PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fabulous gesture by the York City Squad
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fabulous gesture by the York City Squad  (Read 7136 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »

The York City first team squad have purchased tickets for all york supporters that have travelled to tonights FA trophy reply at Grays as a gesture of thanks for them travelling all the way too such a fixture at such a time of year.Fair play to them, footballers get a lot of bad press these days, hats off to York.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Fabulous gesture by the York City Squad
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »

bloody good gesture that, grays aint the nicest place to go on a rainy tuesday night! i'm guessing that there are not as many as the 500 who turned up on saturday!!!

York

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »

bloody good gesture that, grays aint the nicest place to go on a rainy tuesday night! i'm guessing that there are not as many as the 500 who turned up on saturday!!!

About 100 apparently.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »

I was going to post yesterday that it would be a shame if either Alty or York went out of the league - I was going to say this because of the fabulous York support. It seems I underestimated the team too.

There seems to be abig difference between the Yorks and (for instance) Oxfords of this world. York want to be promoted, but realise they have to fight for it and have welcomed & not patronised the competition in this league. Some teams, however, seem to think they have a divine right to promotion back up to the football league.

Anyone else get that impression?

Butty

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »

yes, and most managers sum up this is their post match comments. How many imes this season have we battled and got 1/3 points and the opposing manager has said, "we should be beating teams like altrincham". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but did the York manager say this?

matnvfcmad

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:15:46 PM »

the magnitude of the gesture rather depends on when they made the decision though!   ;)

Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »

the magnitude of the gesture rather depends on when they made the decision though!   ;)

Irrelevant!

Narcissist

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:48:15 AM »

Well done York!

A brilliant gesture. Im thinking it was well over a grand so it was no small ammount from each pocket. I take my hat off to each and every one of them!

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »

I think I'd better correct some parts of this story!

The players gave their allocation of complimentary tickets (which I assume were supposed to be for their families who obviously were not going to attend a Tuesday night away game at Grays!) to the fans who travelled on the official supporters bus (which was a grand total of 14 people).

So they didn't spend a grand of their own money, and they didn't give every single person who went a free ticket, but it was still a really nice thing to do and having spent a shedload at Alty on Saturday, it was very much appreciated.

Also, thanks for the nice comments about our club, Altrincham FC is held in a similar high regard over this side too and long may our meetings for football, banter, beers and merriment continue in the future.

Narcissist

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »

I take it back, they're all overpiad wretches who deserve relegation!

markecky

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »

Pete Hughes in expand on story shocker!

Trickster

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »

Irrelevant!

It's not irrelevant at all. There is a big difference between saying "if you fancy going to the game tonight we'll pay for your ticket" and saying "well seeing as you're here, we'll pay for your ticket" knowing how many fans are going to turn up.

Now we know what really happened, it wasn't exactly a "fabulous" gesture. More a nice thought. Still commendable, but not quite how the original post makes it out to be.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »

Irrelevant!

It's not irrelevant at all. There is a big difference between saying "if you fancy going to the game tonight we'll pay for your ticket" and saying "well seeing as you're here, we'll pay for your ticket" knowing how many fans are going to turn up.

Now we know what really happened, it wasn't exactly a "fabulous" gesture. More a nice thought. Still commendable, but not quite how the original post makes it out to be.
A commendable gesture is a commendable gesture. It does not matter at all when it is made.

Trickster

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 08:28:35 PM »

Irrelevant!

A commendable gesture is a commendable gesture. It does not matter at all when it is made.

Oh dear, go back and read what I wrote, slowly if it helps. I did in fact say that it was a commendable gesture.

The post referred to the magnitude of the gesture. Are you suggesting that if you gave £1 to charity, that would be the same as giving £1000. No of course you're not.

markecky

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »

Who asked you?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team