News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A huge well done!

Author Topic: A huge well done!  (Read 3174 times)

Alty365

A huge well done!
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »

Where do I start?

A massive well done to GH and the players for putting in one of the most committed and accomplished performances I have seen from an alty side in a very long time. We set ourselves up positively from the outset and it was all spot on. I cannot single anyone out, that's how good we were.

The fans who went were small in number but made yourselves heard so well! A superb effort from EVERYONE!

You could see the players grow in confidence as the game went on and there was a spell in the second half where we looked certain to score a second. They were well and truly rattled and for all Gary Hill's complaints that Rushden were "poor" I felt we just out-battled them and didn't give them a chance to play.

Finally, a mention for Setanta. At the end Steve Bower mentioned that we would go above Oxford with a point and that it was incredible for Altrincham to be above a club of that "stature". For all their "stature" they are in the same division as us and they are there for a reason. The way they talked about us last night prior to the game you would think Rushden were two divisions higher than us - so patronising!

I think we just gave everyone a little reminder that we are not here to make up the numbers!

Once again, well done to everyone on a really good performance!

Come on Alty!!!!

Alex

Re: A huge well done!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:08:28 AM »

no let them think we are here to make up the numbers, that way when we beat 'em or get a draw like last night it makes it all the sweeter.

Narcissist

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »

In relation to the patronising tw@ts at setanta I would like to say well done to Brian Little. His comments were purely objective and respectful, he obviously learned a lesson at Moss Lane. I was well impressed on his knowledge of us and praise for Col (maybe they are cousins).

It was refreshing to not here somebody sounding gutted because all their lazy footballing clichés had gone out of the window when 'Little part-time' Altrincham didn't struggle and just hoof the ball upfield.

The rest of setanta were purely lazy in this respect.

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »

Their reaction after hearing our formation said it all really. Sort of along the lines of "What? Three up front? But you're Alty, you're supposed to defend in numbers and roll over easily!".

I think there was also a world record contender for the number of uses of the word "dogged" when describing Alty

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »

Their reaction after hearing our formation said it all really. Sort of along the lines of "What? Three up front? But you're Alty, you're supposed to defend in numbers and roll over easily!".

Well, let's be fair about this, they weren't the only ones thinking this. I was bloody amazed to hear GH talk about how we were going to approach the game. Would have never happened last season.

There has been a lot of criticism on here about GH of late (not least from me), but by that same token he must be applauded after a display like that. Let's hope we continue on in this vein as we have the players to trouble any opposition in this league. Sure we'll get beaten along the way, but it's got to beat 90 minutes of dour backs-to-the-wall defending without an attempt on goal.

That was a fantastic display by the lads last night (and GH) and I personally would have been very happy with that performance even if we had lost.

On a side not regarding the supposed condescending tones of Sultana's commentary team. We can't have it both ways. We've been banging on about being a part-time team in a full-time league, small spending power, etc, for the last few seasons (where we have been battling relegation each season). You can not then turn around and be surprised if other's are suprised at some of our results. How many of us truly expected that last night? How many of us truly expected Oxford to be where they are now?

Personally for me the Sultana crew can say whatever the hell they like as I'm glad of the opportunity to see the Alty live.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Longman

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »

Well, let's be fair about this, they weren't the only ones thinking this. I was bloody amazed to hear GH talk about how we were going to approach the game. Would have never happened last season.

There has been a lot of criticism on here about GH of late (not least from me), but by that same token he must be applauded after a display like that. Let's hope we continue on in this vein as we have the players to trouble any opposition in this league. Sure we'll get beaten along the way, but it's got to beat 90 minutes of dour backs-to-the-wall defending without an attempt on goal.

That was a fantastic display by the lads last night (and GH) and I personally would have been very happy with that performance even if we had lost.

On a side not regarding the supposed condescending tones of Sultana's commentary team. We can't have it both ways. We've been banging on about being a part-time team in a full-time league, small spending power, etc, for the last few seasons (where we have been battling relegation each season). You can not then turn around and be surprised if other's are suprised at some of our results. How many of us truly expected that last night? How many of us truly expected Oxford to be where they are now?

Personally for me the Sultana crew can say whatever the hell they like as I'm glad of the opportunity to see the Alty live.

Completely agree with this, personally I think some people are a little over sensitive.

Also WELL DONE to players, management and supporters last night!  We should go into the Ebbsfleet game full of confidence!

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »

The thing that gets me about the way Setanta talk about us is the blatant disregard for our history. Personally I could understand (although not agree with) commentators talking about 'little Histon'. But we've won this f**king division twice and hold the record for league scalps in the FA Cup! If Leeds ever get back to the Prem are people going to call them 'little Leeds' because they've had a few bad years?? Just ridiculous.

