PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's dose of nostalgia
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Today's dose of nostalgia  (Read 9184 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today's dose of nostalgia
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »

Doesn't look like Moss Lane to me, our old fence was solid white posts with a red wooden rail above, that looks like one of those made of 2" pipe screwed together.  The back wall looks similar but not high enough, not Moss Lane I'd wager.

I loved that kit, red and white with the black pinstripe, that would have resolved some issues preseason I reckon.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »

Doesn't look like Moss Lane to me, our old fence was solid white posts with a red wooden rail above, that looks like one of those made of 2" pipe screwed together.  The back wall looks similar but not high enough, not Moss Lane I'd wager.

I loved that kit, red and white with the black pinstripe, that would have resolved some issues preseason I reckon.
Also Steve, didn't we used to have sort of a red wooden fence behind each goal?  Built in front of the barrier or in place of, I can't remember now, but I'm sure we did.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »

We did, you're right, close slatted red painted fencing.

That's somewhere else, where is the big question? Also, was'nt that kit with the black stripe an APL kit? So the grass bank would have been terraces?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »

The red and White width black pinstripe debuted in the 78-79 season, along with fanfare for the common man and Barry Howard!

Kingys Beard

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »

I think that photo was taken at Lancaster early on in 78/79.  Obviously early in the season 'cos the pitch looks good and Tommy Cavanagh only played the first handful of games that season before Ealesey came back.  Either that or a pre-season friendly?? 

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »

while we are on the subject I thought I'd re-post this link to the alty nostalgia slideshow together with fanfare.....shows mickey brooke in that blackburn game, some photos of the old ground and chequers terrace and many many more!!

http://www.myspace.com/video/altrincham-f-c/alty-nostalgia/6875560
Brilliant vids made me sad thinking about all o ur past glories though- any one who says they dont want any more is crackers !
Come on you red and white........

anglo alty

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »

can't believe tony sanders trousers mind you they were the height of fashion back then hard to believe we actually wore them i had a similar pair i am ashamed to say

thegazelle

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »

I reckon there is no way thats the chequers end, much steeper red fences.
If it was that lancastern match great night out from school camp at hawes with a maniac driving the mini bus. On entry phil hall got change for a twenty instead of a fiver and we got drunk inb caton on mitchell and Yates and Jacksons .
legendary night out AND WE WON 4-O

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »

It definitely is Moss Lane - the photo is taken from the Altrincham 1 Frickley 2 match report in the Altrincham Guardian and there is another photo (which I'll post later) from the same game that shows a bit more of the Chequers End.

taxi Phil

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 08:26:20 PM »

I reckon there is no way thats the chequers end, much steeper red fences.
If it was that lancastern match great night out from school camp at hawes with a maniac driving the mini bus. On entry phil hall got change for a twenty instead of a fiver and we got drunk inb caton on mitchell and Yates and Jacksons .
legendary night out AND WE WON 4-O
Yates & Jacksons RIP. The only bitter I've ever found that was almost as uncompromising as Holt's !

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »

The only chap on that photograph that I think I can identify is the one in the long overcoat on the right as you look at that image.

I believe that's Geoff Warburton, a former Alty player who later went on to act as a physio for the club in the 1980s.

Didn't he have a long association with Heyes Albion, too?

I'm certain that George Heslop will remember him well.

Geoff Warburton was the manager of Hayes Albion in the late 1960's early 1970's. I remember training with them when they used the pitch behind Parkfield on Wood Lane in Timperley. Frank Carrodus was there at the time so was Tony Spilsbury, though both were much older than me. I recall Geoff telling me that he once played for West Brom.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's dose of nostalgia