PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setanta  (Read 5110 times)

Ashley Alty

Setanta
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:46:46 AM »

My Exeter fan friends say that our match on 11th August may be switched if Setanta choose to show it, to a Thursday.  any thoughts?

They think that the fixutre list isn't fixed as Setanta will choose 2 matches per week to show on Thursday evenings - chaos or lucrative?

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Setanta
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »

chaos.

Ideas 4 Alty

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:04:06 AM »

Our attendances certainly wouldn't suffer much!

The thing is, part of non-league football's appeal is the fact that it kicks off reguarly on a Saturday at 3pm. If they start meddling about with it the consequences could be disastrous for our crowds.

teasybeaver

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:22:51 AM »

They have to cut that crap straight out. Why cant they show the games at 3pm on a saturday? theres no other live games on then, it makes more sense. midweek games could be moved to a thursday and at a push saturday games to a monday or altered kick off on saturday but this is no good for a part time club, they need to respect the roots of the conference.

In a few years more clubs will be part time as the financial bubble bursts for those living dangerously. This setanta things been ready to go tits up from the start. non-league football is about bein at the game not watchin it on telly!

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:37:38 AM »

Why cant they show the games at 3pm on a saturday?
FA... Wankers

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »

I don't think any live games are allowed to be shown at 3pm on a Saturday during the league season, whatever the level.   Daft I know.

You make a good point about the "roots of the Conference" and "non-league football".  The problem is that the Conference we're in is nothing like the one we were in from 79-00 - nor does it probably want to be seen that way anymore.  

If it wasn't full of ex-league clubs with their higher profiles and fan bases, I doubt Setanta would have been as keen to get involved in the first place...

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »

1. If Setanta choose to televise the game on a thursday it will be switched from a saturday. Er, well, yes obviously.

2. The rule that no games anywhere can be shown at 3pm on a saturday is to protect smaller clubs and is a good one. God knows how many people watch united on the dodgy scandinavian/arab channels instead of a smaller club as it is. If there were official games on tv then we'd be well and truly..

3. nb. the following does not apply to teams that make the FA money like the England team and everyone in the country has to rearrange their games no matter what the inconvenience to them. The Fa were amazed at the huge audience figures for the GErmany game that kicked of at 6.30 soo they decided to follow suit. WHy they don't have England games at 6pm on a saturday I'll never know.

teasybeaver

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »

2. The rule that no games anywhere can be shown at 3pm on a saturday is to protect smaller clubs and is a good one. God knows how many people watch united on the dodgy scandinavian/arab channels instead of a smaller club as it is. If there were official games on tv then we'd be well and truly..

This is a good point. Plus I cant see us having fixtures moved every week, even though saturday to thursday is a ridiculous move for a game, especially for exeter fans going to alty or vice-versa. We could easily lose a few grand from it, what money do we get from each game? is it worth it?

baldrick

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »

Sky are responsible for killing league football. I suspect Setanta will do the same to non league. Football should be watched live at a football stadium, not on a television screen.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 03:37:47 PM »

As someone who can very very rarely get to an Alty match, I will be grateful to be able to see 1 or  2 games.

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:49:46 PM »

I have installed Setanta this evening and the picture is a bit grainy to be honest.

Watched a bit of Lens v Lyon, could be quite a good channel for random and bizarre sporting events, I suppose the "Blue Square Premier" fits the bill in that respect!!!!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:02 PM »

I have installed Setanta this evening and the picture is a bit grainy to be honest.

Watched a bit of Lens v Lyon, could be quite a good channel for random and bizarre sporting events, I suppose the "Blue Square Premier" fits the bill in that respect!!!!

Im looking forward to the  bemused jocks reactions to watching Salisbury v Woking of a thursday night,over a pint of whiskey  live on the big screen in the heart attack arms and the fried mars bar tavern

bighairedmike

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 08:37:23 PM »

You can also get the Gaelic games. Lucky you... ::)

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 08:46:54 PM »

You can also get the Gaelic games. Lucky you... ::)

To be fair I am not a great fan of the Irish but I must admit I did use to enjoy Hurling and Gaelic Football when they used to show it Saturday mornings on Channel 4. It's pretty full on stuff, the fact they are prepared to smash each other in the face with sticks is reason enough for them to deserve my attention!

:D

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »

yeah - good games those two.  A few years ago a top Aussie Rules team went to Dublin to play a couple of games - one Aussie Rules the second Irish Rules.

The aussies kicked so much arse that the irish didn't fancy the second game!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta