https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hello!

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2165 times)

ROBINs

Hello!
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:09:02 AM »

Hi Guys,

Had a search on tinternet and found you. Great site!

I must confess I have only been following my beloved Alty on a part time basis as since I moved away and got married, kids etc I have not been to a match in years.

Could you quickly tell me what's been going on for the last 3 seasons where we have been relegated then re-instated :o I assume other teams have had finantial difficulties??

Still can't believe we haven't made it into the League after all this time :'( Even Accrington Stanley have done it, who are they....exactly ???

Cheers,

Martin

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »

you probably followed alty in late 70s early80s ? when we should have been in the league but whilst the bsp remains mainly full time it isnt realistic at the moment.

ROBINs

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »

Not 70's  :o no I'm not that old.

Started going to matches in 1992 till about 2000, been cringing following results ever since. I first got interested when I lived in Timperley and heard about them beating Birmingham City (a then top flight team, the only time one has been beaten by a non league side on their own ground as far as I'm aware?) in 1985/86.

So is anyone going to fill me in on what's happened over the last 3 years please(just in a nutshell will do no war and peace required)? Sorry if it's the most obvious question you guys are sick of being asked  ;)

Bath Alty

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »

We are not alone in beating top flight opposition in the cup.  Wimbledon won somewhere (Burnley?) when they were still non-league.

The last three years have been characterised by GH doing a good job at assembling a decent squad on a shoe string, playing mainly defensive football and doing just enough to claim the "AGM" position in the league. i.e. top of the relegation spots which was enough to keep us up due to one of the many clubs that are currently overspending on full time squads getting caught out and going bust.

In cup competitions we have been a) unlucky with the draws and b) sh*t.  We have won one FA Cup or FA Trophy match in 3 years!

We have finally cleared all our debts and now have a thriving youth set up after joining with one of the local youth clubs (Hale Barns?).

Oh and Colin Little is superb!

RocketDan

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »

So is anyone going to fill me in on what's happened over the last 3 years please

the have a new toilet block and snack bar.

and the fit women from the burger van has left.

Longman

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »

So is anyone going to fill me in on what's happened over the last 3 years please

the have a new toilet block and snack bar.

I was absolutely devastated last night when I went to get a brew and couldn't perve at her botty whilst she turned round to make it,  :'(

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »

oh yeah and daryl clare always scores against us.

ROBINs

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:06:02 AM »

[/quote]

Damn, never mind

We are not alone in beating top flight opposition in the cup.  Wimbledon won somewhere (Burnley?) when they were still non-league.

The last three years have been characterised by GH doing a good job at assembling a decent squad on a shoe string, playing mainly defensive football and doing just enough to claim the "AGM" position in the league. i.e. top of the relegation spots which was enough to keep us up due to one of the many clubs that are currently overspending on full time squads getting caught out and going bust.

In cup competitions we have been a) unlucky with the draws and b) sh*t.  We have won one FA Cup or FA Trophy match in 3 years!

We have finally cleared all our debts and now have a thriving youth set up after joining with one of the local youth clubs (Hale Barns?).

Oh and Colin Little is superb!

I know we are not alone in beating top flight teams (Div 1 back in the day now the premiership) but as far as I was aware we are the only team to beat them on their own ground, in this case St Andrews. I suppose this was done in the 50's/60's but not in the modern era?

So what you are saying is some teams are using "credit cards " to pay wages etc and we are using our current account. Fair enough. As has been shown the finances seem the no1 priority in keeping a team afloat and in the Conference, sorry Bluesquare thingy...
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hello!