PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Halifax (h) match thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Halifax (h) match thread  (Read 8550 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax (h) match thread
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2022, 09:58:49 PM »

It's probably fairer to say that I don't think he's definitively proved to me that he's the answer just yet.

Might sound a bit reactive after today, but we all saw what happened when we thought we'd be OK with Jordan leading the line coming into this season.

Nothing wrong with wanting to continue to push for better.

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2022, 10:41:22 PM »

I can see why some have a different view of Jennings, but I'm in full agreement that he is the best we have had in a long time.

He holds the ball up and brings players into the game really well. He showed some of that today but was perhaps a bit less sharp than usual.

For me, it can be no coincidence that the upturn in form we have seen came after his arrival.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2022, 10:46:45 PM »

The upturn in form can be attributed predominantly towards the return of Isaac Marriott, surely.

Freddie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 10:55:27 PM »

The upturn in form can be attributed predominantly towards the return of Isaac Marriott, surely.

Yes I agree, Marriott has been immense and so have many of the other players, but Jennings has been number 9 in our most consistent side. Surely he has made a contribution, rather than been a hindrance?

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 11:36:21 PM »

For those sniping at Jennings, give your head a wobble.

People have slagged Dinanga off since we first signed him.

Hulme, as commented, isn't doing what we expected

Jennings has been more than decent. Any player is entitled to a sub optimal game

You did describe Baines as a terrible signing and it is very embarrassing that you think Cooper is better than him. Baines is a defender above.

Jennings is wayyyy past his best. Hulme or Dinanga are better options. Newby made Jennings look better than he is,  due to being in those positions. Jennings is about flick on's, without two capable wide players he is ineffective, like today.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 11:41:09 PM by oneedham »

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 11:47:36 PM »

I still think that there's a catastrophic mistake in Baines.

Re Jennings' flick ons...surely it's incumbent on other players to anticipate him winning (the majority) of aerial balls and make the required movements to get on the end. I have liked Dinanga, unlike many. In fact I have liked Hulme but, IMO, Jennings is currently a better fit for what we need

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2022, 11:49:28 PM »

Dont think Baines has made any catastrophic errors.

He's won me over
Full time and proud of it

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2022, 12:00:35 AM »

I've not been able to see many games this season but today I saw Baines for the first time and he looks like a real quality centre back. He had his work cut out against their number 9 but acquitted himself admirably.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2022, 02:33:04 AM »

For those sniping at Jennings, give your head a wobble.

People have slagged Dinanga off since we first signed him.

Hulme, as commented, isn't doing what we expected

Jennings has been more than decent. Any player is entitled to a sub optimal game

You did describe Baines as a terrible signing and it is very embarrassing that you think Cooper is better than him. Baines is a defender above.

Jennings is wayyyy past his best. Hulme or Dinanga are better options. Newby made Jennings look better than he is,  due to being in those positions. Jennings is about flick on's, without two capable wide players he is ineffective, like today.

Baines made a terrible start. I don’t think that would be unfair, although he was being moved about and has definitely improved with a run of games in his best possession (and with an actual goalkeeper behind him) but even so I wouldn’t say he was a terrible signing because his age, profile and experience was the target level we should be looking at.

With that in mind, when decisions get made about Jennings eventually, unless he’s really obviously making a difference we might have to accept the fact that Dinanga is 6(?) years younger than both him and Hulme and the striker we have to work with going forward?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »

I don't often disagree with Ballers, but Dinanga has never convinced me, and I think we still need to source a genuinely threatening no.9

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2022, 12:13:41 PM »

The team are full of confidence and playing really well , what an amazing transformation when 12 weeks ago we were bottom with no wins from 9 games and most of us were doubting the management duo to turn the tide . The players are rightly being lauded for the turnaround and full marks too for Phil and Neil . Great work guys 👏

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2022, 12:22:41 PM »

We will never be a playoff threat if we dont have an out and out goalscorers. Especially if our wingers are loans/keep getting poached due to be our top scorers...
It's all my fault.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2022, 12:58:19 PM »

I agree entirely with Swindelsworth's post. It goes to show ongoing that Phil and Neil are the right management team for this club. Sone of our fans are too quick to criticise when things do go slightly awry. The season did not start well, but there were many changes during close season, including the dynamic of the team going part to full time. The loss of Matty and Isaac did not help. We have improved and potentially are play-off chasers. There is currently no pressure on us, just lets see how far we can go, and develop from there.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »

We are way off being ready for the play offs imho but we're getting there and it's great to be looking up rather than down.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2022, 01:48:54 PM »

I don't often disagree with Ballers, but Dinanga has never convinced me, and I think we still need to source a genuinely threatening no.9

Surely if Goodwin is only at Torquay till Jan, we ask Stoke to send him here instead? Fits the exact profile in terms of age and all-round game that we'd be looking for. Then we just send Jennings back and say thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Halifax (h) match thread