Longman

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

The thing that gets me about the way Setanta talk about us is the blatant disregard for our history. Personally I could understand (although not agree with) commentators talking about 'little Histon'. But we've won this f**king division twice and hold the record for league scalps in the FA Cup! If Leeds ever get back to the Prem are people going to call them 'little Leeds' because they've had a few bad years?? Just ridiculous.

This is a good point, however I feel it is probably because most people at Setanta had no interest whatsoever in the old conference (due to the fatc they've only been covering it for a couple of years), therefore don't realise our history etc.  Also because the league has changed so much in terms of all these full time teams with big stadiums we are invariably and somewhat understandably viewed as the little part time outfit amongst the full time big boys.

Alex

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 01:57:13 PM »

steve bower last season regularly mentioned that we won the league in it's first two years.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »

So every team should be talked about in terms of past achievements? Even if they are 20, 30, 80, 90 years ago? Where do you stop? More to the point how great would that be for the viewer if every team was mentioned in terms of their glorious past?

The year is 2008, Alty are a part-time team in a full-time league, we are a small team compared to many others in the league, we've never been in the league (yes, I know we should have been in a fair world) and we've struggled badly for seasons to cope at this level. Now tell me again why the things that the Sultana's come out with are so objectionable?

All that is needed is a little hardening of the skin and an ability to see things from another's perspective.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

fuertes

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

So every team should be talked about in terms of past achievements? Even if they are 20, 30, 80, 90 years ago? Where do you stop? More to the point how great would that be for the viewer if every team was mentioned in terms of their glorious past?

There are lots of factors to consider when assessing the size of a football club; ability of the current team, financial situation, fan base, history of achievements etc etc. I think that if the people at Setanta actually thought about all of those then they wouldn't continually bracket us as a 'small' team whose sole purpose is as relegation fodder.

It doesn't get me down or anything, it just makes me want to cringe when I hear such lazy pigeon-holing, especially when it relates to Alty.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »

There are lots of factors to consider when assessing the size of a football club; ability of the current team, financial situation, fan base, history of achievements etc etc. I think that if the people at Setanta actually thought about all of those then they wouldn't continually bracket us as a 'small' team whose sole purpose is as relegation fodder.

It doesn't get me down or anything, it just makes me want to cringe when I hear such lazy pigeon-holing, especially when it relates to Alty.

But by every one of those factors you have stated (with the exception of history...which is now well over twenty years ago) we ARE a small club.

You mentioned Leeds, but they are a whole different kettle of whippets. They have a huge fanbase and potentially huge investment.

I don't like it any more than you do. I started supporting Alty just as the Glory years were dawning and we were known as the Man Utd of Non League (a comparison many on here would also find objectionable), but those days are long gone. If you were looking at this league as an impartial betting man, we would be a relegation banker. So what? I'm perfectly happy for us to continue to 'surprise' people.

tottenham alty

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »

To return to the original topic - WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!

Would have loved to have been at the match but it was good to see Alty on TV - they honestly looked like a league side last night.

We played nice football, Elam's pass back and Col's finish were superb and we looked brilliant on the break as we have done most of this season to be fair

But also, the effort and application in the first half hour when the game was a bit scrappy was outstanding. It was after we won the little battles all over the pitch that we were able to exert some authority on the game.

I wouldn't like to single out anyone as every player played well - we deserved to win it of course.

WELL DONE THE LADS, WELL DONE GH, WELL DONE THE FANS THAT MADE IT DOWN!

COMON ALTY!!!!

PS. does anybody know what GH was saying at HT in the dressing room or on the sidelines? The TV had the volume turned down in the pub I was in  :(

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:57 PM »

Setanta didn't really listen in as such, but Graham certainly looked calmer than Gary Hill who was having a right hairdryer moment.

In terms of what Graham did say, it was interesting to hear him state that the tactics from the outset were as much about frustrating R&D and forcing them to play long ball stuff as it was to be attacking ourselves. I read this as being positive all over the pitch and be set up to take advantage of any counter attacking opportunities which resulted from starving them of good possession. This is what we precisely didn't do in the first half against Stevenage where we surrendered possession and territory too easily and were outnumbered further up the pitch anytime we got the ball ourselves.

The evidence of last night and the Mansfield game would suggest that GH has decided on the best system for the players to play - particulalrly with  Lee Elam now fit. That, coupled with the team spirit that was very evident last night gives me a lot of hope for the next few months.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A huge well done!