PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The (sweet) FA Cup....
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The (sweet) FA Cup....  (Read 5673 times)

Dougals Dad

Re: The (sweet) FA Cup....
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »

Agree with other comments on this topic that playing just one up front at home especially in the cup cannot be a great idea.. Twiss doesnt strike me as being a lone striker type of player and I felt would have benefitted more if say Reeves was alongside him.. We havent got any midfielders who can burst forward and support the fwds and there is always a gaping hole when opposition defences clear the ball, we never have anybody to pick up the bits and maintain the pressure on them...

I still maintain that if we are going to get out of the mess we are in then a place in midfield must be found for at least either Danylyk or Lawton.. Classic play makers they are not but they do break up play and give us a platform to push forward...

If we want to progress in the cup competitions then lets get after teams from the off.

Gateshead seemed to have come for a draw and get us back at there place next Tues....

I hate to say this folks but today the  "Eternal Optimist" had a bit of a reality check and I now fear for us for the rest of the season.... Kenny Mc and Bimson have done well with what they have done so far and seem to have bought in some decent loan players but time is pushing on now and we have a batch of tricky league  games on the horizon..

Players of Altrincham FC... Your fans need you more than ever now to stand up and be counted... Try your best and we will support you all the way.......

Cmon ALTY...

or - to play Devil's advocate - 3 players who can't get into other Conference teams

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »

.....is over early again this season. I thought we were depressingly poor this afternoon. Shaun Densmore chose today to have the poorest game I've ever seen him play in an Alty shirt. Michael Twiss's economy of effort was again noticeable I'm afraid. Nicky Clee was too deep to be effective. Hewson was very disappointing. Not sure what Stu was doing on the first goal - thought it must have deflected but I'm reliably informed not.

WE CANNOT KEEP PLAYING WITH ONE MAN UP FRONT.

Positives ? Joseph was tidy again until he was taken off (tactical, we assume. In which case it was a total failure.) Thought Milne put in a decent shift, and is worth hanging on to as long as we can. James Smith was his usual self - let's hope the injury isn't serious, because we can't afford to lose him for any amount of time. Somner worked hard (but for little reward). Baynes started poorly, possibly due to lack of match fitness, but showed enough later on to give hope he could be worth having on board.

Not a lot is it ?

I really don't know where we go from here.

Phil,

After witnessing that negative drivel this afternoon, this is where I went:

http://www.samaritans.org/

Shameful.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »

They're very good Barry - I might do a season ticket exchange if things continue in this vein !

markecky

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »

Yesterday was just the usual baffling FA Cup showing, its the only match where the players have the chance to get a bonus as well that makes it all the more stupid.

The team started as I would have expected, he made the only change most people around me wanted with Baynes coming in for Holsgrove and he couldnt have changed anything else after last weeks soild performance.

However we should have changed it earlier and tried to create more.  Twiss is decent at holding it up but if he has no one to lay it off to the move ends there.

No excuses but I can't see many people giving credit to Gateshead.  They were solid, well organised and got it out to the wings well.  The ginger no 5 is one of the best centre halves in the league I'd say.  

Its just a shame they are a ticking time bomb until the backer pulls out due to the "town not supporting him"

Only positive for me was that Baynes looked to have some promise seeing as though he hasnt really played much competitive football.  And that was it.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:39:03 AM by markecky »

wonderstuff

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 08:49:27 AM »

Nicky Clee was deep in his own half a lot of the time and when Alty managed to go forward he didn't pull out on to the wing very much, but the the most useless player for me was Robbie Williams. He looked really uncomfortable on the ball, his high crosses up the wing ended up out of play and his crosses on the ground ended up at the feet of Gateshead. Twiss looked knackered. Gutted. First game I've been able to get to for a while and it was a terrible one. The better team won.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:06 AM »

I thought I knew what my preferred Alty team was, it was very similar to the team that started yesterday.
However, by the end I really wasn't sure anymore and wished we had someone like Robbie Lawton to call upon. I don't want to see anymore displays like that ever again.
Terrible!!

andrewflynn

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »

Coming off the back of the garbage that was Eastbourne we managed a spirited win over Barrow. Similarly after Histon where we were awful, we went and beat Fleetwood. These games were ones where we needed an improved performance because the last one was a debacle, and to everyone's delight we have given good performances.

