PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham 0-2 FC United Full Time
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Altrincham 0-2 FC United Full Time  (Read 9604 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham 0-2 FC United Full Time
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »

You may well be right mate, but we should really rely on our strengths and play 4-4-2, you won't win this league playing 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. Last night should have been about signing off pre-season at full strength with a win.

JDN

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »

I just wonder if the 4-5-1 last night was to try out "away" tactics against a side that we knew would come at us and get in our faces? I'm not saying it excuses a poor showing, but I can't see us setting up in a 4-5-1 formation for home games next season ordinarily.

We have played 4-5-1 for most of the last 2 games, imo because Brook or Mitchley are not deemed to be plan A

Or maybe LS is wanting to overcome last years defensive problems by being negative over compensating this season? Shouldnt have to do that with the defenders he has signed

Then again if he dosent have good enough players to play up front, what else can he do?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »

You may well be right mate, but we should really rely on our strengths and play 4-4-2, you won't win this league playing 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. Last night should have been about signing off pre-season at full strength with a win.

A neutral said to me that Alty were playing a pre season friendly and FCUM were playing an FA Cup tie. On the basis of the bit I saw, and given the 'impetus' of some of the challenges being put in, that might not be a bad analysis.

However, it was a pre season, we lost, it's annoying but not terminal. The Brackley scout will not be able to tell the Brackley Management anything whatsoever about us based on that, we have picked up no injuries to take into the season and, based on what I heard last night and again today, our players ears will probably still be ringing a week tomorrow

JDN

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

A neutral said to me that Alty were playing a pre season friendly and FCUM were playing an FA Cup tie. On the basis of the bit I saw, and given the 'impetus' of some of the challenges being put in, that might not be a bad analysis.

However, it was a pre season, we lost, it's annoying but not terminal. The Brackley scout will not be able to tell the Brackley Management anything whatsoever about us based on that, we have picked up no injuries to take into the season and, based on what I heard last night and again today, our players ears will probably still be ringing a week tomorrow

Yeah but ATS your papering of the fact that the system isn't working and that some of the players arent good enough

Also that Reeves is nowhere near where we want him to be and without him we have nothing up front

taxi Phil

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »

I just wonder if the 4-5-1 last night was to try out "away" tactics against a side that we knew would come at us and get in our faces? I'm not saying it excuses a poor showing, but I can't see us setting up in a 4-5-1 formation for home games next season ordinarily.
This  was, of course, the theory I propounded  with regard to the first 65 minutes or so against Wrexham. And I think it was the same again last night. It doesn't really work, and we SHOULD be capable of taking the game to our opponents away from home if we play to our strengths. Once Reevesy gets sharpened up, he and Watmore will be a potent force. Disappointed last night, still reckon we'll beat Brackley without TOO much trouble.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »

Yeah but ATS your papering of the fact that the system isn't working and that some of the players arent good enough

Also that Reeves is nowhere near where we want him to be and without him we have nothing up front

Without wishing to cause offence I would say that in my humble opinion you are being a touch premature and niaive in stating so categorically that the system isn't working and in suggesting that some players aren't good enough.

The same players (and in the case of the first half v Wrexham, the same system) seemed to be, at worst, adequate against both Morecambe and Wrexham.

As has been stated elsewhere pre season is the time to tinker and experiment which we did and I can almost certainly guarantee (only almost certainly as I obviously wasn't in the dressing room) that the players last night have been left in no doubt as to the acceptability or otherwise of their most recent performance.

Call it papering over cracks if you will but I for one would rather lose every pre season game, have the players get a monumental boot up the arse and  start the season well

arnald

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »

time will tell ,i never expect much from friendly games, apart from nothing to play for ,
the first game is at home this season ,so advantage alty , do not let them score 2

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »

I remember the pre season match in 2008 at Stalybridge when Alty won 3-0 and played like Brazil (before certain players left the club/got injured I suppose) and expectations were sky high. Probably best for you lot if the usual suspects aren't expecting too much going into the season. If some people are talking about not being top ten, better than if you're all thinking you'll win the league. I think a burden of expectation would be a problem.

Looking forward to the 5th of November!  :)

markecky

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

I remember the pre season match in 2008 at Stalybridge when Alty won 3-0 and played like Brazil (before certain players left the club/got injured I suppose) and expectations were sky high. Probably best for you lot if the usual suspects aren't expecting too much going into the season. If some people are talking about not being top ten, better than if you're all thinking you'll win the league. I think a burden of expectation would be a problem.

A lot of past tense in there Hugh and use of the word "you"?

Got to ask, other than the obvious, whats happening on November 5th?

bumble

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »

Bedworth Utd 1 Brackley Town 0

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 05:14:45 PM »

Got to ask, other than the obvious, whats happening on November 5th?

He's probably going to eat some raw spuds followed by a few rounds of bread soaked in Robinsons orange juice, or something along those lines.   :)
Come on Alty!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »

Does he no longer support alty ?

markecky

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »

We'll know where to come if the ground burns down anyway..

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

We'll know where to come if the ground burns down anyway..

Or if someone unscrews all the toilet seats with their bare hands....

:)
Come on Alty!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »

Are we to believe that 'we' are all the enemy now Hugh? You now consider Alty as an alien team to you? Whilst your point about high expectations is a relevant and valid one, the general tome of the message is bitter to say the least and all this stemming from a difference of opinion with some (note, not all as there is room for all viewpoints here) supporters all those moons ago?

Carrying such bitterness around with you is far from healthy and you should be able to let go of the past, whatever about looking forward to future fireworks.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham 0-2 FC United Full Time