PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York City away in the League
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: York City away in the League  (Read 6941 times)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: York City away in the League
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 10:47:46 PM »

With other results going our way too, I think we can now look upward and maybe sneak a playoff spot,.. would need to win 7 of the last 9 games so pretty unlikely I know.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2023, 10:49:43 PM »

We’ll have played better then that & not won this season, but under the circumstances to follow up Saturday against a team who clearly targeted tonight with another win is superb. I thought we coasted through it for long periods against a limited York side & did what we had too.

In a strange way the most pleasing thing was that was what I would call a proper Conference display & what a Boreham Wood or a Bromley have done to us at Moss Lane a few times we did to York. Whether it was Byrne wasting time, Hugill winning soft free kicks or Lundstram sending their fans into an absolute fume by going down injured we just wound the clock down, did all the tricks & then won it on s set piece. Displays like tonight you see our maturity as a squad at this level growing.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2023, 11:53:35 PM »

To call that York side "limited" is practically a compliment. I thought we were below par, yet York were so desperately poor that I would have been bitterly disappointed not to have beaten them.

I've been very critical of Ollie Byrne's failure to command his box, but that was a vast improvement tonight.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2023, 08:28:07 AM »

Re: last two comments - I can't decide whether York were really poor (both fixtures) or whether we've just taken a leaf out of the Bromley/Borehamwood playbook - I suspect it's a bit of both, I do think the gamesmanship element has been the key difference between a Parky team and a Sinnott team - we were so soft back then.

Might not make for the best spectacle at times, but as long as we come home with the three points that's the main thing. As also previously commented, we do sit in too deep and invite sides on to us too much - and I do think the management team could do with making changes earlier on - and keep those changes positive too.

Full credit to Ollie Byrne - much maligned by some (myself included) but he's a good shot stopper and showed all his prowess last night. Eddy Jones is in really good form, but he knows he should have had two goals tonight! - really pleased for James Jones too, who also comes in for a bit of criticism at times.

It must have been the 92nd minute when I noticed the player pressing the furthest forward was the little fella wearing the number 4 shirt - he seems to have three lungs.

All in all, we're a work in progress and heading in the right direction. We're probably about as mid table as you can get, so at least that gives the management team a bit more licence to rotate around and try a few different things before next season - and keep everyone fresh for the trophy.

Hopefully Halifax will get sucked into the mix a little bit more before 1st April - York will definitely be feeling a bit anxious.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2023, 09:35:15 AM »

Agree with other comments, we have played far better than last night and lost, but we found the grit and determination to pull off the victory. Stream quality OK, commentary was poor. Rather have been there but not possible.

Ollie made some good saves, commanded his box better. Isaac put in a shift again, pleased Hugill got his goal and looked more settled than Saturday. J Jones really the new Peersy. Eddie should and could have had a brace. Great play. They reminded me of how we were at the beginning of the season, sort of Ok but fluffy. Hope they stay up as one of the more local teams.

Long trip to Eastleigh next. Then a few home games..
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York City away in the League