Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Professionalisation of the Conference National.

Author Topic: Professionalisation of the Conference National.  (Read 1174 times)

finnquark

« on: May 10, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »

I've only been following Alty for about 3-4 years, and I often see on here reminiscences and posts referring to when the top tier of non-league football was genuinely a part-time league. Can anyone enlighten me as to when this shift took place for the majority of the league, and does anyone have any ideas why?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Professionalisation of the Conference National.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:56:12 PM »

Barnet were the first proper nonleague club to spend mega bucks in the early 90s bankrolled by celeb ticket tout stan flashman, professionalism came about due to none of the league sides that came down went part time and went back up very quickly as the only full time clubs in the conference,so they all followed this route,and eventually some started staying down and the bigger conference clubs,yeovil, bankrolled rushden started turning pro to keep up with these ex league clubs

taxi Phil

Re: Professionalisation of the Conference National.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:35 AM »

I also have a theory that the influx of overseas players has led to players who would have been in the League becoming displaced. These players wish to remain full time pro, and the "richer" Conference clubs give them that opportunity.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team