PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Grahame Rowley - Are we down already?
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Grahame Rowley - Are we down already?  (Read 8565 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Grahame Rowley - Are we down already?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up Grahame - I thought it was Dr's not pharmacists who couldn't write properly!

Narcissist

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »

Thank you for the many responses to my posting on the club's website yesterday.

Firstly may I apolgise for stating "the 4 relegated teams" when I meant "the 4 teams in the relagation places" - an oversight on my part.

It saddens me that this point was the main one commented on when the statement was just meant to express my feelings about this season. It was posted pre Weymouth so that it did not appear reactionary.

Anyone who knows me, or any of my family, should know that the last thing that we want is our club to be relegated - it would hurt us as much as any of you.

We are all now about to leave for Weymouth, to cheer on the lads WHATEVER the outcome. Let's hope fortune shines on us for once.

See you all there.

Grahame

Who is this? No point in coming on here behind some made up pseudo!

just kidding.

I think you're wrong though. Take out the freudian slip about relegation and the piece still echoes an attitude that the board has towards GH and the largely differing opinion of the fanbase.

Nobody on here would question your commitment or love for the club, certainly not unless they were mildly deranged. However, the sum of all parts says to me that there is still something wrong with our end result this season, and the board have to take accountability.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 01:37:14 PM »

Well said Narcissist.

Because of failures of the board in the past (i.e. under the old regime), there seems to a complete fear of taking a risk. I don't necessarily mean spending beyond our means, but just recognising that certain things need freshening up. We understand the restraints that GH and the board face due to being PT and skint, but why not let someone else have a go? On paper our players are better than in previous years yet we're not getting anywhere and our performances, arguably, are getting worse.

To the fans (or some of them anyway), it seems we're banging our head against a brick wall.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »

Grahame has always been very open and available. I don't think I have ever been to Moss Lane & not seen him & his family there.

Geoff, Grahame & the board have been magnificent and have stabilised a club that was in a very precarious position. They have done this with integrity. I doubt there is a single fan who would want any other board.

GH has been over a very long time a great servant to the club over many years in many roles. There cannot be too many managers who could have done a better job. The board have shown something rare in football these days: loyalty.

Many of us have questioned GH's tactics on occassion & conduct certainly - with justification at times. I give credit to the board for standing by GH and know that any decision they make with regard to the management is, in their beliefs,  in the best interests of the club - just as we comment on the forum with the same intent in mind. Yes, there are those comments that lack a constructive edge, but I do not doubt the love of this club by any of the Alty fans on here - and I think the board & management know just how fervently AFC is supported.

Fans have the right to question the board & manager, but not abuse (but I believe the number of fans who do this is a minority) and it is good that Grahame has taken it upon himself to reply. This reply is not only eloquent, but appears to me to be very heartfelt.

Anyone who has put so much into any type of organisation, with so little in return in real terms (except, maybe, frustration - as we all suffer!), deserves much credit (that applies to all the board) and the right to be heard.

With the exception of the one faux pas this is an excellent article and when people of the calibre of Grahame & Geoff (for instance) talk, we should listen.

We might not always agree with the board, but I don't think we could have a better one.
We might not always agree with the manager, but there can be no-one who is as passionate about Alty FC. Whatever decision GG & Co make about the manager - I agree with Grahame on this - we support them, but also constructively tell them if we disagree.

Jennifers Dad  aka Nick Smith

markecky

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 09:22:20 PM »

An excellent article? Time will telll......

I'm afraid  the level of emotion that it has stirred from people who I have spoken to today is something I have not experienced in 20 years of being involved.

Hamilton

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »

Excellent or not, at least we know Grahame's thoughts - we can at least  give him credit for that

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »

With the greatest possible respect (and I really mean that, it's not just a sop) There are many people equally as, if not possibly more, passionate about Alty as Graham and many, if not all of them actually pay their hard earned money and take time away from work and/or loved ones to travel all over the country to support the team.

Nobody is questioning anybody's commitment or passion for a second but I do think that some people are  questioning whether it is right to continue with things as they are (and have been for some considerable time I'm afraid to say)

It must be very stressful and sometimes demoralising for Graham Heathcote to continue to face the problems of which we are all too aware as it must be for the Board to see the position the Club has got itself into on the field when compared to its current off field state. Is it fair to expect these people to continue to subject themselves to these stresses?

However it is a football club and it's 'product' is football, where possible successful football.

Is this being delivered?  Being truthful not really at the moment.

What can we do about it? Every individual will have their own opinion and it is important that ALL are allowed to express their opinions even though only a few can actually make the decisions that need making.

Should it be compared to running a business? Not in my view. Yes you do need to have business processes in place to ensure that you run your club legally and efficiently, just like a business but it patently isn't a business - many of the 'HR' decisions made at a football club would not fit at all into any successful  business model really would they?

And for anyone who is unaware of my pseudonym I'm Phil Taylor ex Safety Officer

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »

Bloody hell Phil, you've hit the nail on the head there completely.  8)

No disrespect  :D but the phrase there can be no-one who is as passionate about Alty FC. makes me hit the roof every time.

Even if it was actually true. So f**king what?

Hamilton

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 09:46:21 PM »

With the greatest possible respect (and I really mean that, it's not just a sop) There are many people equally as, if not possibly more, passionate about Alty as Graham and many, if not all of them actually pay their hard earned money and take time away from work and/or loved ones to travel all over the country to support the team.

Phil, don't you think Grahame has put much "Hard earned" into the club and taken time away from work?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 09:53:12 PM »

Yes Grahame has!

I was trying to get away from the constant willy measuring contests that people have on other peoples behalf so please accept my post in the spirit it was composed

Everyone does what they can, no more, no less and that's all that can be asked for

Hamilton

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »

Yes Grahame has!

I was trying to get away from the constant willy measuring contests that people have on other peoples behalf so please accept my post in the spirit it was composed

Everyone does what they can, no more, no less and that's all that can be asked for

Humiliation prevents me from entering such contests.

One thingwe can agree on, however, is that Alty has the best fans.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Grahame Rowley - Are we down already?