony sanders hand...shaking being the operative word...

thegazelle

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:40:20 PM »

it might be my imagination but i think that behind the policeman at the front of the bus on the groundside you can see a sylth like Gazelle attired in the 9 altrincham shirt that i begged off jeff johnson at training on the thursday before the game.( If thats not me i was somewhere near there). how ahead of the times was i wearing a replica kit. Bizarrely i got carried away during the victory parade and gave jeff the shirt back . oh how i would love to have that as a peace of memorabilia and oh how i would love to be able to fit in it again.
It was an incredible weekend memories of which are much drink addled,

didnt we also play hyde the week after, i recall being in awe as i was invited to join the legendary george heslop bobble cap crew for the trip on the manchester glossop hadfield line . (9 a rare treat as they had tommies, class76 locos?? on this line)

Do we go over the events of the big day once again or do the younger members get fed up with our old mens tales.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:00:56 PM by thegazelle »

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »

We played Hyde on the Tuesday after Runcorn on the Monday.  it was our last ever game in the north west floodlight league - we were due to play winsford as well but never got round to it.

that was my fourth trip to hyde that season - the other three games were postponed and no-one bothered to tell me.  So I had endured the long walk from Denton for Hyde station to Ewen Fields and back a number of times...

I couldn't understand (at the time) why we were not taking the hyde match at least as seriously as the Leatherhead one...

thegazelle

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »

surely you get off at newton for ewen fields

RocketDan

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

I'm really surprised nobody at the club has taken these out of the frames and scanned them in so they can be put on the website to give us youngsters a bit of inspiration.

RocketDan

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »

I hope this is an omen. Our players well on top - and that's a Southport  Corporation bus !

lets hope the bus doesn't get parked.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Whose in this picture