PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No disgrace.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No disgrace.  (Read 8050 times)

bumble

No disgrace.
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »

Thought we played quite well for large spells tonight. First goal scrappy from a corner, second was a brilliant ball and run and even better finish.

Could have been a different story if the disallowed goal had counted. Shouldn't have been disallowed.  Poor poor decision. Results elsewhere went our way though and we didn't disgrace ourselves in a game against the 2nd best side at this level.

As for Woking, whilst they have four top conference / lower football league strikers,  this is where the club should be looking to push over the next few years. Whilst I don't agree with everything Lee does (so many weird decisions) the philosophy that he and Neil have is akin to how Woking set up. They just have a bit more cutting edge than us.

The first half (bar us weathering the early storm) it have been hard to point who was playoffs and who was lower mid table. We passed and moved and Crowther got after them.

The second half, I'm not sure why we changed to 442 but it gave them.a bit more room in midfield, but we probably thought we could get more than a point.

Never gave in, kept passing.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: No disgrace.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »

Another top notch Alty night out. Although Woking probably never really got out of 3rd gear, I thought we matched them with the only difference being they had two chancesvanf scored twice!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »

Despite the defeat I'd say the recent strong performance level was maintained.

First 15-20 we were on the back foot but after that we bossed the first half and passed the ball very well. The disallowed goal looked very soft, we were bang in line with it and had a great view. Woking's GK comes out to punch the ball from our flighted free kick, misses it completely and it bounces into the net then the ref signals for a free kick, nominally against Marshall who was not in contact with him, soft.

Second half the early goal knocks the stuffing out of us a bit but we kept on, Gillespie directs a close range free header straight into the keeper before their second after which the game passes without much further incident.  

Overall a decent performance decided by the small details which understandably Woking are just that bit ahead of us on. Good vocal support for the lads too, not put off by the standard issue South East away 5th form chavs who spent the second half at our end attempting to wind us up rather than supporting their own lads at the other end. No Cardinal Gold in the bar anymore, minus points for that.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »

Easily the better team in the first half, don't see that many games living down here and with other stuff on, very impressed with Griffin and Crowther, Damian never stopped running, I thought that second half we had stepped down a gear and that lead to their early goal, the second came about as we let the ball get away cheaply. Overall we played well with decent ball movement that is attractive to watch, we didn't deserve to lose by two goals but sh*t happens, nice to get to an away night game for once in a blue moon. Talking of which, a Woking fan in a Man City coat was spotted, WTF? As for the schoolboy wind up mob, always happens there, tonight's lot were risible in their basic level, couldn't even see that they were being laughed at. The old boys behind us were funny too with their see better than you lino offside interpretations from behind the far goal back step.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »

Was very pleased with the performance, particularly in the first half: the pass and move was a joy to watch.  Thought Lawrie was a bit anonymous first half, and although Gillespie worked hard and played quite well his introduction was not additive overall.  The early goal in the second half forced us onto the front foot, but pushing more up front did allow Woking more space and consequently more possession.

Overall, a solid performance brimming with confidence and some lovely football to boot.  Onwards, upwards.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »

Interesting interview with Josh Payne on the Woking website.

The interviewer gets in Alty bingo with the usual 'No disrespect' line (this from a team scraping 1000 home fans when second in the league) but then even he admits our 'goal' should not have been disallowed. Their player also seems astonished that we pass the ball and play it on the deck. A full house of damned with faint praise I'd say.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »

Why the constant carping about the distance travelled on a weeknight both on club website and on Radio Robins? It's a national division. The fixtures can't be arranged so the part-time teams only travel on a Saturday.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »

Why the constant carping about the distance travelled on a weeknight both on club website and on Radio Robins? It's a national division. The fixtures can't be arranged so the part-time teams only travel on a Saturday.

Whilst it's something we have to put up and deal with in the national division, think it's always going to get a mention due to the fact it's a bit of an unwanted novelty.  In a couple of season I think the carping will reduce.  Still very unfair that we have 6 away on a Tuesday and 2 at home, part time or not.

Back to the game and echo what's been said above.

Result was a fair one but no lack of effort on our part and we played some nice stuff.  I didn't see a foul for our disallowed goal but overall Woking deserved the win.  Some of the quick feet and trickery of their players was superb and they have a damn good squad down there.  Great effort to have 50 at the game and good support.

They must be concerned at just over 1,000 home fans though even accounting for Tuesday crowds being lower.  The team they have put together deserve more than that.

An enjoyable night out despite the result.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »

Perhaps the difference in the number of home and away midweek games is carpworthy.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »

As is playing a team as far away as Woking in midweek when we've got two Saturday fixtures with, for instance, Halifax and Wrexham.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »

By the way loved the interview with Garry Richardson. It was like listening to proper radio! Reminded me of a Jonathan Agnew TMS lunchtime interview.

Red robin

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »

PLAYED SOME GOOD STUFF BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE US COMPETE A BIT BETTER AWAY FROM HOME. CROWTHER PLAYED WELL.

george

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »

Just compare Woking came to Moss Lane on a Saturday. On a Tuesday Altrincham team bus left Moss Lane @ 1.00 p.m & arrived as planned. However, going home we departed Woking 10.oo p.m. & arrived back @ Moss Lane @ 3.45 p.m., delayed by a car crash on the motor way. The joys of a part-time club. Keep our style of play & we will be back next year, tackling this league again. THE JOB CAN'T BE RUSHED.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

The journey would be exactly the same if Altrincham were a full-time club. Could a fixture list really be compiled where everyone's long distance games were at weekends, and only the most local games were held on Tuesdays? I bet Forest Green's journey to Halifax would be no less delightful had it been at the weekend.

Alex

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »

this may be an over simple way of looking at it, however i beleive the point people are making or trying to make is that were we a full time club the players could just easily take this morning off to catch up on sleep as i doubt many got home till 4-5 in the morning if the coach didnt get back to alty till 3:45am as george has said. where as as a part itme club they are reliant on there employers being nice enough to give them time off or even have had to use up a day or two (would have needed the afternoon off to travel) holiday which they may have prefered to use to take the family away rather than sleep off a late night trip back from woking.

i dont think it is realistic to expect the fixture computor to be able to take this into account however there should be some leway by the league to allow clubs to negotiate with each other before the fixtures are made public to move games around for transport reasons so as satated we would have wrexham and halifax away on tuesdays and woking would have swapped to the saturday vacated by one of those teams.

However it is a problem i like us having rather than being on here talking about games away at some back and beyond in the league below.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:15:28 PM by Garrincha »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No disgrace.