But we've never followed them up, eventually we are back to square one. After looking back over it I agree with the replies to the thread I posted yesterday; we were awful. I was just trying to see the bright side of it because I didn't want to accept how much we didn't turn up.

Perhaps we only play well after playing crap.. if that's the key way our team gets motivation then we're gone.

EDIT: On the plus side, maybe they will go out wanting to improve, again, at Hayes.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:40:20 AM by TimperleyRobin »

AltyIan

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 10:36:14 AM »

This tie reminded me of the Mansfield tie last year:

No Effort
No real attacking mindset
No passion

The only difference was that we were playing at home and should have brought the game to gateshead not the other way around, we've been knocked out to a below par team at home, without worrying their keeper once and yet again before the competition even starts. The draw at 12.30 once again will hurt, and if this trend continues next year then there is no real point in us even turning up in future.

A sorely needed £12,500 missed out on and who knows maybe a trip to southampton or charlton. The players didn't look motivated apart from 2 minutes after they scored, if i was Kenny I would be asking big questions as to why this is.

Sorely Disappointed this morning.

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »

Same feelings on yesterday’s game which was one of great disappointment and a bit shell shocked after last weeks win.
In my opinion what was basically the same team that played last week, but with what we thought a little improved, I thought like many others that we were going to progress through to the next round.

How wrong we were! Gateshead was a different proposition they bossed central midfield and had a very good defence (which we struggled to put under pressure) they also had mobile strikers which put our defence under pressure the whole time causing poor defensive clearances (especially Williams).

We failed to match the Gateshead formation, we had so few players in Midfield we were on the back foot for the whole game and we allowed Gateshead to grow in confidence, but to be fair we did contain the opposition and it was looking like a draw, that was until James Smith went off and that was it- game over.

We are basically on a slow turnaround of what is a bad start to the league season and the FA Cup probably came at the wrong time?

Have a go was the cry from the stand! But it was clear we struggled to change our formation and I suspect the management team just wanted to stay in the game which was my guess, until we went behind.

So back to the league and continued but slow improvement and climb out of the bottom four.

Lets be honest if you are a football fan I would think Gateshead look a better bet for progress through the next round than a poor Altrincham team struggling to improve – but improve we will but a little slower than most people expect. 

Onwards and upwards.

brian1925

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »

I understand that there's not a great deal of glory in being bankrolled on crowds of a couple of hundred, but full credit to a very professional Gateshead team yesterday - they completely outplayed us, not because we were poor, but because they were quite a slick outfit. The ginger centre half (Curtis I think) is playing at a level miles below his ability and I think his central partner Clark and right back Kay probably are too. I'd say they're probably in with a shot of the playoffs, if they can keep that level of performance up. We actually did ok for much of the game. Twiss tried hard by himself, Baynes ran at them a bit, Joseph was solid again at left back until he was inexplicably taken off! I wish Robbie would keep his foot on the ball a bit, rather than simply hoofing it up every time and I wish Nicky would stick on the left, rather than sitting so deep and central - it looked like he'd given up taking on Kay. Hewson was harried everytime he got the ball and simply wasn't allowed to play by their midfield. We were just done like a kipper and should give credit to Gateshead for being much better - don't know how professional it was for their keeper to actually tell us that though!

VofD

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 02:13:25 PM »

Having bowed out of the FA cup with barely a whimper, it's now time to see how Ken McKenna turns around the situation. The result last week against a very out of sorts Fleetwood side was a token gesture but today the chance to gain well needed financial resources and a potential money spinning tie was thrown firmly out of the window. Proven players sit idly by as other are played in positions they are not accustomed to and the result was plain to see today. If Smith is out for any period of time where do we stand with regards to replacement especially if Matt Doughty has gone to Nantwich. For me today we missed a golden opportunity so what will Ken do now ?

Get rid of his effin clipboard for a start.There we were ,one nil down, with not long to play,and he and Bimson are stood reading a clipboard. You don't need a clipboard to realise that bodies forward was required to try and equalise in a  FA cup tie, FFS. >:( >:( >:( and 2 other words : CLUELESS & GUTLESS.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:18:57 PM by VofD »

Dougals Dad

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »

BBC take the pi** (in their non-league page)

ALTRINCHAM
FA Cup - fourth qualifying round

I hate to say this, but wtf has this to do with us?
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The (sweet) FA Cup....