PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Which big FA cup games did you miss?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which big FA cup games did you miss?  (Read 4186 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Which big FA cup games did you miss?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »

People don't believe me either when I tell them but we had Spurs absolutely on the rack at that point. I'm sure if it had stood we'd have pegged it back to 2-2 regardless of what would have happened after. Gerry Francis knew it as well.

The brilliant thing is that it was a good Spurs side too. They weren't languishing at the bottom of the table, they were enjoying a good season with some very good players in their squad.

I agree, if Shaun Constable's goal had stood I believe we'd have got a second.
Come on Alty!

Narcissist

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »

Ignorance is bliss. I cherish those 10 seconds when we'd scored a blinder at WHL forever more.

Its still 3-1 in my eyes to this day.

seasonticket

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »

The thing that annoys me about that Spurs game is that we should have had a bye into the next round. It was the year Spurs were kicked out of the FA cup for some wrong doing or other. They were only reinstated in time for the third round draw. Jammy bar stewards.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »

We DID score a belter at White Hart Lane - when Jeff Johnson wheeled away, his arm aloft and I leapt to my feet at the tippy top of a high, steep stand, I thought my heart would burst with joy.  And all the Spurs fans who had been "well done you plucky non-leaguers, 1-0 is no disgrace" a minute before  were somewhat less generous all of a sudden.

Of all the 3rd round goals, this was easily my favourite:

John Hughes - I was in a state of disbelief: I couldn't believe we had scored.
Jeff Johnson (Spurs) - see above
Barry Whitbread - a brilliant goal against Orient, but if only he and Barry Howard hadn't got in each others way in front of the Golf Raod just after half time
Jeff Johnson (Orient) - too little too late - we'd played poorly in a match that reminded me massively of the 2-1 defeat at Doncaster against Scarborough a couple of years before
Heathcote - if ever I meet Ray Clemence, I will breate him for not letting Barry Whitbread score after he had gone round the keeper.
Howard - if only he'd got the one just before half time at Turf Moor to make it 1-1
Ellis - Oh you beauty, I told you we are better than this 1st Division sh*te
Hopkins - he's rounded the keeper, can he finish, can he.. HE CAN!!!

markecky

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 01:53:58 PM »

Ignorance is bliss. I cherish those 10 seconds when we'd scored a blinder at WHL forever more.

Its still 3-1 in my eyes to this day.

I am still gutted now.  I spent a good 3 mins shouting "HE IS FLAGGING..HE IS FLAGGING" as people jumped on each other, seats and anything they could find.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 02:01:01 PM »

i wish i had missed that fabulous trip to preston where the locals entertained us with there jolly japes and wondeful personality and also get smacked over the head by a police horse .... what fun we had that day
FFS

Railway Alty

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »

I too saw the flag before the goal and missed out on those great 5 seconds.  The Spurs players were so keen to point it out to the ref, the urgency of their complaining gave away just how worried they were.
Posted on: Yesterday at 11:31:24 pmPosted by: Jennifers Dad  
[/quote    
 Not only were their players worried, o were the fans. i had travelled down on the train and was returning on a local service full of Spurs fans, keeping my gob well shut but listening intently to comments such as "Thank f**k that liner flagged, the northen c**ts were slaughtering us" and "if that had of stood we would have lost that game, they were feckin all over us" i wanted to say something but as the only Alty fan on board i thought better of it.
Had to laugh at Euston, police all over trying to say all trains were "dry" but i walked through with the lining of my leather full of cans of Newkie Brown, how they didnt realise that as i clanked my way through i dont know, it ended up with about 10 - 15 Alty fans in the front coach havin a party (think there was other fans as well) and the on board police and train guard just turning a blind eye. what a day
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:21:36 PM by Railway Alty »
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Which big FA cup games did you miss?